Question about NYC travel...

smiling.politely

I hadn't seen this answered in other NYC threads, so I thought it would be worth a quick ask here. For anyone from NYC, or who have travelled there, what would you recommend as the best/easiest way to affordably travel the city? Bus, train, etc.? And is there some sort of travel card that can be acquired (similar to an Oyster card in London)? We'll be staying in Queens, but a lot of the things we want to go do are in other boroughs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Queens is slightly more isolated in terms of public transportation than the other burroughs, but if you want to make a full day out of it, you can get there via bus then get on the metro. You're gonna be looking about 2 bucks a ride (average between weekday and weekend rates). But yeah, cabs are everywhere if you just get tired. I'll back up there in two weeks for some Kings Ave hangage and...ahem...the New York City Comic Con. <nerd alert>

Rides are $2.50 each, no matter weekend or weekday, on the subway and bus via a Metrocard (there are kiosks in nearly every station that take cash and/or credit/debit cards.) Express buses are more expensive - I doubt you'll have to worry about those. I recommend getting a pay per ride, put $19.05 on it (gives you 8 rides and no balance on the card.)

Getting around the subway is not a problem - get a good map, research ahead of time, you'll be fine. It's just like going to other places in the world: learn the lay of the land and you'll be fine.

Mta.info has postings re: weekend and weekday subway alerts, sevice changes, etc. Google maps are fairly reliable for subway directions (again, check mta.info for service changes - especially on the weekends or in the middle of the night.)

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha @daveborjes - I think my mother in law re-reads that pamphlet every time she comes here...

Thanks to everyone for the advice. We haven't had any issues when travelling London via the Tube (aside from the fiancée getting squeezed onto a train before me, and having to double check the number of stops with me through the glass while she panicked a bit), so I'd imagine we can adapt to the subway there. We were looking at potentially starting one day at Smith Street, then walking to the Shirts and Destroy store. Other than that, everything we'll be looking to do will likely be in Manhattan.

I'd also seen that Fear City pamphlet before, hopefully I look sketchy enough to any regular folks that I'll get the respect and fear that only two art degrees can bring. Wait, two art degrees... why aren't I staying in Williamsburg?

Thanks! I also forget that, having grown up in the country, and being engaged to another person who is adverse to driving, we have a different idea of what's a normal walk than most people do. It'll depend on her lingering jet lag from moving here from Ireland, as well as our time frame (and how much money we want to spend between points A & B, as I'm sure we'd get lured in to spend).

• 4 weeks later...