Fueling the culture / getting tattooed by big names

joakim urma

You're right... I was thinking about going to Horitomo or Rubendall, but they would probably give me something washed out and faded looking anyway. Probably not even worth thinking about getting anything on my back for now.

Not now, maybe not ever. Why would you get tattooed on your back anyway, you'll never see it, and unless you plan on spending most of your time shirtless, neither will anybody else.

It's not about the name for me, it's about the power. You find the right tattooer, they can communicate your idea through their art in a powerful way. AP Shrewsbury wasn't a big name tattooer when I got tattooed by him, but his Seraph of the Crucified tattoo on my shin consistently gets the most attention out of all of my tattoos. It's bold, simple and powerful - that's the kind of tattoo I want.

People see similar powerful tattoos on others and they're drawn to that. Maybe those big-name tattooers aren't hitting you the same way.

So, I can't start working like Shige or Filip? Of course, I'm referring to seeming constant shirtlessness, not the tattoo work (as I hope to one day be 2% of the tattooer that either of them are in terms of ability and productivity)?

EDIT: In terms of someone having a name, the person who has tattooed the overall largest area of my body so far is my boss. Starting my frontpiece was fairly important in me getting me the chance to scrub the toilets for no pay, since it showed that I was serious. He is an amazing, well-rounded tattooer who does world class work, who hasn't done conventions or put himself out too far into the world after gaining sole custody of his son about 10 years ago (preventing him from working the Bay Area Convention for his first time). From my dealing with big name tattooers and booking appointments, he usually books out three or four times as far as all but the biggest names (there are far less options around our area with a comparable skill set, though, which means a larger percentage go to a handful of people, or just a few shops in our town).

If I were to be at a convention, if anyone from here recognized me, it'd probably be from the eagle he put on my head (if I had short hair... otherwise, it'd just be two or three folks that have found me on IG).

Too much brain consumption in this thread for me to eloquently add to it...

However, @mmikaoj if it helps, I totally understood what you said in your original post. I think everyone (yourself included) made valid points on the discussion of old tattooers. Personally, I lean towards up and coming with the pipe dream that they may be the Eddy Deutsche's or Horiyoshi III's of the future. Right?!

And @hatchettjack I don't think you get what tattooing means to a lot of the folks on here.

I've seen work from "name" artists that wasn't the greatest, but I wouldn't say any of them have "lost" it. They are all human and have off days. I used to get bent out of shape if I noticed anything on a tattoo what wasn't perfect, but now I step back and look at the piece as a whole. It would be ridiculous to write off a whole suit based on a couple blow outs/poorly healed shading here and there.

I'm in the same boat as @Graeme , I've travelled for tattoos based on how the work connects with me, and how the interaction was with the artist themselves. Skill is irrelevant if the person is an asshole.

That being said, Horiyoshi III finished this piece up in July. Can't say I'd object to being the owner!

10580099_1513314845572250_1403881184066590267_n.jpg?oh=adc2af9266a7f65dc97abfea52d4d535&oe=54BB642C&__gda__=1421735036_de666ff8b4fcab3e6f403da365a30884

Travelling isn't my bag, so typically, "celebrity" tattooers aren't even an option. I universally don't support centralization like that... even if it helps something grow

There are so many reasons and ways to get tattooed that I can't say there's a right way. I think that the "soul" of a tattoo is really what matters. Without LST or these streets I'd never see tattoos anymore because I'm just not interested in pictures unless they're historical. Off the top of my head I could name three tattooers I would go to tomorrow that are just a short trip away, and that feels right to me. I'm conscious of what the tattoo world is doing outside of my bubble but I just don't care. There are artists who grab me and there are artists who don't, whether theyre famous or not isn't gonna affect their art.

Most of the work I ask people about walking around turns out to be from Invisible, and if I ever needed work like that, I'd go there for it. What does that tell you?

Not now, maybe not ever. Why would you get tattooed on your back anyway, you'll never see it, and unless you plan on spending most of your time shirtless, neither will anybody else.

I've now just come to the sad realisation that I've wasted all these years, endured all this pain suiting down for nothing!!! I should have just slammed hands, forearms and neck pipe.

"Booze, Blues & Tattoos"

I've now just come to the sad realisation that I've wasted all these years, endured all this pain suiting down for nothing!!! I should have just slammed hands, forearms and neck pipe.

Um, isn't that what some of the kids are doing now? You would have been the trend-setter :)

You know what irks me infinitely more than the hands/forearms/neck woah bro I'm totally covered tattoos.

Those damn ear gauges make me insane. They look so awful, almost beats face tattoos in my book

@Dennis

one of the things I truly love about Horiyoshi is that he can do sort of a large scale black and grey piece with these perfectly placed pops of color. He does it so well, it is why I look at him like a master of the art.

one of the things I truly love about Horiyoshi is that he can do sort of a large scale black and grey piece with these perfectly placed pops of color. He does it so well, it is why I look at him like a master of the art.

I'd continue on my multi-thread reign of sarcasm this evening and just blow off that Horiyoshi dragon face as washed out, but that would be way out of line. That piece is just jaw dropping fucking awesome. It's not only the pops of color like you said, but the cooler black and grey that moves into warmer tans in places. There is so much activity and energy there just in the way the grey and tan play off of one another.

I am slammed at work, yet I just read this entire thread. And I'm glad that I did, because there's some great back and forth in it. Thanks to everyone who posted something good here.

I don't count my tattoos, but I do keep a list of who has tattooed me. Two weeks from today, I'm getting something from someone who's been on my wish list for a few years now. He'll be artist #42 for me. Then again, I started getting tattooed 20+ years ago. Some of the names on that list are very well-known. Some of them are complete unknowns. One of them is no longer alive, two of them have since stopped tattooing, and three of them were shit on in the this thread's first post. ;) Not a single name on that list makes me better (or worse) than anyone else who gets tattooed. But every one of them is a part of a story--my story. Just as every tattoo I have comes with a story of its own. I love meeting people and sharing stories, which is part of what I love so much about getting tattooed and hanging out with awesome people like so many of you.

I'll stop rambling now, but thanks again to those of you who made this thread worth reading.

I am slammed at work, yet I just read this entire thread. And I'm glad that I did, because there's some great back and forth in it. Thanks to everyone who posted something good here.

I don't count my tattoos, but I do keep a list of who has tattooed me. Two weeks from today, I'm getting something from someone who's been on my wish list for a few years now. He'll be artist #42 for me. Then again, I started getting tattooed 20+ years ago. Some of the names on that list are very well-known. Some of them are complete unknowns. One of them is no longer alive, two of them have since stopped tattooing, and three of them were shit on in the this thread's first post. ;) Not a single name on that list makes me better (or worse) than anyone else who gets tattooed. But every one of them is a part of a story--my story. Just as every tattoo I have comes with a story of its own. I love meeting people and sharing stories, which is part of what I love so much about getting tattooed and hanging out with awesome people like so many of you.

I'll stop rambling now, but thanks again to those of you who made this thread worth reading.

Perfectly articulated post. Thank you for sharing!

@hogg wins again.

I'll admit that when I got in to tattooing, I was directed to Richard Stell without knowing a damn thing about him. The guest spot news was broken on this website, and I was pushed by several members to take the plunge and get something.

Should I feel dirty about that by going to a big name and not knowing his legacy? Maybe. I put my trust in the knowledge here on LST, and I never had a doubt I was making a poor decision. I wanted to be part of a community, and experience the things that other people were experiencing, so I just went with it. Was asking him to do something uncharacteristic of his style wrong? Some people may think so. Asking an artist to do a different style could be considered sacrilege to some. In my naivete I asked for something he doesn't generally do, but damn if he wasn't excited to do it.

I have no regrets, and I also learned that you don't really understand someone until you meet them. You could follow artists on Instagram, and hear about them in other shops from other people's experiences, but until you sit with Stell and hear him, first hand, talk about his old biker days and how he had pet alligators and all the other crazy stuff, you can't fully understand.

I would hope that people who seek out big names, solely for the name, have a better respect for that person afterwards instead of just, "Yeah I got XX to do this."