After more than 20 years

philfish66

Hi there my name is phil im an ex government body guard and before that i was a stone mason.now i make fish replic's. well to cut a long story short i need help with an old tattoo i had done 30 years ago. i want to have it covered. so ive joined you on here to hopefully get some ideas on where to start. thanks for letting me in and thanks for your time.

phil

i tryed to post a picture i think it went to the gallery or mine lol thanks for the feed back. ive looked at a few things but i think as the tattoo is so big 46cm 50cm on my back and its black out line colour is green then ive been told i need laser treatment first before a cover up could be done well.

- - - Updated - - -

20141004_122201_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that thing looks like it might need a few rounds with the old laser before you cover it up. You're best off talking to a tattooer about it though. Awesome subject matter by the way!!

Would you be willing to travel a bit to get it covered? I did a search and London is around 270 kilometers from where you're located, right?

If not, it looks like these guys in Sheffield does some solid work.

BLACK ANCHOR TATTOO | One of the UK's most up and coming Tattoo Studios Brands

Maybe some LSTers with a little more knowledge on UK Tattoo demography can pitch in?

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you keep us updated on your tattoo ventures :)

thanks for the feed back. i will keep you up dated. one thing that is the problem for me. Is i have now got to 48 years old and i have seen lots of work done. the quality is mind blowing on some. i dont want a dragon now. i just dont see what i want any where. i would travel to the other side of the world if i could find the right artist. im only beggining to see whats out there. when i have it done it will be a world class piece. not just 3 sittings and done

thankyou all for your help so far. i was very moved by what people said i thought i would of got laughed at. but i can see your all pro's on here thats what ive been trying to find. great to be on the right road.

Welcome bud. You will find a receptive and helpful bunch here, especially when people such as yourself show a willingness to listen and learn.

Stick around, soak in some ideas, and travel around to check out shops to see things in person.

As far as the world class Idea goes, there have just recently been some great discussions on how subjective that can be.

Cheers!

yes koi like this but not with the man holding the fish a think a nice woman would be better

irezumi+kintaro+horimatsu+%281+of+4%29.jpg

Cool! Just FYI, there is a specific story involved w/ the back piece subject posted. A lot of the japanese subjects have stories involved so tweaking it to a woman would not work in this particular case. There is a story regarding "Tamatorihime", often depicted with a dragon so if you want a japanese style tattoo w/ a woman + ocean + creature, type of subject that could work. I don't know of any particular story involving a woman struggling w/ a koi. There is a Hokusai image of the Buddhist diety, Kannon, standing on a giant koi though.

Otherwise a large koi all by itself could work just fine as that's just a generic subject not particular to any story.

Of course you could also disregard the stories and get whatever you want. I just mention the above just in case you may or may not have been aware.

Some well respected artists in London have recommended Joe at Cult Classic Tattoo for laser removal. Might be worth giving him a call.

Joe (Laser Tattoo Removal) – CULT CLASSIC TATTOO

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151053090173889.438073.122019483888&type=3

i have no personal experience. just passing along the info i read elsewhere.

thanks pidjones and others im going to the jam sat so i should get a good idea by the time ive got out of there. its hard to pick a tattoo to have after you have been toajam like this as it blows everything you think out of youmind and you sometimes end up thinking of all manner of things lol its a shame iwownt see any of you there at doncaster, even if i did see you we wouldnt know each other unless i wear something that sticks out lo. well ive not had much sleep again on the internet looking through artist work all night and i was woke up with my girlfriend saying happy birthday omg 48 never thought i would reach that age. thanks for the great welcome on here. when should i post on other threads now ive been a member for ages :Dcant wait to havea beer and watch artist work.

just a thought but if you are willing to travel. check out Marius Meyer in Oslo, Norway.

He did this koi back piece on another member here.

i feel like his tattoos are bold and black enough to cover anything.

yes i like it but for me i would like a smaller koi and a bit of background a bit of a story to it if you no what im on about thanks for the picture though. like it ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Good decision so far, just remember that it would be best to let something be designed for you, instead of picking a koi off of Google and saying "Do that one." Especially since this is a coverup. The important thing is to trust the artist, they are the experts.

your so right with that cork this is what im trying to get to it may take some time to get there but ill keep you lot in the loop.going to the jam in the morning. i also wish to know about the best healing process for it being on my back it cant be wrapped like an arm as such so its another point ill be asking about tomorrow. ill be taking camera. im 48 and im like a kid waiting for santa. couldnt sleep last night thinking of where to start and how to remember all the stuff artists tell me. ive had an email from Blink laser people. im well pleased upto know as the lady said its good news already as my tattoo is 30 years old and the ink would of been differant in those days so it should fade wellwith one pass over it fingers crossed if i need it at all. ill be seeing a few artists first to see what they say first before i let the moths out of my wallet lol well great to see people helping me i sort of lost hope in people over the years and you lot have really helped. i just wish i could of gone to the jam with some one as it will look like im billy no mates tomorrow. thanks for all the feed back. phil :)