Planning the next one, possibly switching artists?

OnyxRose

So I know I said if there's a next one, but there's totally going to be a next one. First one's only five days old and I'm already researching the second. (Somebody please tell me that's not abnormal.)

I'd planned on second one being something with my kids' birthflowers, but I just don't like those flowers, especially not together. Sentimental, sure, but not for me. This morning I was fabric shopping for Halloween costumes and I saw a pretty piece of lace, and inspiration struck. I'm thinking about something loosely based on lace patterns like the first few of these. I haven't decided placement, size, or color for sure yet, though I am leaning toward a below-the-elbow armband in black, probably not more than two inches wide. I apparently like my tattoos like I like my jewelry - relatively understated.

Anyhow. With my first tattoo I wanted complete control of the design, because the symbolism of it is important to me. (Yes, I'm one of "those" who chose a meaningful piece first. I know that isn't always popular around these parts.) As a creative artist myself, I felt confident with that decision, I got exactly what I wanted and I'm very happy with it. But the next one I intend to give the artist more creative license with the design itself and this is where I'm wondering about switching. The guy who did this one is great, his portfolio is good, but it doesn't have anything like what I'm after for the next one. There's one other artist in that shop who has some lace-type things in her portfolio. The new neighbor who just moved in behind me owns a tattoo studio that's been in town close to 25 years (I learned about him on Sunday when I went outside to stop my dog barking at him and he immediately asked about my elephant). There's also another one not five minutes away who has tattooed a number of friends. She did my piercings, but her style wasn't what I was after for my first tattoo. I'll have to look at the portfolios of the latter two, because I don't know for sure that they have what I'm looking for either. I'm also open to driving to some cities near where I live, if anyone knows of other artists whose style might work for what I'm after. I don't want to name my exact city, but I'm in the Gulf Coast area of Florida and am willing to drive as far as Orlando.

Is it considered rude to switch tattooers like that for different tattoos? I mean no offense to the first, I just don't know if his style will work for this next idea.

There's nothing wrong with going to different artists for different tattoos. That's how most of us here get tattooed.

With that said, I'd suggest reading this thread before committing to a lace tattoo. I think there are ways in which you could take the inspiration from lace and make a nice tattoo out of it, but looking at that link you provided, a lot of those tattoos are going to be a total mess in a few years.

Thanks for the link.

Those were really just meant more for inspiration than a "copy this onto my arm" kind of thing. I was confident in my first design working as a tattoo after doing a lot of research on it, but I'm less condifent in my ability to create a lace-type pattern that works as a tattoo. Someone with more experience in that particular field could do a far better job with the design and make something that will look good for life.

Let's be honest here, nobody "kills" lace tattoos because, like every other Pinterest/google image search trend, they aren't tattoos. Not saying that somebody couldn't do a nice ornamental tattoo using lace as an inspiration, but the stuff that's on the link above isn't what we would consider here to be good tattooing.

I've let the idea of a lace tattoo go. After speaking to the neighbor and doing more research online, it appeared that the only way to make a lace tattoo in the sort of design I wanted work long-term, would be to make it much, much bigger than I want. No offense intended to people who have bigger pieces, I think it's a great art form if that's what you're into, but I don't want that for myself.

I figure I can always do small, intricate, lacy stuff in henna, because that's only meant to last a couple weeks anyway, and have moved on to other ideas for the next one. I will still have the artist draw it up, but for the idea I have I'm comfortable going back to my original artist for that.

There's also a script tattoo I'd like to get, after I figure out where to put it that isn't too limited, because it may require adding to later on.

• 1 month later...

I say switch artists if you need to! My personal opinion is that all artists have a specialty (a style they are better in than others). If you need something realistic, some tattoo artists may say that's their strong or weak point. Everybody is different, so find the artist that suits you and the work you want done! I wouldn't feel bad! I think artists understand they have strengths and weaknesses!

Gulf coast of Florida huh?

Some tattooers that should definitely be on your radar:

Jason Minauro at Monique's Body Art in Clearwater

Chelsea Rae at Amulet in Tampa

A tattoo by either of these two would be one to cherish forever. Not sure how they do in the lace game though.

Just gone 6am here, managed few hours broken sleep. Getting tattooed today!! Angel wings behind Angel Tyrael on left leg. Am sleepy, but might stay awake for this one, will see how it goes. Having a great time in Belfast so far, as usual. Today will be icing on the cake :) Reply may be in wrong thread, sorry for that. But am caffeine free at the moment.

• 1 month later...
Is it considered rude to switch tattooers like that for different tattoos? I mean no offense to the first, I just don't know if his style will work for this next idea.

This is something I've given a lot of thought to as well. I love the idea of having one artist who is *my* artist and who does all my work, but I have yet to find an artist who's equally good at everything. I'm planning of getting my next tattoo done by a guy whose color work is gorgeous and who's a great artist in general, and I think he could do a great job on most of the work I want to get done. But let's say I wanted to get a photorealistic lady portrait tattooed on me. Those are really tough to get just right; while this particular tattoist is a fantastic artist, I don't love all of his portrait work, and I'd be uneasy with the idea of having him put one on me. On the other hand, I know an artist who bangs out portraits perfectly - he's like a machine - but I asked him if he could do a colorful semi-realistic owl, and he told me he'd only do it if he could make it a black and white photorealistic portrait. So it seems to me that sometimes you just have to work with artists' specialties and go with an artist you know will be able to do a great job with that particular tattoo.

I'm going to semi-piggyback on this thread since I can't start new threads yet...

I'm still in the research phase of my next tattoo - it's been 10 years since my last one and I'm in a different part of the country now. I'm looking for an artist that does what I'm looking for (my Intro thread is below), and have gotten some advice as to shops to check out, but narrowing it to an individual artist seems trickier. I'm guessing that an artist with a Neo-traditional specialty is going to be my starting point, but my question is this... if I go into a shop and talk to person X - will they guide me to a different artist in the shop if there's someone else who may be better suited to what I'm looking for? Or will they usually just do it themselves by default?

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/initiation/6262-new-member-introduction-looking-advice.html