How do u like your Battle Royale ?

kylegrey

Seeing those awesome Bert Grimm pictures in recent posts reminds me of this traditional design which is originally credited to an unknown artist ca.1900.

The combatants are said to be locked in "mortal combat "

How do u like yours done?Do you favour the more chinese ,crazy looking traditional dragon a la Jerry Collins.Or are you partial to a more Japanese version ?

Even the animals are subject to change -who do you like to see in the mix ?

Haha...I have a mini Battle Royale done by Rassier. It's a panther-headed eagle versus a Hot Stuff-headed snake:

hogg-albums-some-my-tattoos-picture1060-jeff-rassier-black-heart-sf.jpg

Well shit. I was right- that IS awesome. Hahaha thanks for posting that. I love the feathering on the neck of the panther. Cool transition from eagle to panther

That Stell tattoo's great. I dragged my bud out to Aloha Monkey in Burnsville, MN a couple years ago for something similar when Stell was here. I really like the one above, though even better. Awesome placement. I've seen that Rassier tattoo on Hogg''s flickr. That's Rassier's forte, and no one does it better. Regarding the panther head: I lasered the head of my stomach eagle a few times, as the composition of it and the surroudning legs makes no sense. I'm planning to have Bert Krak put a panther head on it. Above tattoo (and comment that further drew my attention to it) reassure me that I'm not as skewed as the eagle looks in trying to pull it off. The rest of the eagle's solid . . .

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

just got a mini-battle royale from stell a little over a week ago. snake and a jaguar.

i like to go to tattoo artists i don't have to explain much to, so i can give a vague description and trust i'll get an awesome interpretation.

i was thinking the snake would be in the jaguar's mouth of course but i didn't say that.

shortly after stell starts drawing something up he says "so you were thinking the snake would be in the cats mouth right?"

i said "yeah that's what i was thinking but you can do it differently if you have a different idea."

stell says, "well, i think that's the best idea...otherwise it just looks like they're hanging out together."

i really like the dragon/eagle/snake designs...but i sure as hell wasn't doing all that in one sitting.

• 3 weeks later...