Cider Snobs...

marley mission

help sort me out with some cider 101...

i know my way around the beer world

high alc IPA fan here

but cider - eh - i know zip

cept that i had a few angry orhards recently (as in drinking one right now)

and they are delish

so school me on the world o cider

i.e. - diff tastes, styles, alc% etc

thanks in advance

True to a point @BrianH. Most cider is targeted towards the trend drinkers today, but cider has been around for as long as beer has, and there's some real good ones out there that are more like a "brew".

The Monteiths is a N Zed cider and fits this description. Not too sweet, not too dry but with that real brew palate happening. They also do apricot & pear blends, and a Summer Berry. What makes these trendy alternatives different to most exotic tasting ciders is that Monteiths actually use Berry & Apricot wine for the flavouring, not preservatives for the flavour.

The Kiwis really do their shit well.

Then you have like your Westons Old Rosie's cider. It's flat with floaties. Packs a punch with a high % and is bitter on the taste. That's an acquired drink. Definitely not for the easy drinker.

"Booze, Blues & Tattoos"

thanks for the heads up on some brands

gotta head over to my local liquor store that has superb selection of all things alcohol

usually they carry several hundred diff beers of the world etc of which you can buy individually

havent given their cider a good luck but will be soon

threw back the rest of what i had in the fridge at the golf course this morning

If you're in Brooklyn, you're OK with getting trashed and you don't mind pricey bars with precious names (though maybe this is normal for NY, I have no idea), go here and sample some of the ciders: Beers

I had a wild-fermented one that reminded me a whole lot of a gueuze, and a really dry one that was just this side of drinkable. Refreshing after a tattoo, though. I don't know anything about ciders either, but these tasted good to me. Really puckery, totally the opposite of sweet-cold-and-watery.

Then you have like your Westons Old Rosie's cider. It's flat with floaties. Packs a punch with a high % and is bitter on the taste. That's an acquired drink. Definitely not for the easy drinker.

Aye, scrumpy. I'll vouch from experience for that stuff being able to fuck you right up. I wish I could get that here, but it's probably just as well that I can't.

I'm with you @Breakme. It takes a particular appreciation, but once you acquire that moorish palate, there's no looking back...most of the time. Last night was Bulmers Original hanging out at the local Pizzeria but. @Graeme...faaarkin oath! Scrumpy! We use to buy that shit by the flagon when we was teenagers. A fight in every flagon.

"Booze, Blues & Tattoos"

Bulmers is the famous international owned cider producer here in Ireland.

It's crap compared to some of the new small indie cider makers like Stonewell, McIvors and Llewellyns.... But the little guys have much bigger costs, even more than craft beer Brewers I hear, so they're pricey in comparison.

Oddly in the UK Bulmers is not Bulmers.. It's Magners. And what is sold as Bulmers is a different thing altogether... Confusing to us.

My favourite cider is probably from the UK: Aspalls. They do a draught, organic and a grand cru. Runner up is Old Rosie cloudy.

There was a really nice French pear cider that I had out not that long ago, but I can't remember the name of it! Oops.

It may be Verano you're talking about @Fala. If so, that shit is the bomb! Not just the pear, but all their blends are nice as fuck.

[edit] My mistake. Verano is a Spanish cider.

post-31786-146168873323_thumb.jpg

"Booze, Blues & Tattoos"

Just posted this elsewhere, but it belongs here:

I just tried Smith and Forge yesterday. Decent - more body than most I've had lately, with a strong apple taste and nearly no carbonation. Some are so over carbonated. This stuff is clearly marketed to men. It's made by Miller Coors, 6%. Anyway, I'm certainly not throwing the rest out of the fridge, but I've got many more to sample.

Smith-forge-hard-cider-Copy.png