Getting sick as an after-effect?

OnyxRose

I was talking with my tattoo-shop-owner neighbor this morning, and he mentioned that the tattoo looks like it's healing up well. I told him I was glad for that, since I was gotten sick a couple days after getting it and was concerned that it wouldn't heal nicely. I'm pretty sure I had a bug my child brought home from school (it was mostly sinus, but also tonsillitis with a cough; Son didn't have it, but his teacher had the same thing right before I did), but Neighbor said he gets sinus issues almost every time he gets work done.

It made me curious. Is this something other people experience regularly, or something anyone else has heard of? No one else I know personally who has tattoos has ever mentioned getting sick afterward, so maybe it just isn't a common reaction?

I guess I'll find out next time if this was just a bug I caught or if it's part of my healing process. Sure hope it isn't, because I don't want to be stuck in bed for two days and sick for a week and a half every time I get a new tattoo.

(Also, I wasn't sure if this was the right forum to post this in. If not, do I move it or do mods move it?)

I've been told there can be a connection, just because after the trauma of getting a tattoo and while healing, your immune system might not be working at its best. As it was explained to me, this could make you more susceptible to sickness or it could affect you worse because your immune system has too much on its plate. No idea if this is actually true or not, just what I've been told.

I did catch a bug that was going around, right after a tattoo session one time. Everyone else got a decent cold, I got a fever of 101. Could just be a coincidence though

I use to get reaaallly crabby for a couple of days after a new tattoo and that would sometimes make my husband sick :p

Seriously though, I have never gotten sick after a tattoo but I could see how it could leave your immune system in an overstimulated or distracted state increasing susceptibility to the foreign invaders around you. For this reason, I have started scheduling shorter sessions. I find I don't get crabby or feel as exhausted/susceptible to getting sick. It also allows me to keep working out to some degree or another which I think is fantastic in helping tattoos to heal quickly.

Side note...I think sleep quality is part of it too. I rarely sleep well the first couple of nights with a new tattoo. So on top of maybe the flesh trauma and neural load, your body's #1 recovery system can also be compromised.

Just my thoughts @OnyxRose...and now that you suspect this may be how your body reacts you can move forward and implement some things to support your immune system pre-, post- and during tattoo.

Best of luck!

@pidjones I've still got the tonsils (well, obviously, you can't get tonsillitis without 'em) but they aren't a chronic problem. This is only my fifth tonsillitis issue in my whole life. My problem was always ears as a kid. I had ear infections left and right, but my tonsils very seldom give me any trouble!

- - - Updated - - -

@KBeee I'm pretty sure it was an actual bug; it's been weeks and I'm still dealing with some sinus-related stuff that never went away, but the worst of it was gone within a week. But I won't know for sure till next time if it's how I react or if it was just bad timing. I tend to catch one or two of the bugs my kids bring home every year, but I was perfectly healthy the day of the appointment, no hint of any sick at all. Can't hurt to add immune system support for next time, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tattoos are hard on your immune system. Your body uses a ton of resources during and after the tattoo leaving you more suseptible to infection. There are many stories of tribal people dying from extensive tattooing. Best advice I can give is to load up on Vitamin C the day of and for a few days after your tattoo and drink something high in sugar during the tattoo. Ever wonder why you get the shakes during a lengthy tattoo session? The release of catecholamines like dopamine and epinephrine and sometimes hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar). Drinking a soda during the tattoo session has helped me with the shakes immensely. Hope this helps in the future.

It's a thing. Your body is like "what What WHAT?!" and sick sometimes happens. I get a cold or something like it. Sometimes a migraine. My last tattoo session was painful for so many different reasons, and a mosquito ate my face the night before. Got sick after, of course.

Treat yourself kindly and take it easy!

... drink something high in sugar during the tattoo. Ever wonder why you get the shakes during a lengthy tattoo session? The release of catecholamines like dopamine and epinephrine and sometimes hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar). Drinking a soda during the tattoo session has helped me with the shakes immensely. Hope this helps in the future.
I bring an Ensure Acive Protein shake.

If it's a small tattoo I'll save it just in case I get woozy. If it's a bigger Tattoo I'll drink it during the break.

Before I figured all this out, I got the shakes and shivers really bad. Now I wear fleece, but the cure for all tattoo ills is .....

BROWNIES!

Before, during, during, during, after.

A little protein, some fat and lots of sugar. The perfect endurance food.

My batch for tomorrow is in the oven now :)

Before I figured all this out, I got the shakes and shivers really bad. Now I wear fleece, but the cure for all tattoo ills is .....

BROWNIES!

oooooh snap. Brownies!!!!!!! Kudos!

BROWNIES!

OMG best idea ever.