post-chemotherapy tattoo questions

jacoboxsi

I have a quick question and couldn't find anything about this on LST but I had a friend of a friend come to me about post-chemotherapy tattoos. He went through chemo about 3 years ago and now suffers from multiple immune deficiencies but wants to get some work done. Now, I have experience tattooing diabetics and the whole healing process, dealing with recent A1C % levels needing to be on point pre and post-tattoo but this is a whole new ball game. My only idea at the moment is to try a small tattoo, maybe something on the wrist or foot but even that seems a little sketch because who knows how the body will react? If any other artists or tattooed folk out there have experience with clients that have immune system complications or post-chemo experiences with tattooing, please chime in.

Help is definitely appreciated.

-Jacobo

Sure, though there's a world of difference between somebody who has received cancer treatments asking for advice in getting tattooed (answer: consult with your doctor and an experienced tattooer) and a tattooer asking about the specifics if tattooing somebody who has received cancer treatments.

And honestly, I don't like the OP and I think we've been far too kind to him. A ton of scratchers read these forums, some have created accounts, I'm sure that far, far more are lurking and glean whatever shreds of information they can get from here, and whatever, everything here is in public and that's the way it goes and why people should be conscious of what they put on here. Here we have a dude who comes on here and says that he supposedly had an apprenticeship where he didn't actually do any tattoos, and he currently puts on shitty tattoos out of his house, and we should treat him any differently than we do any other scratcher? And who, not for the first time here either, wants to talk technical stuff about tattooing. If you're going to come here and be disrespectful, you can't expect respect in return.

So I revise my original answer: this friend of a friend should go to a reputable tattooer because they've been through enough as it is and don't need a shitty tattoo on top of it all.

^ was just going to mention this.

this is a medical tattoo consisting of a couple of dot-marks.

Versus tattoo-work that could cover a bigger surface area of skin.

I joked with my Mom about hers, suggesting she get a panther coverup after the treatment.

She rolled her eyes and said the tattoo hurt! And couldn't understand why/how I could have gone through so much. <3

Really, talk to a doctor to understand the implications on the immune system and complications that a tattoo (i.e. putting stress on a compromised immune system) may create.

I joked with my Mom about hers, suggesting she get a panther coverup after the treatment.

She rolled her eyes and said the tattoo hurt! And couldn't understand why/how I could have gone through so much. <3

Not gonna touch on the OP or the thread, but I just wanted to say: cancer-treatment radiation targeting tattoos get MY vote for toughest tattoos, full stop.

A bit tongue in cheek, this, but:

tattoo.png

Yeah, I'd ask if I can have a tattoo artist do it before letting a radiation oncologist come at me with a tattoo machine! Same goes for sticking with IVs. Have a nurse, NOT a doctor do it, and never a nurse that you know! Someone you know will be extra-careful and never hit the vein.

BTW, I've worked on some of those flesh-searing (actually not relativistic) particle cannons. Fantastic therapy for the indicated lesions.

• 2 weeks later...