Tipping/gift etiquette?

JoshRoss

Hey guys,

I tried the search function, but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Could someone please enlighten me on proper tipping etiquette for Japanese tattooers? From what I understand, tipping isn't customary in Japan. I've also been told you should bring a gift before your session. I'll be getting tattooed in the States at a convention, should I just stick to tipping or bring a gift? My normal thing for gift-giving is usually some kind of alcohol, and I'm not even sure I can bring that into the convention.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

@JoshRoss, interesting question. I'm kind of curious too. I know tipping talk is sometimes frowned upon here, but this is more of a cultural question. I personally hadn't realized tipping was not customary in Japan until I was flipping through a travel guide recently, and according to that, depending on the individual, could be considered insulting. I don't know how much of that should be believed though. It does sometimes make me wonder if I had unintentionally offended Horitomo when I got my feet tattooed.

I suppose a gift can't hurt, but I'd also be interested to hear from people who've actually been tattooed in the situation you speak of since one day, I plan to get tattooed at this Convention. Also them being in the US rather than you being in Japan, they may have a go with the flow attitude. When in Rome after all.

Did you get an appointment with Horimitsu? What day?

For my session with Horimitsu, I gave him a small bottle of single malt scotch (emphasis on small so that he could stow it easily in his check-in bag) and I also tipped him after the session. While being respectful, I say just go with your gut.

I generally prefer giving gifts over tipping. Has more personal meaning. However in other instances, cash is always king.

For my session with Horimitsu, I gave him a small bottle of single malt scotch (emphasis on small so that he could stow it easily in his check-in bag) and I also tipped him after the session. While being respectful, I say just go with your gut.

I generally prefer giving gifts over tipping. Has more personal meaning. However in other instances, cash is always king.

Scotch is always best. Thanks, dude!

@Lance,

I did get in with Horimitsu for Saturday. It's at 8 PM, so I'll probably stroll in pretty late.

@JoshRoss I personally hadn't realized tipping was not customary in Japan until I was flipping through a travel guide recently, and according to that, depending on the individual, could be considered insulting. I don't know how much of that should be believed though. It does sometimes make me wonder if I had unintentionally offended Horitomo when I got my feet tattooed.

Background: I lived in Japan for a while some time ago, and I was previously married to a Japanese woman,

but I have no experience of Japanese tattoo culture.

Tipping is definitely not done in restaurants, taxis etc. However, Japan is definitely a gift oriented society.

My guess would be that a monetary tip would be frowned upon, but a gift would be appreciated.

If you go to a Japanese department store you will see many pre-packaged gift ideas, and I expect a small bottle

of quality alcohol would be appreciated.

Apologies for partially hijacking here, but what about tattoo artists in the U.S.? I haven't had ink in over 20 years until the last month - and honestly never thought about a tipping policy. Wasn't sure if it was more like a doctor/dentist or a hair stylist... Fortunately I found out, and tipped. I also want to send a gift - was considering something like a gift certificate at some tattoo supplies website (recommendations?) Also, what is the appropriate tip amount? 20% like a waitress? More/less? I'm sure to the artists and experienced people these sound like silly questions, but from an inexperienced client point of view - we really do not know. I do know that I want my artist to know I am happy with my work and I want him to have a positive opinion of me so he is open to doing more work on me.

Okay, so what do you do when you realize several days after that you didn't tip *enough*? My tattoo cost a little more than I had in cash on me, so I paid the much-smaller balance via Paypal. I clicked the "add tip" button on the Paypal screen, but I was so busy talking with the artist that I didn't realize that I had clicked the automatic 20% tip button on just the card payment, which turned out to only be something like 3% of the total amount. Oops.

I won't be going in for another tattoo for another year at least (got some other things need doing around the house first) and this one doesn't need any immediate touchup work. Should I just go back in next payday with the rest of the tip amount and explain what happened?

Okay, so what do you do when you realize several days after that you didn't tip *enough*? My tattoo cost a little more than I had in cash on me, so I paid the much-smaller balance via Paypal. I clicked the "add tip" button on the Paypal screen, but I was so busy talking with the artist that I didn't realize that I had clicked the automatic 20% tip button on just the card payment, which turned out to only be something like 3% of the total amount. Oops.

I won't be going in for another tattoo for another year at least (got some other things need doing around the house first) and this one doesn't need any immediate touchup work. Should I just go back in next payday with the rest of the tip amount and explain what happened?

That would seem reasonable to me. Mistakes happen, people usually understand.

• 3 months later...

Reviving this thread to tell a bit of a story. I live in Australia where no one really tips anywhere for anything (got a lot to do with our minimun wages being higher than some other countries as far as I know); however, I believe that tipping an artist is perfectly reasonable if you want to support their wkrk and craft. Anyway, I went into a shop a few months ago for an appointment, where they keep a decorative sign on the front desk of a pinup model with the words 'tipping is classy', but when the artist finished and told ne the price, I tried to give him the amount I had brought with me, which ended up being $20 - $30 difference because I was happy with the work, and the artist (politely) refused. Is he aware of the irony?

• 7 months later...

@The Tig

The culture of this board frowns upon disclosing dollar amounts so you might consider editing your post to be more general.

That said, I think it's strange that your deposit wasn't counted towards the total. If your "deposit" is actually a "booking/drawing fee" it should be identified as such IMO (in any business transaction).

• 1 month later...

I am scheduled for my first piece in a couple weeks and have made the deposit and been estimated 5+ hours and the artist is $200/hr. Plan to take some sort of small gift from here in Alaska and then probably will tip 15% or so. Just hop that I can sit that long, will be on my right calf so thinking it will be OK.