How to heal Elbow tattoo

Guero

I couldn't find a thread directly related to this topic, so I am asking, what are your thoughts/experiences with healing an elbow tattoo. I got mine done last night. My other elbow is done also, and healed decent, however it is a large piece so the focus isn't on the elbow, per-say. My new tattoo, however, is a rose right on the elbow, and draws a lot of attention so I think I am a little more self-conscious about healing it well. My artist is under the impression that dry is best, even for the elbow. What do you guys think? I will definitely take his advice, since he made the tattoo. Also, I am worried since he used red; in my experience, red heals a little "splotchy" on me. But any experience would be helpful. Thanks!

10603781_10153301159994676_8959647806346890155_n.jpg?oh=83f29ca7f6fe6534afd00f286aa95d49&oe=54EEC1F6

don't lean on your elbow!

if you are going to dry heal, just be aware of your elbow throughout the day. if your elbow gets super dry and you are moving your arm a lot it is going to crack. Crack will scab. Scab might pull some colour out. your arm looks like you've healed a bunch of other tattoos just fine...so what are you worried about? don't overthink it, that tattoo ink isn't going anywhere ;p

nice tattoos btw

For what it's worth, I rewrapped and dry healed my elbow and it healed up really well. On my other elbow I only have one tattoo that goes into the elbow area but not on the elbow directly (it's about an inch away from the elbow so is still on a boney, moving part) and I also dry healed that one with no rewrapping and it healed up really well also. I usually heal really dry anyway though. I've started using some moisturizer while healing now that I'm working on my back because dry healing is way too uncomfortable on that large an area, but even then I'm moisturizing once a day after my shower when it gets to that really tight part of healing. It looks like whatever you're doing for aftercare is working for you so I wouldn't mess with that too much. Worst case, you get it touched up.

just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't consider a dry heal on the elbow. I healed this with no problems and no scabbing. I washed it a couple of times a day and put A&D or Coco Butter on it 3 times a day, just enough to keep it from drying out.

]

That looks awesome! I had it done Monday evening, left it dry other than the shower yesterday, and today I have washed it once and put a little bit of lotion on. I'll see how it feels in the evening and might wash it again or just use a dab of lotion. So did that thing just peel? Hope mine is a peeler!

That looks awesome! I had it done Monday evening, left it dry other than the shower yesterday, and today I have washed it once and put a little bit of lotion on. I'll see how it feels in the evening and might wash it again or just use a dab of lotion. So did that thing just peel? Hope mine is a peeler!

Thanks! It peeled, but it wasn't too bad. I have to admit that I've been extraordinarily lucky when it comes to healing.

• 2 months later...