so whats the secret to foie gras butter? i am a huge morimoto fan! haven't tried any of jose garces stuff but have cooked some of his recipes...

gosh a freezer full of foie gras would be so dangerous here although my parents just returned from paris with foie gras pate and truffle sauce....

It's sadly not that interesting; raw foie mixed gently into butter until it's an even consistency. I expected more, though I tried some on toast and it was fantastic. That was one of those irresponsible food days where I went and bought heavy cream to make my own butter, mixed in the foie once the butter was ready and ate it on toast while watching cartoons. Talk about a balanced diet.

It's sadly not that interesting; raw foie mixed gently into butter until it's an even consistency. I expected more, though I tried some on toast and it was fantastic. That was one of those irresponsible food days where I went and bought heavy cream to make my own butter, mixed in the foie once the butter was ready and ate it on toast while watching cartoons. Talk about a balanced diet.

duh, always the simplest way i guess...i would have never thought to eat raw fois gras.

i order mine from here: http://www.artisanfoiegras.com/about/

i used to make my own butter when i was a kid. i REALLY wanted to be Laura Ingalls from little house on the prarie and made my own butter with cream and a jar (just shook vigorously for a long time).

i love making butter on special occasions like when i make scones for brunch (hint hint dari and gia....maybe our next brunch ;). it really just tastes so much better.

i just did a pictorial on how to make ricotta if anyone is interested.

i hope to do one on mozarella soon in time for tomato season here in northern cali....

duh, always the simplest way i guess...i would have never thought to eat raw fois gras.

i order mine from here: About Sonoma - Artisan Foie Gras

i used to make my own butter when i was a kid. i REALLY wanted to be Laura Ingalls from little house on the prarie and made my own butter with cream and a jar (just shook vigorously for a long time).

i love making butter on special occasions like when i make scones for brunch (hint hint dari and gia....maybe our next brunch ;). it really just tastes so much better.

i just did a pictorial on how to make ricotta if anyone is interested.

i hope to do one on mozarella soon in time for tomato season here in northern cali....

I'll have to link your food blog from mine!

I accidentally made ricotta a few weeks ago while making mozzarella.

I use citric acid powder instead of lemon though- do you feel that the lemon juice flavors it at all?

And I should totally take this conversation to food & drink and not restaurants.

To attempt to keep myself on topic-

There's a great sushi place in NYC near my sister's condo that does a raw calf's liver sashimi. Super thin slices and served with a garlic oil dipping sauce. I'll have to ask her the name of the place.

• 4 weeks later...

To attempt to keep myself on topic-

There's a great sushi place in NYC near my sister's condo that does a raw calf's liver sashimi. Super thin slices and served with a garlic oil dipping sauce. I'll have to ask her the name of the place.

I will fly out there to try something like that.

I'll have to link your food blog from mine!

I accidentally made ricotta a few weeks ago while making mozzarella.

I use citric acid powder instead of lemon though- do you feel that the lemon juice flavors it at all?

And I should totally take this conversation to food & drink and not restaurants.

we should totally start a post your blog section...we are in the middle of combining 3 of our blogs so i will post soon...

i am not sure if there is a huge taste difference. to me fresh lemon juice always seems to freshen flavors...just like a little bit of salt brings out difference flavors. we have a lemon tree that is loaded so we tend to use lemons alot in our cooking...

going to roast some artichoke hearts that i got from farmers market in some lemon juice, garlic, chili flakes, thyme right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone was circulating a link on my facebook thread for a Chinese place in philly- It's called HAN DYNASTY, so the URL is handynasty.net

Handy. Nasty.

It was a funny little joke until I read the menu. Everything looked amazing. Claire (my girlfriend) and I headed there last night and it was well worth the goofy web address. Best non-delivery Chinese I've had in years.

• 1 month later...

If you're looking for a fun outdoor spot w/good food, I highly recommend Bocce Bar in Sausalito. It is a pizzeria right on the water with 2 bocce ball courts. If that wasn't enough, the exec chef is the same exec chef of Buckeye Roadhouse and Bungalow 44. Delicious sourdough pizzas, yummy meatball sliders, a kobe beef lasagna and delicious salads. I have some pics of the restaurant here Bar Bocce | Miss Babbles If you're lucky, you might get to see a lady get hit in the head with a bocce ball like my friend did. Some guys have all the luck.

Someone was circulating a link on my facebook thread for a Chinese place in philly- It's called HAN DYNASTY, so the URL is handynasty.net

Handy. Nasty.

It was a funny little joke until I read the menu. Everything looked amazing. Claire (my girlfriend) and I headed there last night and it was well worth the goofy web address. Best non-delivery Chinese I've had in years.

there's a few places here with funny names like that. one i used to go to in Berkeley is called King Dong (and yes, my friends and i went there because of the name), and i used to live down the street in Oakland from Big Daddy's (it might be closed now, never ventured into it). i currently love Shan Dong, though they use MSG. they have awesome dumplings and house-made noodles that are vegan.

there's a few places here with funny names like that. one i used to go to in Berkeley is called King Dong (and yes, my friends and i went there because of the name), and i used to live down the street in Oakland from Big Daddy's (it might be closed now, never ventured into it). i currently love Shan Dong, though they use MSG. they have awesome dumplings and house-made noodles that are vegan.

The Donger is one of the best Chinese food deliveries in the east bay for sure. Their vegetarian items are top shelf and I'm not even vegetarian with my favorite one being the kung pao fake chicken. Then the fried wontons with cream cheese and crab could be currency! plus all their meat items, mmm!

You used to be able to ask for a calendar when you ordered and they'd bring you a free scroll like one with badass tigers and dragons on them.

The Donger is one of the best Chinese food deliveries in the east bay for sure. Their vegetarian items are top shelf and I'm not even vegetarian with my favorite one being the kung pao fake chicken.

i didn't even realize that they had a vegetarian menu! (it's been 5 years since i last went) i'll have to check it out, but i'm always worried that the fake chicken might have egg whites in it and i hate asking questions when dining out (which is why i usually only go to vegetarian establishments these days!).

New Orleans.............. good food, it's all over.

One of my new faves is Cochon on Tchoupitoulas st. in the warehouse district. The pork cheeks are my favorite on the menu. They cure there own meats and have a sandwich/ butcher shop behind the main resturaunt. So many of there meats are the best i've ever had, the hogshead chese, hot dogs, boudin, andouille, balogna. sooooo goooood !!!

One of my new faves is Cochon on Tchoupitoulas st. in the warehouse district. The pork cheeks are my favorite on the menu. They cure there own meats and have a sandwich/ butcher shop behind the main resturaunt. So many of there meats are the best i've ever had, the hogshead chese, hot dogs, boudin, andouille, balogna. sooooo goooood !!!

Cochon is amazing!! didn't have time to eat @ the butcher shop but sure it is as good the restaurant....

• 1 month later...

For you Chicago locals...here are the reservations I have for my trip:

David Burke (which I saw on Nick C and Mario D's lists)

Paris Club

The Girl and The Goat

The Girl and the Goat seems to be the hot new restaurant that is impossible to get into to...have either of you guys been there and what are your thoughts?

Cochon was so bomb! Everything in New Orleans was. We also hit up John Besh's restaurant Domenica which was delish and Emeril's NOLA which was also very yummy. Service at both places was excellent. Love love love New Orleans and can't wait to do another food crawl there.

mentioning hawksmoor yet again. oh my lord, we went there last night with another couple of friends and we drank and we frickin' ate! my mate had an 800gr porterhouse steak and ate it all himself, i couldnt believe it. the heavy dinner certainly made itself present at the time to retire to bed. i've barely slept a wink and can't bear to stay in bed any longer, my guts are rebelling.

anyone in London needs to visit this place, check out their website, reviews and menu, WELL worth it for the connoisseur of fine steaks!

ps. we could spy a forum member there too, with his other half! good choice of restaurant

food is my passion, eating it anyway and In a college town like norman we have some good stuff.

tarahumaras-great tex mex fast service. when I first started going here the owner waited tables. Now he has purchased homes nearby to expand his parking lot. Its a no frills place with good drink(from what I hear) and great food. Its lined with big screen tvs with random sports and about every other tv is a live feed to the kitchen.

victorias- great pasta shop with homeade gravy and noodles.

cajun king- katrina outkasts started in NW okc and expanded to norman. Its a cajun buffet with all the trimmings and instead of bread coming to your table for refills its the best catfish I have ever had.

we also have good pho shops and IMO really good thai noodle shops.

I want to open a PHo shop for my Mother in law someday.

mentioning hawksmoor yet again. oh my lord, we went there last night with another couple of friends and we drank and we frickin' ate! my mate had an 800gr porterhouse steak and ate it all himself, i couldnt believe it. the heavy dinner certainly made itself present at the time to retire to bed. i've barely slept a wink and can't bear to stay in bed any longer, my guts are rebelling.

anyone in London needs to visit this place, check out their website, reviews and menu, WELL worth it for the connoisseur of fine steaks!

ps. we could spy a forum member there too, with his other half! good choice of restaurant

Busted. I tried the bone marrow, absolutely fantastic. I don't know about attempting an 800gr porterhouse though and I'm a fat bastard.

Not much to choose between Hawksmoor and Goodman. What tips the balance, for me, is the great atmos oh and the Hawksmoors own IPA.

Found my new favourite restaurant at the weekend, on a trip down the country for a couple of days.

O'Brien Chop House Restaurant Lismore, Waterford Restaurant

It kind of reminded me of the Hawksmoor restaurant in London that Valerie mentioned above ... They do all kinds of old-school butcher's cuts of meat... Hanger steak, marrow, all kinds offal and huge steaks on the bone. They also do whole trouts and hakes and whatnot, intended to be shared.

We got an 800g prime rib for two for dinner. They hand you the steak, and then they hand you a big bone-handled butchering knife to do the business on the thing. Deliciously rare ... I mean it was ridiculously buttery and tender. Served with hand-cut homemade chips (fries to you Americans) and little jugs of pepper sauce.

Drinks-wise we had a couple of bottles of '8 degrees howling gale pale ale', new from a microbrewery in Cork set up by a kiwi and an aussie.

Unfortunately can't see a way that many forumites are ever going to get the chance to try it unless they're not only in Ireland but on a trip way down to the south of the country (it's in County Waterford). The area it's in is a bit of a foodie mecca... Within driving distance are two of the best craft breweries in the country (Dungarvan Brewing and Metalman brewing) as well as the only michelin-starred restaurant outside of Dublin, based in the Cliff House Hotel in Ardmore.