Hello, just had my first tattoo and looking for advice.

Sykes101211

Hi everyone

Im from the UK, North West of England mum of an almost 3 year old and very new to the tattoo world, always loved and admired the art of tattoing and for me the clean simple designs were always the ones I would like to get myself so I took the plunge and have just had my first tattoo, it was a design I loved but I was getting really fed up with people constantly asking what it was (apparently "a tattoo" wasn't and acceptable answer) and so I made some changes to make it a bit more meaningful. These changes I designed myself and thought they looked great however in reality it's just made my simple design look a bit of a mess and I'm not entirely happy.

Now I know I made a few tattoo rookie errors 1. Copying a design I saw on the Internet and loved. 2. Actually caring what people thought (after all a tattoo should be for yourself) 3. Not really thinking through the initial design and making it meaningful in the first place. 3. Changing it with something I designed myself.

I didn't really have much input from my tattooist over what would work and what wouldn't so was just flying blind and didn't really know what to expect, I know my mistakes and I won't make them again (I will get another tattoo eventually) so now I really need some help from people who know what they are talking about on how to fix it, do I just go for removal or can anyone suggest anything that would do a half decent cover up?

Any help/advice/comments would be greatly appreciated...I am kinda freaking out a bit, It looks like I've been scribbled on! (Pictures attached)

Thank you!

I'm probably the least knowledgeable person on this forum, but I suspect the general suggestion will be to find a good tattoo artist and discuss with them in person about your options.

Personally, it looks like you should be working with a different artist. If you specify your nearest city/town I expect you'll get some good suggestions. e.g. I'm sure there must be a lot of good artists in Manchester or Liverpool...

PinkUnicorn I think your completly right, I do need to find someone who will work with my ideas and not just copy the pictures. We have a tattoo artist called aurora near where I live she has a brilliant reputation and about an 8 month waiting list!

Marley mission, so you don't think this will end up on the worst tattoo forum? It may grow on me as it heals I did only get the changes done yesterday! It has totally not put me off getting anymore They will just be better thought out!

I think "it's a tattoo" is a PERFECTLY acceptable answer.

This is not my style of tattoo, but it looks like you can expand on the design and add to it with more flourishes and elements. This might make you feel more satisfied with the total work

I give it 5 more posts before someone recommends a panther skull dagger blast over lol

PinkUnicorn I think your completly right, I do need to find someone who will work with my ideas and not just copy the pictures. We have a tattoo artist called aurora near where I live she has a brilliant reputation and about an 8 month waiting list!

Marley mission, so you don't think this will end up on the worst tattoo forum? It may grow on me as it heals I did only get the changes done yesterday! It has totally not put me off getting anymore They will just be better thought out!

i think its cool

you'll keep learning as you go

but it sounds like you didnt feel the artist was helpful in the process

so you may wanna keep looking

now you'll be more aware of what you need from them

Many people feel tattoo remorse. Yours looks much too good to be on a "worst tattoo" list, and I doubt better ones around it will make it look worse. If YOU like it, that's what counts. Check with artists, and don't fell that you are tied to the first one you consult with. And, you don't HAVE to get more (unless you want them). That is entirely up to you.

Personally i love the steampuk designs. I would design some clock gears. And add some little birds or bones .maybe a broken hour glass. Who ever worked on it left it open and the lines are thin , should be easy to cover.

- - - Updated - - -

How about a paisley key

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I like the ideas of stuff to get added to it, I don't think I had really considered that being freaked out about it but i must admit at the moment the thought of making it bigger doesn't thrill me.

I know I'm not happy with it it's been noted I'm constantly pulling my sleeve down to cover it, oh well it's freezing here anyway so I think I will probably just leave it be for now and get used to it being there then decide what to do.

Thanks again everyone you've been really helpful and I feel much better about it now than I did! X