Suggestion for skull/snake sleeve

KVipers

So I have an appointment booked for two weeks from now to have my 3/4 sleeve lined with my artist and I'm looking for some suggestions on the details. It is going to be a skull and snake as the focal point with some peonies or cherry blossoms and finger waves etc. What I'm curious about is the type of skull and also if there were any other cool headdress things that could be added to the skull such as a samurai helmet.

I have seen lots of hanya skulls and snakes (specifically O'Donnell's) but was wondering if anybody has ever seen a cool oni skull for example. I had trouble finding any good examples just using the Google machine.

Lastly, I'd like to dress the skull with something but am open to ideas for specifically what that would be. My first idea was a samurai helmet, but I'd like to see what other unique options are out there that I haven't thought of. Anybody have any cool ideas?

Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated

Go to the library! Google sucks for this stuff, but our nearby library has a pretty fantastic collection of art books including lots of Japanese print books, etc. It will be a much more productive use of your time than filtering through all the junk on the internet. I know we all forget that libraries exist these days, but it is the best place to look for reference.

Go to the library! Google sucks for this stuff, but our nearby library has a pretty fantastic collection of art books including lots of Japanese print books, etc. It will be a much more productive use of your time than filtering through all the junk on the internet. I know we all forget that libraries exist these days, but it is the best place to look for reference.

I have found myself in bookshops a lot lately, bought a few good bird books a rad tiger book and a few other good books for reference. Need to get back to the library.

I will chat with my artist as we nail down a design as well, but I wanted to ask here, too:

The more research I do on snake/skull pairings the more I am seeing them on flatter panels (ribs, thighs, backs). Do people do this so as to not distort the skull? Will a skull on an upper arm look funny because of the round shape of the arm? I am not a small person, but I'm not huge either..

What are people's experience with this?

i'm sure it will be fine as long as you have a good tattoo artist. Usually I go with a bunch of ideas but at the end of the day I mostly listen to the artist. Sometimes I want a bunch of stuff but I think for a skull and snake less is more. Maybe just the cherry blossoms or just peonies flower. Unless you're doing a full sleeve. Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to go with a hanya. I let the artist do what he wanted. My only input was having snake head come into my chest. He added a couple cool things like the skull ropes for the mask. This is after the first sit. Next sit will be some more details and lines and maybe background and then for some color. Have to decide on a color palette. I'm open to suggestions!

Ps sorry for the sideways pics. Doing this on mobile and will fix it when i get a chance.

• 10 months later...