Tattooer with bold japanese style

joakim urma

Ok, I'm really quite new to japanese tattoos, only started appriciating it two years ago. But I have a strange idea that I think would be cool do in a japanese style all though the image is not typically from that culture. I'm still toying around with this idea and would like to see what's out there just so I can pre-visualize a bit better.

Looking for tattooers with INTERESTING and STRONG + BOLD japanse styles. My idea is side of ribs-size and only black and gray. I like fat lines and generous amounts of black, limited use of gray color.

Right now I am really digging the work of Jarno Kantanen:

10661178_442019459272182_1259550126_n.jpg

But my vague ideal would be somewhere inbetween Walter McDonald and Koji Ichimaru if that makes any sense.

Teach me

Thanks for the suggestions @hogg! Unmon tattooed a friend of mine when he worked at Stockholm Classic a few weeks ago. While I like their stuff I think I am looking for something a bit less "simplistic" for lack of better word. More details and angular style, more dynamic. Also background is something I am considering this time, windbars and rocks. But thanks, didn't know about Jun Chihara, interesting to see!

Ok, I'm really quite new to japanese tattoos, only started appriciating it two years ago. But I have a strange idea that I think would be cool do in a japanese style all though the image is not typically from that culture. I'm still toying around with this idea and would like to see what's out there just so I can pre-visualize a bit better.

Looking for tattooers with INTERESTING and STRONG + BOLD japanse styles. My idea is side of ribs-size and only black and gray. I like fat lines and generous amounts of black, limited use of gray color.

Right now I am really digging the work of Jarno Kantanen:

10661178_442019459272182_1259550126_n.jpg

But my vague ideal would be somewhere inbetween Walter McDonald and Koji Ichimaru if that makes any sense.

Teach me

Hi dude, if that you like is bold traditional japanese style, for me, two of the best and who have tattooed big part of my body are Rico and Shion of the Daruma Goya private studio in japan. They travel a lot around Europe, great balance about bold angry black background and great lines, you cannot wrong with this choice. @ricodaruma on instagram and DARUMA GOYA TATTOO, Japan

Other great options are @horitsukikage1 or @horimomo , and if you like more "westernized" style, @stewart_modernclassic is amazing.

Sorry for my english.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

About to highjack the thread. My justification is last activity on this thread one week ago. I am a newb so I cannot start a new thread. I have used the search function without result. My question is along a similar line as the Op's question. That being said here goes. for my second significant tattoo I want a Japanese style. I live near Seattle and don't want to travel too far so I can do multiple short sessions. My first tattoo I traveled to SF (Analog). Did 5 1/2 hours day one and four day two. Rather not go that route again. I have found a portfolio of a guy in Vancouver BC called Horiryu I. Shop is called Strictly tattoo. They seem to have a lot of artist's who's portfolio's look to be along the lines of what I want. Any one out there have experience with Horiryu I or the shop? Would you recommend? Thanks for your feed back. Please don't hurt me too bad if this post is a egregious example of bad forum etiquette.

Hi all,

About to highjack the thread. My justification is last activity on this thread one week ago. I am a newb so I cannot start a new thread. I have used the search function without result. My question is along a similar line as the Op's question. That being said here goes. for my second significant tattoo I want a Japanese style. I live near Seattle and don't want to travel too far so I can do multiple short sessions. My first tattoo I traveled to SF (Analog). Did 5 1/2 hours day one and four day two. Rather not go that route again. I have found a portfolio of a guy in Vancouver BC called Horiryu I. Shop is called Strictly tattoo. They seem to have a lot of artist's who's portfolio's look to be along the lines of what I want. Any one out there have experience with Horiryu I or the shop? Would you recommend? Thanks for your feed back. Please don't hurt me too bad if this post is a egregious example of bad forum etiquette.

Vancourt Richards@ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vans-High-Caliber-Tattoo/288688974583075

Jesse Roberts Tattooer

Baraka Naga | News

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks all for the replies. I don't see anyone voting for Horiryu I. I will take a look at all the suggestions. Trying to stay within 3 to 4 hours drive time from Seattle.

If you are looking for Japanese tattooing that is a three hour drive from Seattle I have two suggestions. Chad Woodley tattoos in Vancouver BC. He doesn't post a lot of tattoos, but his Japanese stuff is as good as you will find in western Canada. Jason Kundell is in Portland Oregon, and he is as good as it gets. His style isn't exactly what I think you are talking about when you say bold Japanese tattooing, but it is definitely bold Japanese tattooing. Just maybe not as traditional as you have in mind. You also have Jim Rosal in Yakima, and Bo Mcconaghie who tattoos somewhere right outside of Seattle. Having a Hori attached to your name doesn't necessarily make you a good Japanese style tattooer. Nothing against Horiyru. I am familiar with his work, but it isn't something that I am into. It is all a matter of taste so if you like his stuff don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Hi all,

About to highjack the thread. My justification is last activity on this thread one week ago. I am a newb so I cannot start a new thread. I have used the search function without result. My question is along a similar line as the Op's question. That being said here goes. for my second significant tattoo I want a Japanese style. I live near Seattle and don't want to travel too far so I can do multiple short sessions.

you just need a few more posts to start a thread... say hi to some folks or join a conversation. ;)

this link will help you for your future local needs... http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/3532-shops-pacific-northwest.html

listen to @Avery Taylor

go hawks!