I don't begrudge anyone for wanting their piece of the cake, but that chick that's going to be on it, who's apparently from my own beloved Philadelphia, seems like she's trying WAY to hard to be a personality. I don't know her and that's just musing idly, but she looks like she's bursting at the seams to be the next big thing.

I have to reiterate what i said earlier, that anything one says about these shows is perceived as jealousy or envy.

That being said , I expected the worst, but hoped for the best.

My critique----

As a New Yorker, from Brooklyn -- it's is because of people like that guy Chris that I now live in Alaska.

His on screen persona is pretty awful.

As a female who does tattoos I couldn't and don't identify with the female who tattoos on the show. So the " I'm not respected as a female tattooist " is maybe something that could have been explored in the 1990s, maybe and I don't like her on screen persona either.

All the extra people annoy me, the tv drama etc.

Ami is Ami and his mentor was Louie ( who I knew and cared for ) but if anyone knew Louie than watching Ami act the way he does is to be expected.

I do really like Tim's work and his on screen edited personality was OK.

I hate the show so far

I'm a little disappointed but also not surprised about that. I was hoping to see a show about doing tattoos and not a bunch of tear jerker BS.

To me this is Miami Ink/LA Ink all over again. With all the complaining that Ami did in him TAM interview I don't understand why he's doing it all over again. Its a repeat of everything he complained about....

First episode and already like four arguments including a shove. I'll be watching each and every show.

I'm bummed it's the same ol same ol. Lemme guess, youre getting tattooed cuz somebody died? oh what's the story behind your tattoo? Who cares?!!!!! Getting tattooed and tattooers and people in general are interesting enough. No need to fish for a story. I still think it needs to be done taxi cab confessions style.

That counter lady is crazy. She mentioned she comes from the corporate world and wanted something a little less formal. The first thing she does is start micro managing and acts like a secretary in an office to people coming into the shop. Lame. The woman tattooer looks like she does good work. The whole not getting respect thing is probably bullshit. Look at women like dawn Cooke, Katie sellergren, and our very own Deb Yarian. If she feels she's not getting respect, I don't think it's because of her work must be something else.

All this crap being said, I love tattooing. The good and even some of the bad. My DVR is set. Hopefully we'll get to see some real good tattoos on this show. A little less chattin and a little more tattin.

For some reason,i thought i was going to see less drama,and more tattoos.What was i thinking.I don't believe anything i see on these shows.Everybody has a role to play,and some are better actor's than other's.I guess they wanted a stereotypical New Yorker,and Chris fit the bill.I think this show might have even more stupid drama than LA Ink.From the previews on the first show,there seems to be some fighting going on between Ami,Chris,and Tim.I saw that girl Megan at a convention like 5 years ago,and she was doing real colorful girlie style tattoos.I did just meet this dude who had an old dodge car tattoo from her,and it looked real nice.

Whatever happened to Tattoo Wars on t.v. ? I think it aired on TLC at night, I don't remember, but I thought it was cool. I saw the episode with bugs XD

Tattoo Wars was actually really great! Guessing they pulled it for lack of "drama". Haven't caught NY Ink yet.. but looks like they're at least headed in the right direction with Tim Hendricks (and Luke Wessman??) on.

I kind of hope this show doesn't come to England. I'm already sick of people telling me what their tattoos mean, and the dramatic stories behind them.

On the other hand, it could be fun if you play the Needles and Sins drinking game while you watch it. Have you guys seen that yet?

NY INK DRINKING GAME

11:52 AM

Tonight at 10/9C, The Learning Channel will be debuting their latest tatttoo-reality show, NY Ink - and if you're anything like us, you rolled your eyes upon learning of the show and let out an ultra-snotty, "Oh, just what we needed, another tattoo-reality show."

(Full Disclosure - We actually have several friends on the show and wish them the best of luck. After all, most tattooists don't have 401(k) retirement plans, so we're all in favor of "buying-in" before our tattooist pals get arthritis and scoliosis. That said, we gave our pals full warning that we'd be mocking them incessantly - because that's what friends do.)

But after a dozen adult beverages at happy hour, we at Needles and Sins (along with the awesome help of Nathan at KnuckleTattoos.com) think we've found a way to incorporate an exciting plot twist in what will otherwise be a "same story, different city" situation. That's right - we hereby present to you the SEMI-OFFICIAL NY INK DRINKING GAME!

The rules are listed below my introductory video, but if you don't want to drink in front of the TV while cradling your laptop (and we wouldn't recommend that) we've also whipped up a printable PDF Rulesheet.

SHOW RULES

TAKE A DRINK...

Every time they do an establishing shot of a New York landmark (the Brooklyn Bridge, the Statue of Liberty, subways, yellow cabs, etc).

Every time there's incredibly scripted voice over/testimonial monologue (ie - "If you can make it here in New York, you can make it anywhere" or "It's not easy running a shop, but with a crew of talented artists like this...")

If someone gets a NYC tattoo (see above references, plus Yankees logos. If they get a twin towers tattoo, pour two tall shots and drink both)

During any discussion of the Sacred Three Taboo Tattoo Areas (above the collar, below the cuff, under the underwear)

If anyone actually gets a tattoo in one of the S.T.T.T.A. you have to drink every time it is shown.

SHOP RULES

TAKE A DRINK...

Every time Ami James complains about being in New York City (adventurous, high-tolerance drinkers should simply drink every time Ami complains about anything).

Every time Ami has his shirt off in the shop for no explicable reason (this ain't Miami, son)

Every time the "shop girl" looks like she's near tears.

Every time someone is wearing those fashionable, black latex gloves.

Every time an artist is late for an appointment

Every time an artist storms out of the shop in anger (take two drinks - one for you and one for the drink he/she is about to go get around the corner).

CLIENT RULES

TAKE A DRINK...

Every time someone mentions a personal project (band, blog, self-published book, etc) to garner press for personal gain.

Every time a client is getting a "memorial tattoo" (however, any time it's for a "homey who ain't here" you are required to pour some out - pets and family members are excluded from this stipulation). If you tear up during one of the memorial tattoo descriptions, CHUG your drink and then punch yourself in the junk.

Every time there is a meaningful, heartfelt "back story" behind a client's inspiration for their tattoo.

Every time a client mentions their congenital/accidental disability (drink twice if the tattoo "empowers" them)

Every time a client starts crying at their new, beautiful tattoo (CHUG for as long as they're crying DURING the tattooing process).

If someone pusses out on a tattoo, finish your drink and then hunt them for sport ("Functioning Alcoholic" level players only).

Every time a client walks in with a completely un-tattooable piece of reference art (drink double if the client or their friend drew it).

**BONUS LEVELS**

AMATEUR HOUR

Pick three (3) rules total from any category.

HAPPY HOUR

Pick six (6) rules total from any two categories

FULL RULES

(Well, now... someone wore their big-boy pants today!)

FUNCTIONAL ALCOHOLIC SKILLSET

All rules from page one apply, plus...

If you know the client personally, double all drinking requirements.

Every time a large-scale tattoo (full sleeve, backpiece, etc) is completed in one episode - take one drink every session it presumably took to complete.

BUKOWSKI RULES

All previous rules apply, plus stock your bar for the following:

Make your alcohol-choices directly related to the tattoo happening on-screen. Sake or Asahi for Japanese work, Miller Lite for tribal work, Irish whiskey for "memorial" tattoos, tequila for fine-line black-and-grey work, wine coolers for tramp stamps (amaretto sours are also acceptable - but one is required to scream "WOOOO!" or chant "Gym, Tan, Laundry!")

And may God have mercy on your soul... and your liver.

(Thanks again to Nathan at KnuckleTattoos for his help - if you have any recommendations for additional rules, tweet them with the hashtag #nyinkdrinkinggame)

Go to Needles and Sins Tattoo Blog and it should still be on the front page- it sounds hilarious :)

I kind of hope this show doesn't come to England. I'm already sick of people telling me what their tattoos mean, and the dramatic stories behind them.

On the other hand, it could be fun if you play the Needles and Sins drinking game while you watch it. Have you guys seen that yet?

Go to Needles and Sins Tattoo Blog and it should still be on the front page- it sounds hilarious :)

This is the best drinking game ever! I so wish I was still a functioning alcoholic! Of course, this game could conceivably push anyone over the edge.

Did someone add to my post there? If so, thanks!

Yeah I think the game could even put some of my "heavyweight drinker" friends in a coma. Since I'm quite small, I'd probably die :P Especially since I know someone who is going to be in the show (double the drinking? Oh dear!). A fellow blogger should be in the series finale, he was telling me how he isn't allowed to tell anyone about what happened at all and signed a contract, which is a bit crap since he also writes about tattoos.

The closest I've ever come to something like that was a photographer for Tattoo magazine at the Philly convention, I was laughing my ass off while getting tattooed. I'd never want to be on tv for some tattoo, and out of every "What ever location-Ink" the only person I'd want to get ink from is probably Tim. He seems more passionate about what he does. Where as the rest seem to be in it for the fame. But I doubt that will ever happen :-p

This is on Daredevil Tattoo blog about the NY Ink Show..I couldn't have said it better.

That's right I said it. People keep asking what we think of the new show and I'd say that about sums it up. I only saw the first episode. We've been expecting the worst and it's the worst. Chris Torres is the only artist in fact from New York and he was cast as TLC's tattooed answer to Jersey Shore. Their space is reminiscent of the set of Friends. Ami's shop, or I should say TLC's new tattoo parlour on Wooster Street is the unrealistic equivalent of Monica's huge apartment that only a character on TV could afford. All the "I hope I can pay the bills" is a joke. Real life tattoo shops do not have ads on the sides of buses. They're casting the same sorry customers. Dead babies, cancer, tragic endings are needed for inspirational subject matter. (nothing against memorial tattoos except TLC thinks that's the only compelling reason to get tattooed)

I'm surprised at how many people actually think there's any reality involved. The scenarios are scripted it's become an hour of bad acting and cheesy scripts. As interesting as a tattoo shop can be and as much fun as it is to get glimpses into our customers lives and their motivations for getting tattooed the reality is that these shows are orchesrated by people who have no actual interest in our industry. There is no understanding or appreciation for the truly fascinating stories and backgrounds of the people who come through our doors (not just the sob stories). It's a caricature written by squares who think they know what a tattoo shop is about. It takes a lot of talent to really portray people's reality in a way that is respectful and truly compelling. I'm a huge fan of documentaries. I love learning about other people's realities. But it takes thought and vision to capture that spark that can be so interesting. Something that doesn't easily fit into the drive by format of a TV series I guess. It's too bad that there is no respect for our industry involved in the creation of these shows. Tattooing is such a rich subject matter it's dissapointing to see it dumbed down for the masses but I guess we shouldn't expect anything else.

By the way shame on TLC for knocking off our friend Mark Mahoney's shop name SHAMROCK SOCIAL CLUB.

Devil City Press

I have to reiterate what i said earlier, that anything one says about these shows is perceived as jealousy or envy
Wouldn't they if they had the chance to be on TV jump at the chance?

this an opinion apparently shared by many. what makes people think you have to be jealous to think that these shows are absolute drivel?

what makes people think everyone wants to be on tv? in fact, just about all of the artists that influenced me and shaped my outlook on Our Thing are humble, hard working folks that don't feel the need for the spotlight, and feel no need to get an ego boost or gain any 'fame' beyond what their hard-earned reputation in our community has brought them.

there are plenty of tattooers that intentionally fly under the radar, many of them quite talented and well known in our community, that also agree with my opinion that not only is this is just crap

yes, indeed, there are most likely plenty of envious people that would like to be in that spotlight. but don't be so quick to assume that if everyone is so desperate to be noticed.

this an opinion apparently shared by many. what makes people think you have to be jealous to think that these shows are absolute drivel?

what makes people think everyone wants to be on tv? in fact, just about all of the artists that influenced me and shaped my outlook on Our Thing are humble, hard working folks that don't feel the need for the spotlight, and feel no need to get an ego boost or gain any 'fame' beyond what their hard-earned reputation in our community has brought them.

there are plenty of tattooers that intentionally fly under the radar, many of them quite talented and well known in our community, that also agree with my opinion that not only is this is just crap

yes, indeed, there are most likely plenty of envious people that would like to be in that spotlight. but don't be so quick to assume that if everyone is so desperate to be noticed.

I think that someone might think that being on one of these shows might be like winning the lottery.

That financial need might be taken out of the equation, leaving someone to do what they do and to choose their projects based on the enjoyment and satisfaction that they receive from them.

I am way late to the game but I watched my first episode of ink "gloves off" I was suprised montoya said he was sick of portraits while he was doing a portrait on a guy

Yeah I would take about 99% of what's said/done on the shows with a gigantic grain of salt. There are producers, millions of dollars of advertising behind it.. if there's no drama, there's no show. Why do you think Tattoo Wars only lasted a few episodes? Well-known tattooers doing great tattoos -- sorry, not interesting to the general public.