Introduction

jbmccormick

Unfortunately I am one of those unlucky few who is unable to have it but hoping that will change in time. For now I get to appreciate the craft and artwork. The more I study the craft the more I appreciate the artistic results.

Since I can't have it and pack the artistic abililities to do the craft I focus on the more technical, legal and business side and hope to contribute there. Having been a surgical tech I can understand and appreciate the challenges in this regard an artist faces.

There is a need for a shop near a college that nobody seems willing or able to front the capital required to set up, open and run the shop. Perhaps in time I will be able to assist in that, but for now there is a lot to learn.

The goal would be to have a fully compliant, safe, comfortable location where the artist can focus only on their art and craft. The costs sure add up quickly so we'll just have to wait and see.

For now, I'm observing and studying out of interest.

Welcome to LST. This is such a great place to learn about tattoos. One thing you will probably see here is that most of us believe that the only way to really learn about tattoos and tattoo culture is to start getting tattooed. I don't know why that is not an option for you, but you will have a difficult time accessing the wonderful world of tattoos without that first hand experience. It's why we are all here!

First hand experience is certainly best but is not an option. I'm hopeful there will be beneficial information about the industry in general. That is about all I can expect from most online forums. I have some contacts to discuss details with. Mostly it is finding the time to compile the information I do have.

- - - Updated - - -

First hand experience is certainly best but is not an option. I'm hopeful there will be beneficial information about the industry in general. That is about all I can expect from most online forums. I have some contacts to discuss details with. Mostly it is finding the time to compile the information I do have.

You are unlikely to ever get any good info about the "industry" without any tattoos. I'd suggest you read this thread: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/152-non-tattooers-opening-shops.html

Thank you for pointing me toward a discussion on the subject. Of course I don't know the motivation of "Old Man River" and whatever his/her motivations were or his intended purpose is not my concern. What I do know is that many non-tattooing owners (or at least non serious collectors) often fail at opening shops. This is true for many reasons; some the same as the original poster had in mind and probably many others as well. On the other hand, artist owners opening shops also fail at a remarkable rate and again for many reasons. The fact is, businesses open and close for many reasons.

I'm not in any rush. I've been working on this for more than 5 years and feel no need or desire to force anything. Once everything is in place, I will decide at that point if it is even worth the effort or not. You are very correct in your identification of potential pitfalls, challenges and problems. But those exist regardless of who attempts to open a shop. Even artists have difficulty in someone elses shop or their own. This is a business. It requires licenses and inspections and supplies, etc.

My thoughts are simple; every minute an artist is working out payroll, taxes, rent, utilities, etc they are not working on their art. It is their art that provides the income for his family and revenue to support the business. Unless everyone is only working out of their home but that is another issue. The ignorance I see with many posts about basic aseptic techniques and other things is frightening.

The number of tattooists is increasing probably largely in part to the "reality shows". Personally I think the best one made isn't even on the air yet but should be soon. I am sure everybody here already knows of the work of Marcus Kuhn, Gypsy Gentleman. The problem is many think they just buy a $40 kit, practice on a bag of grapefruits and *snap* they are now a professional tattooist. Many go to the 2-week wonder courses that somehow infuse immense amounts of experience and skills. Many of these open shops. Most fail.

So I appreciate the opinions and I have my own. I have done my own research and know what direction I want to go and will consider all options including "none of the above" but that decision is mine to make and will be for my own reasons. I don't know any of those who posted here nor do any of them know me at all. The post you referred me to definitely has merit and is of interest. I understand the attitudes artists will have toward non-artist owners and I do respect that.

Time will tell. I'm patient and have no need to rush into anything. I've already spent 5 years considering the matter and invested quite a bit of time and money on the subject. But I feel no pressure. If this site proves to have information of value I will gladly remain and perhaps even contribute in areas that I certainly have experience in.

It's been a while since I've seen someone use this many words to say nearly nothing.

This almost sounds auto-generated.

Well, except for this, which is pretty pretentious. Like if we're good enough for him, heh.

If this site proves to have information of value I will gladly remain and perhaps even contribute in areas that I certainly have experience in.

Perhaps we don't feed the troll.

Not sure I understand why exactly you want to open a tattoo shop when you're not into tattoos??? Why not open a candy shop or sell car parts or whatever it is you're into, you must have some hobbies or interests, too?

Sure, there may be tattoo artists out there who could do with help from someone with business skills, but they'd probably be better off with someone who has both, business skills and a passion for tattoos...which almost certainly exists. Well, good luck anyway...

• 3 weeks later...

sure, no value here anyway. Plenty of professionals available, guess just none here. Kind of funny though so I will enjoy checking in to watch the banterings. I do want to thank those that contributed here in proving what I already knew. This was a test to disprove my theory, but it was only confirmed.

Ignoring trolls robs them of their self-perceived power. How to block trolls and their inane, useless and passive aggressive "contributions" can be found here, with useful instructions below.

General Forum Usage

Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.