Hi, new here and looking for opinions on my sleeve in progress that is stressing me

DragonFanSa

Hi Guys,

My name is Harry and I am from South Africa. I decided I wanted to get a themed dragon sleeve and eventually found a dragon I liked. I wanted a skyline of the world as an armband and a water colour background and volcano. Things seem to not come together. I like the dragon a lot even though it is not black as I wanted. I wanted a red watercolour skyline but then it came out horrendous. I asked at the next session for it to be turned black it the artist said the black will merge with the dragon and therefore he suggested a gradient which I was okay with. I find the skyline a bit untidy and want it neatened up. What do you think? Then the vocano was a disaster. It looked nothing like the picture (I had asked him to draw it before but he didn´t) The smoke looks like bubbles and the alignment is totally off from the skyline. I am not sure what to do :(

Before the changes to the skyline and before the volcano

2wp8bvl.jpg

After the changes and watercolour sun added

2moz1hc.jpg

The volcano close up

vfkys5.jpg

The original Volcano pic I got the idea from:

13yne2x.jpg

Back of arm meeting of the skyline and volcano

eoilk.jpg

Original dragon pic

r2jmok.jpg

I have 1 more session left to finish the background. I want these blue tiles above the dragon and inbetween and then black tiles below the skyline and volcano forming an armband

10ztilt.jpg

What do you guys think? What do you think I can do to fix the misalignment of the volcano and the smoke that looks like bubbles?

Also, I have had 2 six hour sessions so far and the artist has not even asked to take a pic to put on insta/facebook and what not when he always uploads his work even in progress ones. So this defo shows that he knows he has done a bad job :( I hope he is not on this website lmfao.

I'm not very familiar with watercolor tattoos, but the colors look kinda muddy, and there's some shaky lines. Maybe look into a different artist if you're not happy with how it looks, and your new artist can clean it up a little?

It also sounds like you're trying to incorporate a lot of different things. Keep it simple!

Good luck!

you're not happy with the results i get that part

however i was a little confused with some of the post content

but it might be that i ate too much pizza last night apologies in advance

EDIT: anyone else get pizza hangovers? anyone...bueller...

anyway - i kinda dig the dragon bout to kick ass to that bridge thing you got going right there

keep on keeping on with your ideas and tattooes but maybe this artist's application isnt gonna sync wth your vision - dont be afraid to shop around some

as time goes on - you may like what you just got done enough to wear it proudly

I'm not very familiar with watercolor tattoos, but the colors look kinda muddy, and there's some shaky lines. Maybe look into a different artist if you're not happy with how it looks, and your new artist can clean it up a little?

It also sounds like you're trying to incorporate a lot of different things. Keep it simple!

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice. The shaky lines in the skyline? I don't even know why he did that. The template he created did not have shaky lines. I think he tried to make the city look in ruins. So you think the blue tile background would not look nice? Should I get a plain background? I think it looks muddy cos I am dark skinned lolol. But the skyline is a bit dodge cos he tried to cover up with some black and create a gradient and it didn't work. Urgh I am so stressed.

- - - Updated - - -

you're not happy with the results i get that part

however i was a little confused with some of the post content

but it might be that i ate too much pizza last night apologies in advance

EDIT: anyone else get pizza hangovers? anyone...bueller...

anyway - i kinda dig the dragon bout to kick ass to that bridge thing you got going right there

keep on keeping on with your ideas and tattooes but maybe this artist's application isnt gonna sync wth your vision - dont be afraid to shop around some

as time goes on - you may like what you just got done enough to wear it proudly

Thanks. basically what I have left to do is those blue tiles as background to form sort of a digital sky. And then below the skyline would be black tiles to extend the tattoo and neaten but the bottom but also tie in with the blue tiles. You think it is bad idea. I am generally happy with the dragon. I wish it was black though but I think he did a good job with that. Even the vocano itself is good but that damn smoke.

- - - Updated - - -

Below is a link to his work which is pretty good so I am not sure if it is a good idea to get a new artist or just stick with him and have him correct it? Also since he redid the skyline I am thinking it would take countless laser sessions to remove it.

http://instagram.com/moosetattooart

I don't know, you wanted a water color skyline and then you say it looks muddy? That's what you asked for. Throwing in random blue dotted lines would confuse the whole thing. Instead of trying to have so much control over it, why don't you get your artists opinion on what he would do. I'm not sure why you would give him a reference picture of cotton candy coming out of a volcano and then be angry at the result.

I don't know, you wanted a water color skyline and then you say it looks muddy? That's what you asked for. Throwing in random blue dotted lines would confuse the whole thing. Instead of trying to have so much control over it, why don't you get your artists opinion on what he would do. I'm not sure why you would give him a reference picture of cotton candy coming out of a volcano and then be angry at the result.

Urgh I regret the cotton candy smoke lmfao. I am thinking it may be easily covered up though? Maybe like with paint splatter? I actually didn't want a water colour skyline, I just took a patchy looking skyline as a reference because it had some of the buildings I wanted. And I sent via email other buildings I wanted incorporated. Only on the day of the tattoo did I realize he wanted to do it watercolour. It was more his idea than mine. I gave him a lot of artistic freedom! He didn't even draw the designs up when I asked. he would ignore my emails and then when I came in for my appointment he would say it is not needed and he would change a few things to make it work. He said the same for the volcano appointment ( I asked specifically for the smoke to be drawn beforehand as I would of changed it to streaks of paint if the smoke was not possible) and he ignored it and on the day he said it will be exactly the same. I am so easy going and introverted that I would hardly say I am trying to control anything. I think I gave him a fair amount of artistic freedom. The picture of the skyline I have him is a bit different. He added some broken bits and messiness on his own. i didn't even know until it was done.

Reference:

2uztr2g.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I hate to say it but he pretty much gave you exactly what you wanted. Some images just don't translate to the skin. This is why non-artists shouldn't design their own tattoos. Next time find an artist you like and give him/her a little more free rein.

I do agree with you. I do not know what works on skin and what doesn't. But he never said otherwise. I gave him a lot of reign. I asked him to design it beforehand but he didn't bother.

- - - Updated - - -

What is a blast over? A different tattoo artist had suggested I get a jap dragon but I was more inclined to sort of modern looking dragons.

I do not know what works on skin and what doesn't. But he never said otherwise. I gave him a lot of reign. I asked him to design it beforehand but he didn't bother.

Based on your latest post, I would not go back to this guy. If this is really the skyline he created based on the reference material, I'd run - even the buildings are different, and those were the buildings you wanted! If you really wanted that volcano, a good artist could certainly add more black and sharper details to better match the reference. Is this really made by the same guy from the instagram link you posted?

@DJDeepFried said it well - you shouldn't be directing every aspect of this tattoo, and you shouldn't have to. A good artist would put all those elements together in a good way, or tell you why it shouldn't be done the way you envision and suggest other designs.

What is a blast over?

From what I understand, and I am not an artist nor have I had one (a blast over, not an artist lol), a blast over is simply doing a new tattoo right over the old one without any laser treatments to lighten the original one. It would take a talented artist make a design that could cover the original well, and the resulting tattoo would have much more black and contrast - which would be a good thing. It would likely be larger as well - which is always cool. You can always request that some parts be saved and reworked if want, since you like this dragon. Maybe an artist will swing around by and enlighten us all.

...and I have to say, you are asking great questions and being very forthcoming about your experience and being thoughtful about the feedback you are getting, and not taking anything personally. Nothing is directed at anyone personally, just conversation about your tattooing experience. Everyone wants awesome tattoos. I really hope you find a good outcome that you are happy with.

Based on your latest post, I would not go back to this guy. If this is really the skyline he created based on the reference material, I'd run. Even the buildings are different! Honestly, is this really made by the same guy from the instagram link you posted?

From what I understand, and I am not an artist nor have I had one (a blast over, not an artist lol), a blast over is simply doing a new tattoo right over the old one without any laser treatments to lighten the original one. It would take a talented artist make a design that could cover the original well, and the resulting tattoo would have much more black and contrast - which would be a good thing. It would likely be larger as well - which is always cool. You can always request that some parts be saved and reworked if want, since you like this dragon. Maybe an artist will swing around by and enlighten us all.

...and I have to say, you are asking great questions and being very forthcoming about your experience and being thoughtful about the feedback you are getting, and not taking anything personally. Nothing is directed at anyone personally, just conversation about your tattooing experience. I really hope you find a good outcome that you are happy with.

Hi, thanks for your response. I swear it is the same artist. well I sent him about 10 images of buildings I wanted in the skyline. He basically only changed the reference to include the golden gate bridge and he removed the other new york building. And then he said as we go along he will add my other buildings. Which never happened. So you think it is possible to just blast the skyline with a new skyline. What are your opinions on the actual dragon? Here is a closer pic of the dragon:

2ch0tw0.jpg

Two things went wrong here,your idea,and his application..I think a more experienced tattooer would have guided you into a better background,and not tried to incorporate all the different elements.I would go with a better,more experienced tattooer,and not try to dictate every part of the tattoo.Some more shops to check out..

https://www.facebook.com/thebodyarchitectstattoostudio

Metal Machine Tattoo and Piercing Studio

Cape Electric Tattoo - Modern Electric Tattooing

Instagram

@DragonFanSa Ah I see what kind of situation you're in now. The guy seems to have taken some liberty with poor choices. I'm sure it can be fixed and turned in to something you are proud of. I'm not sure I would return to the original artist. He has already made some poor decisions, you can't be sure he won't make more.

Two things went wrong here,your idea,and his application..I think a more experienced tattooer would have guided you into a better background,and not tried to incorporate all the different elements.I would go with a better,more experienced tattooer,and not try to dictate every part of the tattoo.Some more shops to check out..

https://www.facebook.com/thebodyarchitectstattoostudio

Metal Machine Tattoo and Piercing Studio

Cape Electric Tattoo - Modern Electric Tattooing

Instagram

Thanks I will check it out. Yeah I was always unsure about my ideas but he seemed so into them so I thought it would come out fine

- - - Updated - - -

@DragonFanSa Ah I see what kind of situation you're in now. The guy seems to have taken some liberty with poor choices. I'm sure it can be fixed and turned in to something you are proud of. I'm not sure I would return to the original artist. He has already made some poor decisions, you can't be sure he won't make more.

Thanks. Yeah I think maybe this kind of design was out of his comfort zone. I was happy with the dragon until I got everyone's feedback on it from forums :/

I think the dragon is cool - it would look more cool with more black and a bad ass snarly face. IMO it is the best part of the tattoo.

I can't comment on blasting over in a particular case - I just conveyed my understanding of it. It's certainly worth seeing some good artists in order to get a real opinion of what they might suggest, even if you were to decide to stay with this artist.

- - - Updated - - -

I was happy with the dragon until I got everyone's feedback on it from forums :/

And that's what really sucks about asking what other people think of a tattoo. If you like it, then screw what people think. But it seemed like you were really struggling with it and would consider other thoughts. So, don't feel unhappy about it - feel happy that you've got some good names and if you want, you have a good path to making the tattoo as kickass as you imagined one could be.

I think the dragon is cool - it would look more cool with more black and a bad ass snarly face. IMO it is the best part of the tattoo.

I can't comment on blasting over in a particular case - I just conveyed my understanding of it. It's certainly worth seeing some good artists in order to get a real opinion of what they might suggest, even if you were to decide to stay with this artist.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's what really sucks about asking what other people think of a tattoo. If you like it, then screw what people think. But it seemed like you were really struggling with it and would consider other thoughts. So, don't feel unhappy about it - feel happy that you've got some good names and if you want, you have a good path to making the tattoo as kickass as you imagined one could be.

The other good artists have like 6 month + waiting lists. I think I am going to consult with one of them. I wanted the dragon in black in the first place :( I don't know if you can see but it is holding the moon so I wanted it to have a curious face but it looks kinda annoyed lmfao. I also wanted it to look more robotic. I didn't tell him anything about my feelings towards the dragon because I was so horrified at the skyline that I just wanted that fixed.

Hi @DragonFanSa!

Welcome to Last Sparrow! I regret to hear that your tattoo experience has hit some bumps. With time, patience and the right artist it will all work out in the end. :)

When something doesn't work out it is really easy to get into a space where you want to pursue corrections quickly. Sometimes, though difficult, it's good to just stop and take a breather. It will give you some mental and creative space to:

1) Get clear on what you want to change and how to best express that

2) Research some new artists, styles and ideas that will take you closer to your desired end result

I got a tattoo once that wasn't terrible but sort of made me crazy from the moment it was finished and I waited, literally, years to change it. I got it re-worked into a larger piece that I am completely mad-crazy in love with. Living with it for a while allowed the emotional dust to settle and some objectivity to enter the picture in what I really wanted changed/didn't like about it.

Also, don't be afraid to walk away from even a talented tattoo artist if there is no point of connection in your communication. It's not just about finding a good tattooer but the RIGHT, good tattooer for you. Trust yourself. If you need to see a drawing to feel more comfortable with what is going on, then find someone who will do that for you (as long as you are not micro-managing/controlling the process, of course. I know, I know...it's all about balance, right?:D ).

I promise you, its is worth the wait, time, attention and money to find the right person with right skills who will facilitate good communication with you.

All the best and good luck!

Hi @DragonFanSa!

Welcome to Last Sparrow! I regret to hear that your tattoo experience has hit some bumps. With time, patience and the right artist it will all work out in the end. :)

When something doesn't work out it is really easy to get into a space where you want to pursue corrections quickly. Sometimes, though difficult, it's good to just stop and take a breather. It will give you some mental and creative space to:

1) Get clear on what you want to change and how to best express that

2) Research some new artists, styles and ideas that will take you closer to your desired end result

I got a tattoo once that wasn't terrible but sort of made me crazy from the moment it was finished and I waited, literally, years to change it. I got it re-worked into a larger piece that I am completely mad-crazy in love with. Living with it for a while allowed the emotional dust to settle and some objectivity to enter the picture in what I really wanted changed/didn't like about it.

Also, don't be afraid to walk away from even a talented tattoo artist if there is no point of connection in your communication. It's not just about finding a good tattooer but the RIGHT, good tattooer for you. Trust yourself. If you need to see a drawing to feel more comfortable with what is going on, then find someone who will do that for you (as long as you are not micro-managing/controlling the process, of course. I know, I know...it's all about balance, right?:D ).

I promise you, its is worth the wait, time, attention and money to find the right person with right skills who will facilitate good communication with you.

All the best and good luck!

Thanks very much for the advice. I am going to wait a while before going ahead with another session. I think I need to just book a consult with another artist so that I can be reassured that it can be fixed or covered up and then I can relax.

Thanks very much for the advice. I am going to wait a while before going ahead with another session. I think I need to just book a consult with another artist so that I can be reassured that it can be fixed or covered up and then I can relax.

Sounds like a good plan, don't rush it! In the meantime, do lots of research and check out some more Dragons if you like ;-)

Hope you end up happier next time! You've come to a great place for advice here, so you're on a good way...

I made a similar mistake, thought I could make up my own design for a sleeve and not just go with a theme and pick a good artist to do what they do best. I am not an artist, wouldn't expect an artist to come do my job. It sucks, but luckily there are forums like this (wish I knew about this when I was 20) and options now days. It will take time. Your in a much better boat than me, good luck. I like that dragon though BTW

I made a similar mistake, thought I could make up my own design for a sleeve and not just go with a theme and pick a good artist to do what they do best. I am not an artist, wouldn't expect an artist to come do my job. It sucks, but luckily there are forums like this (wish I knew about this when I was 20) and options now days. It will take time. Your in a much better boat than me, good luck. I like that dragon though BTW

Thanks man. I do like the dragon but people on this forum made me question it now. So I am hoping another artist can rework it and give it some depth. Do you have a pic of your tattoo?

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a good plan, don't rush it! In the meantime, do lots of research and check out some more Dragons if you like ;-)

Hope you end up happier next time! You've come to a great place for advice here, so you're on a good way...

Thanks :) I really didn't want a jap dragon as everyone has it and it lost its appeal. I wanted a cyborg, futuristic, robot looking dragon. I think the tattoo needs to heal first cos it looks even worse now with the peeling and shininess so that new artist might think it is an even bigger disaster. I looked up lasering and in my country it is way too exp. I asked for a quote and it was (in equivalent) 180 dollars per session and i would need 15 sessions and that is just to remove the skyline and the volcano.

I think your dragon and volcano reference pictures are cool, but the execution isn't doing it for you. You've got a good idea. Let someone fix it :)

Thanks. The volcano smoke and the skyline is what is stressing me out the most. I know the dragon can be touched up for more depth and color. I am considering having crows on top of the ugly smoke.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough, just thought you might enjoy the thread. I get where you're coming from though.

I don't know anything about lasering, but I believe there is an expert on this forum, too. Have you seen this?

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-removal-coverup/5949-have-questions-about-laser-tattoo-removal-ask-thread.html

I know most people hate the dragon reference pic but I love the humanoid, cyborg, robotic feel to it. Like it came to earth searching for something