Favorite Albums of 2014 Year End List

CultExciter

We did this last year, and I discovered some stuff I hadn't heard of...because most of y'all are more in depth and intelligent people than I. So here goes. My favorite records of 2014 in no particular order.

1. Protomartyr - Under Color of Official Right

2. Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else

3. Run The Jewels - RTJ2

4. Young Fathers - Dead

5. Fucked Up - Glass Boys

6. Vince Staples - Hell Can Wait (EP)

7. GRMLN - Soon Away

8. At The Gates - At War With Reality

9. Life Without Buildings - Any Other City

10. Spider Bags - Frozen Letter

Fucked Up - Glass Boys (slow version!)

Long Knife - Meditations on Self Destruction

https://soundcloud.com/noisey/sets/long-knife-meditations-on-self-destruction

No Problem - We're Already Dead

We're Already Dead | deranged records

SLATES - Taiga

Taiga | SLATES

Ben Disaster - See You Next Spring

SEE YOU NEXT SPRING | Ben Disaster

Sleaford Mods - Divide and Exit

http://sleafordmods.bandcamp.com/

Chronixx - Dread N Terrible

"

...and Guardians of the Galaxy - Awesome Mixtape #1 Soundtrack

This Means War - The Old Firm Casuals

Hard to pick one because my favorites change almost daily, but this band is one that I'm really digging and this, their newest album, it's pretty awesome. Frontman is Lars Frederiksen who used to be/is the guitarist and backup vocalist for Rancid. Funnily enough I read somewhere the other day that Lars actually worked at 222 tattoo as a shop helper while Rancid was taking a break from touring at one point. I thought it was a cool connection between a rad shop and rad musician

We did this last year, and I discovered some stuff I hadn't heard of...because most of y'all are more in depth and intelligent people than I.

So much this ^ . All my new stuff is from recommendations in the metalheads thread so thanks to all of you who post in there ! Here's my very short list .

YOB Clearing the path to ascend

EYEHATEGOD Eyehategod

Electric Wizard Time to die

No particular order

Big KRIT - Cadillacitica

Royce Da 5' 9" & DJ Premiere - Pryhme

Killer Mike & El-P - Run The Jewels 2

Freddie Gibbs - Pinata

Ras Kass & Apollo Brown - Blasphemy

Stalley - Ohio

Ghostface Killa - 36 Seasons

Twista - Dark Horse

Curren$y - Drive Thru Theatre

Common - Nobodies Smiling

YOB Clearing the path to ascend

Seconded. Haven't heard the new E-wiz yet (well, we listened to it at a recent tattoo session but it's a big torso tattoo, so I didn't really 'listen' to it, know what I mean?)

Here's one:

BUDOS BAND: burnt offering

I am in the same boat as @Graeme .... Funds diverted elsewhere. My record collection is not expanding at the rate it once did.

I'm pretty excited to check out the stuff I don't recognize in this thread.

I'm also pretty sure, based on what's in this thread already, that nobody on the forum is going to dig the stuff I contribute, lol. Oh well. The perils of having a really broad musical palate.

The

, earwormed the hell out of me this fall. On first listen I wouldn't have expected that at all. Downtempo trip-hoppy goodness. Two Weeks and Lights On were stuck in my head for weeks.

TV On the Radio, Seeds. I think two of their earlier albums, Dear Science and Nine Types of Light, are two of my favorite albums these days, full stop. I feel like everything these guys do is made of gold.

Pelican released Arktika this year (instrumental metal/postrock/etc. is the sorta niche end of the metal pool I usually hang out in). It's a Russian live show album. Has some older stuff on it, but I like it.

Because Mogwai.

The Black Keys, Turn Blue. Because The Black Keys.

This probably shouldn't count because it's a compilation and not a new album, but,

, the soundtrack for Guardians of the Galaxy, is fucking great. Judge me! I don't care! I chair-dance to this while I'm working!

There's a bunch of other stuff I wouldn't mind mentioning, but I dunno if I'd call it 'favorite.' Aphex Twin released an album this year after 13 years, Syro. Jurassic 5 got back together again. Sia's 1000 Forms of Fear, maybe? The Jezabels' album The Brink? (I discovered them when

was going around. You should check it out if you haven't. That kid is an animal.) Or Broods, Evergreen? Heck, MC Frontalot (of
internet fame, for fans of...um, Zork) put out an album this year too, for especially nerdy nerds like me. It is called Question Bedtime.

List of stuff that came out that I didn't get to buy that I want? Haha

Corrosion of conformity

Crowbar

Eye hate god

Pallbearer

Pilgrim

Tombs

Yob

Black anvil

Electric wizard

Mark lanegan

Tryptykon

And the stuff I did buy:

Run the jewels 2

Afghan whigs

Ben Howard

And a few used things..

Drag the river-s/t

Crosses

An early elliot album

I'm pretty excited to check out the stuff I don't recognize in this thread.

I'm also pretty sure, based on what's in this thread already, that nobody on the forum is going to dig the stuff I contribute, lol. Oh well. The perils of having a really broad musical palate.

The Black Keys, Turn Blue. Because The Black Keys.

I fucks with The Black Keys HEAVY!!!! I can't believe I forgot to mention them on my list!! I never was big fan of Jurassic 5 in the first place, but it was cool to hear they got back together.

The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There

Praise – Lights Went Out

Dikembe – Mediumship

Beach Slang - Who Would Ever Want Anything So Broken? and Cheap Thrills on a Dead End Street

Nothing – Guilty of Everything

Aaron West and the Roaring Twenties – We Don’t Have Each Other

Restorations – LP3

Run the Jewels - Run The Jewels 2

Lawrence Arms – Metropole

Taylor Swift - 1989