New Member from NY

jdongg

Hi all! I got my first tattoo a few months ago. It's of the scientific nature since I wanted it to reflect the research I do. Just a little background on myself: I studied mechanic engineering and computational mathematics but my research mostly focuses on the latter. More specifically, my work focuses on the environment, and I use mathematical models to help model groundwater contamination. For example, say there is some sort of chemical spill into the ground that's nearby to a groundwater reservoir. The models help predict how far the contamination "plume" is expected to spread, etc.

Anyway, so my first tattoo is really simple in design and I'm quite happy with it now. It's just some equations with a simple figure from my field of work, so the artist didn't do much with the design other than making sure it could fit properly and that the text wasn't too small. Was really impressed with the job he did though...literally looks like a typewriter shot those equations out. A couple of pics:

10mu9le.jpgpnllv.jpg

And I'm now considering extending the tattoo or getting another that would fill in the rest of the space on my lower arm. Thoughts? The theme and style would be similar to the first one, except I'm wanting this next one to be a bit more elaborate in that I want it to actually be "artistic" if that makes any sense. So I'll be consulting with the same artist sometime in the coming months. Since my first tattoo was so simple in design, the consultation basically consisted of making sure the design would fit on my forearm and making sure the font was actually doable.

But this time, all I really have are some elements from tattoos I've seen before that I like, as well as some pictures for inspiration. Is this enough for the initial consultation? Is the artist going to look at me like I'm a moron if I walk in with just this info?

Thanks all, and looking forward to getting to know you all!

Welcome to LST! Fellow engineer and nerd here - cool that you got your research tattooed on yourself. The lettering is amazingly consistent.

No, no one will think you are a nut to have reference material - you have the right idea. (Although if you show up with a ton if it, you'll probably be asked initially to pick out the stuff that is most important to you.)

Good luck and keep us posted!