Famous tattooer protocol?

peaceridge

First the background: A tattooer's work that I like so much is very famous - actually one of the greats. I don't really care about his fame, I just really like his style and color work. I do find a couple of tattooers in his shop acceptable, but not the others so much. I want a "laughing" dragon (which is probably not his tradition) intertwined with a phoenix. I probably wouldn't get in to see him for a couple of years, if then, but I might get into one of the others in his shop that I like.

My question - is it impolite to inquire about the kind of tattoo I want even if I think it is not his tradition, i.e. the laughing dragon? If he doesn't want to do it, is it impolite to list his shop tattooers that would be acceptable to me?

I love my current tattoos, but I'd really like an outstanding one for my arm.

Thanks,

What I would do is send him an email with what you want, if he's down to do it then great, if not then you consider other options. If it's someone from the same shop you decide on then just contact them, mentioning that you spoke to the other guy from their shop, but that you'd love them to take it on. I think the best thing is just to be as open, honest and respecful as possible, as long as you follow that rule of thumb you can't go far wrong!

Good luck, sounds like a cool idea man.

If you ultimately desire to be tattooed by <famous> tattooer...shoot them an email and be prepared to wait. Be polite, clear and concise on what you want, demonstrate you are serious. No need to disclose who your Plan B artists are at the shop at this point. I'd wait to see what (and perhaps if) you get a response. If you get turned down or don't want to wait, then you could ask for a recommendation of his colleagues.

I waited patiently for 2 years to get my back started by my tattooer. I kept in contact every few months after he said he was into the project. Eventually got measured up. And then suddenly it was "we can start next Tuesday or Thursday". He's in high demand and has the luxury of choosing the projects that are up his alley. But I'm sure he gets bombarded by emails. So be patient. Good things come to those who wait...