Tattoo Fan and Publisher of Badass Digital Tattoo Magazine

MollyO

Hey Everyone:

Glad to have found this forum! My name is Molly and I live in LA. I am a huge fan of tattoos and a publisher of a 3D digital tattoo magazine called Art and Skin. It's totally free in the app store so I'm not trying to sell anyone anything. I do think people here would really enjoy it and we'd love to get the word out. It features incredible work from some amazing artists all mixed with our 3D capture tech. It's pretty badass. Look forward to checking out the community here. <3

Hi, Molly. Welcome!

Your photos here are a bit dark - I'd suggest less processing and more light. 3d is a great idea for viewing tattoos, but most tattoo lovers want to see an honest representation, I believe. If your system can do that and give a great view of the art, you may have a hit. Otherwise, let me suggest you push it on Pinterest and Instagram where most things are prettied up anyway. Also, too bad your app is Apple only.

BTW, do you have any tattoos yourself?

HI Molly - Welcome! I'm confused about what the 3D is. Is this just technology to take a 3d capture of someone so you can use controls to move them around in space to be able to see any side of the body you want? Or is this some type of enhancement?

I admit, it would be cool to see around the "edges" of a large tattoo without seeing it in piece pasted together in panels or a sequence of pictures.

Hey everyone. Thanks for the welcome and the notes. You're feedback is incredibly helpful...First off, yes I have one small tattoo and am scheduled to start a large back/side piece in February. I have also been obsessed with head tattoos for as long as I can remember. So that's another project for next year...

Seesea: In terms of the 3D technology, it's a camera rig with about 80 cameras all the way around that all fire at the same time. The quick explanation is that all the images come together to construct a photo real 3D model that you can rotate. It's really awesome to be able to see the true flow of a tattoo and not have to piece it together in images, like you said.

pidjones: again thanks for the feedback Those are actually renders of 3D models not photographs. So we could actually process a photograph with any lighting and from any angle. I agree that an android version would be great. And hopefully that's something we can do at some point.

Thanks again guys!

M

Hey Graeme. Thanks! I know, Eddy doesn't usually do any kind of press and it wound up being a fantastic feature. We actually also 3D captured and printed his son. He was psyched. Anyway, thanks again for the kind words. And hopefully you can check it out when you update your phone ;)

And pidjones: nominate away! Eventually we hope to capture everyone who wants to show off their tattoos this way.