New member from Norway - wants advise on cover up tattoo

maggielocks

Hello.

I got my first two tattoos aged 18. And I was disappointed with them more or less from the start as they weren't thought through. I just wanted tattoos – and basically got the first one on my birthday, and the second one a few months later. Now, 15 years later I want to get more tattoos, and the first thing I’m going to do is to cover up the two I’ve got.

I’ve spoken to the shop where I want to have it done – and they recommend using roses. At first I was a bit reluctant, but according to them that is the best solution.

See the attached photos – any advice and opinion would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Maggie

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, they're both on the same arm...

I sort of had similar thoughts. These tattoos aren't bad and they have been with you for a long time. If you really want them covered up work with an artist and have them covered up. Roses are cool and it's great to take advice from the person doing the work but if you're not feeling roses work with them to identify other options.

That said, maybe consider sprucing them up with some bright designs around and near them that leave the original work but maybe you like the overall design/result better.

Ultimately, do what you want and have a tattoo that makes you happy but I agree with the above comments- covering them up is not the only option worth considering.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The signs are definitly going away. Not that I think that they're downright ugly. It's just that they've never felt like a part of me, they do not in any way represent my personality, and I am actually tired of answeing everyone's questions about their meaning ...

It's not that I'm opposing roses, and after looking at various rose tattoos, it's growing on me. So I'll see what I'll do. My biggest fear is to end up with just another tattoo that I don't like ... :-/

although the first thing you want to do is cover up your old tattoos, you also mentioned that you want to get more tattoos. (just what we LSTers love to hear!)

how much coverage are you planning to go for?! if you're thinking sleeves, you might want to think of the bigger picture and how these cover ups will work with the rest of your arm. if you go big from the get go, it could potentially open up a world of options for your artist to cover the existing pieces.

Agreed with @Hands On here. If you were to think of, say, Japanese sleeves I'd imagine that you would have a lot of options for a coverup. Chrysanthemums and wind bars, for example, could be really nice, and the coverup would be part of a much larger tattoo, it wouldn't draw attention to the coverup in the same way that stand alone roses would.

Thanks for all your great feedback, guys. I like that rose cuff :) Not going for a full sleeve, but would not mind the tattoo being pretty big. But don’t want to cover lower arm completely.

Iwar: I’m located in Bergen, and I’ve read the terms and conditions :) My tattoo appointment is on Thursday! Yay!