Just made my first appointment

guacamole

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a while after deciding to get a tattoo and I just scheduled some time with Tony Talbert at Golden Monkey in Fredericksburg, VA. I'm planning on getting a eagle; half as a memorial piece and half because I think they look bad ass. I'm not quite sold yet on where on my body I'd like to get it, so I'm open to opinions about optimal placement or other advice.

Do you like them with wings out or folded? Fighting, on a flag, with something clutched in talons?

Don't put a dinky one in a big open area.

I was thinking either diving or wings spread. I debated for a while about going for the battle royal but decided against it. Does it make sense to leave the talons open in case I decide to add something in there later?

Hello and welcome @guacamole!

An eagle is a solid choice for a first tattoo. Your tattooer should have some good recommendations for the placement of whatever design he comes up with. Upper arms are always a good place to start. It's pretty easy to heal, not a super painful place to get tattooed, won't destroy any future employment options and you get to look at it.

My first one was on my back. While I wouldn't trade it for anything:

1) It made it complicated to design a full backpiece which is something I am now interested in pursuing

2) I NEVER get to see it. When I got my second one (on my arm years after) it was like having a tattoo for the first time. It sounds silly but I highly recommend getting your first one someplace you can see it. It's just more fun to see it and obsess on how freaking cool it is! :D

Also, for the sake of detail and having an impactful tattoo, don't be afraid to go a little larger than you think, maybe.

Be sure to post some pics! Good luck, have fun and again, welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
He does awesome work. One of my best friends gave us all Leatherman multi-tools as groomsmen gifts, and Tony had one on some of his flash. We all said we were going to get em, but have yet to make it down to him.

Maybe I'll tag along on that trip, lol. I've been wanting that as a tattoo as well. I also gave all my groomsmen Leatherman tools as gifts for my wedding.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a while after deciding to get a tattoo and I just scheduled some time with Tony Talbert at Golden Monkey in Fredericksburg, VA. I'm planning on getting a eagle; half as a memorial piece and half because I think they look bad ass. I'm not quite sold yet on where on my body I'd like to get it, so I'm open to opinions about optimal placement or other advice.

yea i completely agree, as the most important part of the head (besides the head) is the wingspan and you want to show that. so having it across the chest or back is always good.