ingrown hairs / red spots

sketchin

So after about a week and a half after my calf tattoo i started to get some ingrown hairs, now i put this down to the fact that my leg had just been shaved and i didn't ex-foliate it before hand (new to tattoos). I accepted this but they're not just localised in that area where the hair was shaved, they're up on my knee some are ingrown hairs others a just little red spots, some of them kinda hurt and have gotten a bit of white puss in them.

Should i be worried? I used bepanthen to moisture the tattoo for the first week or so then when they came up i did a little googling didn't find much a part from some say A&D creams can do this so i switched to coco-butter. They're still there and have started getting dark red around them. I have a pretty pale leg so they look quite bad.

Anyone have any ideas what i can do and why these have come up?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a something I'd like to add yet ask as well. I've had my back done and I used tattoo goo with no problem healed wonderfully. I started a leg sleeve back in the fall of 2014, used A&D and had a TERRIBLE ingrown hair, next part of it, thought I used too much so I lessened it. Then went on to my next session and instead I used aquaphor and euccerin daily replenishing lotion, happened again but it wasn't as bad, I'm getting just a whole bunch of white heads.. I guess.. At the base of a hair follicle it's a white head/infected. I can't have this happen every time I get work done.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like foliculitis.

I had that before when I had my legged tattooed.

I just had epsom salt baths and dry healed.

I would refrain from using any cream or lotion, likely making things worse.

I had this happen to me on my ditch tattoo. My doctor told me to stop using lotions, as this was most likely the cause. It cleared up slowly after I turned to dry healing.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point, I wasn't clear. Dry healing for the first few weeks and then epsom after for lingering spots ( I found that the dots lingered) but I am pretty sure you could also soak a wash cloth in warm water with epsom and get a lot of the same benefits without the soaking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...