Artist asking artists

Luke Circa

Hi guys! So im currently studying to get my bachelor of fine arts, and then planning to go into a more specific area such as game design or concept design for films, and in the future I would love to become an art director. In lots of corperate jobs like lawyers and such, there is a concern for tattoos visible in the workspace. Should I be concerned as well? I want to look professional and I would never forgive myself if I missed a big opprotunity because someone didnt approve of tattoos. So my question is...is it bad to have tattoos visible in the workspace if you work in a creative field? Is it more accepted because your already in an artistic division or is it important to cover them up as it is with any other corperate job? Please let me know, I would love to get a full sleeve but im a little unsure of how it will effect my future!

Every workplace has its own dress code and guidelines. Looking at the big picture, it may be wise to hold off on getting heavily tattooed until you establish yourself in your career. Chances are, you will work for many different companies until you find yourself. Are you willing to wear long-sleeved shirts for the entire time you are at X company? Will you be dealing with external clients that may (right or wrong) pass judgment on your company because of the tattoos you have?

Welcome Luke!

I want to look professional and I would never forgive myself if I missed a big opprotunity because someone didnt approve of tattoos.

If this is really how you feel, tattoos may not be for you. Workplaces and workplace cultures will vary, and while I'd expect that tattoos would be accepted in most so-called creative environments, things always change, and what's acceptable now may not be so acceptable ten years down the line. If you want to get tattooed, you have to be okay with that and be willing to deal with the potential consequences of being tattooed, and if career advancement is more important to you than tattoos, wait on it, think about it, and don't get tattooed until you're ready for it.

well probably best to start from the covered areas on out - go chest or upper arm or thigh - plenty of areas to start with that will be typically covered in a workplace environment

i would love to go on my lower arm areas but i have concerns as well working in a school environment (I hate / never wear long sleeve shirts)

havent ruled it out the placement though for future ink

but in the meantime - i got plenty of space to play with

i'll worry about it more once i've heabily covered the other areas

anyway - good luck

I work in a creative industry and many of the people I work with have large tattoos. Sometimes I think it makes us look the part of "hip creative types" to our clients.

Even so, I'm glad I waited until I had a job out of school and built up experience before getting tattoos in an easily visible location. Make sure you can provide for yourself before you limit your job options. You can always start with a thigh or chest tattoo and work on a sleeve later.

There is a lot of skin that is exposed with casual clothing, but covered with "work" clothing, and skin that is usually covered except at the beach that you can tattoo regardless of your profession. Visible tattoos are not always ok, even in "casual" work situations, but it can vary widely.

I used to work closely with a corporate art department. Some of the artists had visible tattoos, some had covert tattoos, and some had no tattoos. It was not a barrier to their jobs in the art department, but they may not have moved into client facing sales or convention positions because of them. To be quite honest, the woman with hand tattoos and a full back piece had no interest in client facing work at all, so it was not a barrier to her.

Thank you all SO much for your advice! Being new to this website and forum I was unsure if I would get any feedback, but you guys have all been a huge help! I will take all of your advice into consideration. :) thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

As an outsider, but with a "creative" significant other, I see many people working in creative fields who have clearly visible tattoos. However, and I hope this doesn't sound too rude, spelling and grammar will be important in all professional areas.

Its not rude to suggest! But do not worry! The minimal time and effort I put into a forum question does not reflect the amount of caution I take for spelling and grammar in my work.

there is nothing that can't be covered with a long sleeve shirt and pants, with the exceptions of hands, neck, face. For a woman, this may be different, but for a guy, I see no reason to stop at the elbows with the invention of long sleeve shirts. Their cloaking abilities are legendary.