Blank canvas looking for design help

Alessandra Doernte

I'm a new member so here goes :) I'm a tattoo virgin right now but I'm looking to change that in the next six to eight months. I'm a nursing student at a small college in Kentucky. I'm 22 years old and have a passion for all things adrenaline. I got married over this past summer and I'd like to get a tattoo to commemorate our first anniversary. I'm looking for someone to help me design/give advice on it. I want a Phoenix (three to six inches tall) on the front of my hip. Now here's the part that I want help with, I want my husbands initials (LAD) incorporated into it somehow. There's a lot of meaning behind this for me so Id really appreciate the help. I was in a car accident in 2012. I broke 19 bones and they told me I'd never walk again. My husband was there for me through all of the surgeries and physical therapy to help me learn to walk again. He is my rock and helps me rise above everything, hense the Phoenix. I'm open to all styles and any input!

Alessandra Belle

Welcome Alessandra! I really like the idea of a phoenix tattoo as it has potent symbolism and is a strong, beautiful image. That said, three to six inches tall is too small to do much justice to the idea: when I think of the phoenix tattoos I've seen that I've really loved, what makes them really work is both the way that the shape of the phoenix, especially the tail feathers, flows with the body; I also love the different contrasting patterns in the body, wings, tail, and head. You need space to make that work. I'd also advise against incorporating initials into the tattoo, for the simple reason that I've never seen a tattoo improved by adding initials or anything like that. Tattoos are by themselves meaningful without needing to shoehorn in any additional meaning.

Another new poster here is planning on getting tattooed at Carter's Tattoo Company in Bowling Green, KY and it looks like they do really nice tattoos there.

Thumbs up on the Phoenix! Awesome imagery for what you're trying to convey. Yeah, and bigger. You want to see the detail on those features and flames.

If you don't mind me saying, it seems like you are mixing emotional elements here. You want the Phoenix to symbolize all you've been through - rising from the ashes/accident, but you've mentioned commemorating an anniversary. Granted, it sounds like your guy is pretty awesome to have been there with you, but in my very insignificant opinion, the Phoenix is for you. Period. Regardless who was there to help you, you did this huge thing. I would not wrap anyone else up in that concept - keep the Phoenix for you.

Now, if you want to commemorate the relationship and show your husband how important he is to you, maybe create another tattoo that incorporates something positive about what the two of you share, that is not related to pain and the accident. Perhaps something forward-looking to represent the new relationship that you share. Maybe you both get the same tattoo, etc.

Congratulations on all you have accomplished!

All excellent advice in here (as usual). Might I suggest the thigh for placement of the (bigger) tattoo? Gives loads of space for the artist to work in, is near your original placement idea, and is very easily covered (if that's important to you). Welcome to LST!

Thanks so much for all the input! I'm overwhelmed by just how many responses I got :) I agree with the idea that it would be better if it was bigger. I'd thought about doing something more along the lines of a tribal or just line style drawing to keep it from being cluttered with details.

- - - Updated - - -

asuii.jpg

Would something like this work at that size?

Yeah, tribal is outdated and an awesome piece of art is always awesome. If you symbolize it, then it is just a symbol rather than the animal. Do you want it or a symbol of it? Only you can answer that. But if tribal is what you want, then do that but look at other stuff first and talk to an artist.

Now what you put up there looks more like a peacock. For what you put, 3 inches will never work - blob. It would have to be more than 6 inches IMO if you do it tribal but I don't think you'll like it years from now. Print out that example in black and white, tape it to your hip, stand 6 or 8 feet back from a mirror and look at it. It's going to look blobby and unreadable.

We're not trying to beat you up. Just want you to get a great tattoo.

Here is the answer - print out some stuff and go to a good tattoo artist. Get a name here. Tell them what you are looking for and ask them to help you design something. Friends don't let friends get tribal, lol.

I just googled phoenix tattoo. UGH. So many stylized black ugly things. Google sucks. Don't look at those black and white designs - look at tattoos that are actually ON people and get an idea what those tribal things really look like on your body. Ugh, horrible. I hesitate to tell you to look at Pinterest - but just don't look at the stuff that isn't actually on people.

If you really don't want to go large enough to get a realistic Phoenix, then you could get something stylized but with enough detail that it represents it without looking dated. I think this is cool and is on her hip. And this is the only one I could find that IMO looks good at a smaller size and would look good on a hip.

6060242_f260.jpg

This next picture looks like what you are suggesting. Stand back several feet and try to figure out what it is. I think these small black things look sad. A Phoenix RISES! RISES! Needs ROOM to SPREAD WINGS and FLY!! :) :) :)

2757164354_1.jpg

If you really want that tribal look, it has to be bigger. I don't care for this, but you'd need to go larger to give it room to breathe and be readable.

phoenix-tattoo.jpg

Good luck!

The only way that I would add the initials would be like Hugh Haynie used to put "Lois" (his wife's name) in each of his editorial cartoons. If you are from Kentucky, you should be able to find references to that locally - he worked for the Courier Journal. Check under Nixson's left eye - this was actually one of his more blatant ones. It was always fun to try and find it.

http://www.fraziermuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Hugh-Haynie-Nixon.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey first, good idea on the tattoo and good luck with it. I was thinking you should get color and with the design check this out, Phoenix Tattoo by Cain001 on DeviantArt With this design I would have 19 tails coming out from the bottom. With the initials (LAD) they can be subtlety placed in or on the wing of the Phoenix. Placement wise i would go with like the side on the ribs or the back. If you were to put it on the hip i suggest to put it on the back side of the hit, its just an easier place to work with. Good luck and you have to post some pictures when its all done :)

Good luck with your first tattoo. I would skip the initials as the imagery represents what it means for you. I would also go with a Japanese traditional style in a larger size, maybe 12" inches at least. Take your time researching a great artist, and don't let cost drive you selection of an artist.