Emotional states

xcom

I imagine it probably does. I am not a tattoo artist, but I am an artist in other mediums. The best art I have created is when the emotion really strikes me - I can see the beauty in my mind's eye and it compels me to capture the best image, sometimes to the annoyance of those around me. I think life's experiences really drive the quality of your art. We are not robots. I've done some great work when I was pissed off at something else and could use the escape of creativity. Just because someone is in a bad mood, etc., before coming to work does not mean the quality of the work suffers.

There are great doctors in the world and not so great ones. Are the not so great ones in a bad mood? Lacking good training? (What do you call a graduating med student with a D average? "Doctor")

There are people who write great software and those who don't. Why does voice recognition on my phone work a hell of a lot better than the VR in my car. Talent? Mood?

Everyone comes to work in different moods, but the best know what to do when they walk in the door each day. So what do you do? Get recommendations for a great artist and look at their portfolio. Just like anyone else, their reputation reflects their ability to do quality work while existing as a human in the real world.

I understand why you are asking this question, but I read it as a little insulting. You are asking tattoo artists to reply - what are you expecting them to say, "Yeah, when I get into a fight with my significant other, I just can't tattoo clean lines and my shading sucks"? Or, "Call the shop the day of your tattoo and ask if I am in a good mood."?

I understand why you are asking this question, but I read it as a little insulting. You are asking tattoo artists to reply - what are you expecting them to say, "Yeah, when I get into a fight with my significant other, I just can't tattoo clean lines and my shading sucks"? Or, "Call the shop the day of your tattoo and ask if I am in a good mood."?

SeeSea,

Thanks for your reply. Your analogies are well put. I meant no harm. I have a passion for tattoo art, and some times as my posted question "I wonder" how does the mood influence one artists... I was not trying to insult anybody but just trying to understand...

The problem in my area at least the one I have experience is that the shops wont have consistency and I have to shop for a new place to get work from... This sucks and gets me nervous... So my brain starts do its job on feeding me fear :P and questions like the one posted above comes up in my head from time to time...

Thanks again.

Understood. It's natural to feel that anxiety to change something about yourself permanently and you are not alone in that feeling. I don't recall if you asked elsewhere, but get some recommendations from folks here about places in your areas. That should alleviate things for you. Good luck.

I imagine it probably does...

...Everyone comes to work in different moods, but the best know what to do when they walk in the door each day.

^this basically sums it up.^

there is a lot of energy being transferred in tattooing, which plenty of us who have been tattooed in different settings can attest. tattooers can get energy from the rest of the shop, convention, music, overall environment, definitely from the client and it transfers in all directions. good artists know how to get into the zen motions of tattooing and put on quality work no matter the situation.

however, their emotional state obviously impacts their energy, which can dictate the energy of the entire session, if no other forces alter it. a great part of tattooing is that, as the client, you can be the positive force to alter the energy! a shitty part is, you can also be the negative force, knowingly or unknowingly! hahahhahaa. shitty clients can definitely put a tattooer in a bummer mood if they let it. tattooing is a collaboration and there's definitely chemistry to it. although a good artist might not let the work suffer from bad energy, the experience could definitely suffer... and the experience is a huge part of tattooing. it stays with you as much as the art! I think the best tattooers understand that and strive to ensure that the client has a good experience to go along with their highest quality of work.