Trying to zone out

xcom

The more I get tattooed the more I find out that I really don't care for my surroundings while I am getting ink... Unless the artists talk to me I just want to zone out and block everything around me. Music helps me accomplish this.

I know exactly what you are talking about.... Very painful area... I cant begin to describe so many parts of the back that are just way sensitive. :eek:

My music is okay, but the shop plays their ipod. It always seems to play something totally jarring when I am at my worst during the session... gets louder although nobody has turned it it.

At that point I don't care if the artist is doing portraits of Nixon on me.

The more I get tattooed the more I find out that I really don't care for my surroundings while I am getting ink... Unless the artists talk to me I just want to zone out and block everything around me. Music helps me accomplish this.

You don't get bored just zoning out?

I try not to talk too much to my tattoo artist as I want him to focus on his work. I bring Advil and I just let the pain zone me out. The sound of the machine is kinda relaxing. Usually getting a tattoo is a exhausting day and during the session I do get a bit tired and it helps me close my eyes. But I was never able to really sleep. Maybe a needle puncturing my skin ruthlessly has something to do with it.

I go into a deep mediation, think I've said this somewhere before. But, I find getting tattooed relaxing and mix that with mediation I fall asleep. But, I'm not normal :p

Though breathing is key. Regular, controlled breathing.

@purplelace do you start your meditation before you begin or once the needle has already started? And if you start meditating before, how long does it take for you to get into it before the tattooing actually starts? I really want to use my back piece as a chance to enhance my meditation and use the meditation to accept the pain and keep me relaxed.

I start when walking to the tattooists. I get into a deeper state when am waiting for him to arrive/be ready, so by the time he's ready to start tattooing me, I'm already more than half way to a deep meditative state. Which is why I fall asleep getting tattooed. Good luck and I hope it works for you :)

I've been meditating for nearly 30years, I can slip into it quite quickly.

If you're lying on your side and being blasted, it's amazing how just placing a pillow between your thighs can help.

Total comfort is necessary for long & painful sittings.

yep I learned my lesson... I am taking a pillow to my next session. I thought I was all covered... Small cooler with water/oj/ice, snacks for the break, etc...

Boy was I wrong... I was missing a damn pillow.

Wooha!

Today I did 6 and 1/2 hours. Did very well with the pillow!

Shop was quiet. I had good music, machines where turning and ink was splattering!

Over all the best session I had so far.

I was able to meditate and do some heavy concentration. :D

I have a mantra of sorts that I repeat in my head during the tough spots: "Pain is just intense physical sensation." Helps remind my brain I'm not actually in danger and puts everything in perspective. So far, I've only hit a couple really bad spots, most of it was manageable. We'll see how effective it is when I finally hit the notoriously bad spots. :D I've also found lining is like 10 times worse than shading, so sometimes just thinking "Soon we'll be doing the shading and it's smooth sailing from there..." is motivational.