New girl from NY here!

sweetling

Hey, I'm Sara from New York and I'm new here (obviously)! I was into piercings for years before I caved and got my first tattoo (Latin text on wrists), and I'm looking forward to getting many more. I actually found this forum on Google while I was looking for a place to ask for tattoo advice, and while I initially wasn't interested in joining for any reason other than to get an answer to my question, I think I'm actually going to stick around. I really like the idea of being able to talk to other people who love tattoos - most of my friends think tattoos can be cool but would never get one themselves (that's Long Island for you), so I think it'll be nice to talk to other tattoo-minded people.

So...yeah! I guess that's about it. Look for me around the forums.

Also look at Lotus Tattoo as well. Plus Kings Ave and DaVinci. Welcome and ask us any questions you like. If you have anything specific, also, let us know, we can guide you in the right direction. I love getting tattooed in Manhattan and Brooklyn when I am up there. Which will actually be for the opening @gougetheeyes, ooof, I really need to finish this painting.

Well, I'm currently considering getting some work done at a place called Red Baron Ink in the city. I'm really impressed by his portfolio (it's mainly one guy, with two beginning tattoists who do smaller pieces) but I'm a little concerned because he hasn't been tattooing for that long...seven years, I believe. Do you think that's a legit reason to be concerned, or am I just being overly cautious?

Well, I'm currently considering getting some work done at a place called Red Baron Ink in the city. I'm really impressed by his portfolio (it's mainly one guy, with two beginning tattoists who do smaller pieces) but I'm a little concerned because he hasn't been tattooing for that long...seven years, I believe. Do you think that's a legit reason to be concerned, or am I just being overly cautious?

7 years is not a beginner. I have 2 tattoos by artists with 7 yrs experience and another with 4 yrs experience. They all look great to me.

What kind of tattoo are you looking to get ?

Wow guys, the info I'm getting from you is so much appreciated. You're way better at this "help me choose an artist" thing than my stupid boyfriend is (it's not his fault, he's just inexperienced with tattoos). Why the hell didn't I join sooner?!

The tattoo I'm looking to get is an owl with blossoming dogwood branches on my upper arm/shoulder, full color.

Thanks for all the info and recommendations! I'm going to check out all the places that have been mentioned. Just wondering - how do you guys know all these shops in NYC do good work? Have you gotten work done there, or know someone who has, or do they just have really good rapport in the tattoo community in general? I ask because up until I joined the forum I pretty much relied on Yelp reviews and the like to determine which shops to look into.

A few months ago I stumbled across Kings Ave's website and was really interested in getting work done by Justin Weatherholtz, and I was told his rate is $275/hour. That was way more expensive then I'd been expecting - even in the city, that's pricey - so I was really disappointed and figured I'd have to find someone else. $200/hour I'm totally fine with...but considering I'm not exactly rolling in dough, he's kind of out of my price range.

Like @daveborjes said, go to Fun City. Or Adorned. Or Bound For Glory. Or Saved. Or Kings Ave. Or Lotus. Or Red Rocket. Or Fine Line. Or R&D. Or Invisible. Or Flyrite. Or one of the many awesome shops. There are too many amazing shops in NYC for you to get a mediocre tattoo.

Agreed.

I say just go to Kings Ave.

- - - Updated - - -

Good tattoos ain't cheap. Cheap tattoos ain't good.

Save money. Get the best. It'll be on you FOREVER.

Thanks for all the info and recommendations! I'm going to check out all the places that have been mentioned. Just wondering - how do you guys know all these shops in NYC do good work? Have you gotten work done there, or know someone who has, or do they just have really good rapport in the tattoo community in general? I ask because up until I joined the forum I pretty much relied on Yelp reviews and the like to determine which shops to look into.

A few months ago I stumbled across Kings Ave's website and was really interested in getting work done by Justin Weatherholtz, and I was told his rate is $275/hour. That was way more expensive then I'd been expecting - even in the city, that's pricey - so I was really disappointed and figured I'd have to find someone else. $200/hour I'm totally fine with...but considering I'm not exactly rolling in dough, he's kind of out of my price range.

The shops that were recommended are well known in the city for being reputable shops that do good work.A lot of people on here have been tattooed at Kings Ave,Invisible,NY Adorned,Daredevil,Three Kings,Red Rocket.But in Manhattan you can find good tattooers who don't work at the better shops,but still do real nice work..These two are good examples...

Instagram

Instagram

It's not all about the hourly rate. Some artist tattoo faster than others. So while 200/hour seems cheaper it may be the same or even more if the tattooer is on the slow side. Btw Justin is a great choice. Also Rose Hardy would kill that tattoo.

You can't go wrong with anyone in KA. Totally recommend that shop!!! Awesome artist and extremely well run.

I hear you about not rolling in the dough but... it's not like you'll have to pay everything upfront and probably that tattoo will take several sessions. Plus you will be totally happy with what you get..

Welcome from a fellow Long Islander and a kings ave victim :)

Save up and get exactly what you want nothing is a race and you don't have to meet a deadline.

Some people on these forums have planned tattoos for quite some time.

Heed the advice of the people on this board I know I have learned a lot reading their suggestions

I would change that price range.... Artists like those at Kings Ave charge that much because they are worth it. You could end up paying that lesser amount but the talent could possible be much less then the 75.00 difference. You should wait and save the money you need to get what you want. Your skin isn't going anywhere and you will have whatever tattoo you get for a LONG TIME!