New girl from NY here!

sweetling

All right guys, you've convinced me that money is no object. There is just one more thing (I think...I hope...) I want to check with you guys before making a final decision. I'm not sure the tattoo I'm looking to get is really Justin's style. I'm looking to get a semi-realistic to realistic (read: not too cutesy or cartoony) owl in a bright color like blue or orange (think red phase eastern screech owl), which I realize may not be up everyone's alley (not only because it's an owl, which I guess is pretty overdone at this point, but also because it would seem some artists are averse to mixing realism and color). I'm worried that I'd make an appointment with Justin and wait till September (since the consultation doesn't happen until only a few weeks prior to the initial tattoo date) just to be told that he doesn't do that kind of tattoo and I'll have to take my business elsewhere. Is that a legit concern? Or do you think Justin is versatile enough that he'd be cool with that?

All right guys, you've convinced me that money is no object. There is just one more thing (I think...I hope...) I want to check with you guys before making a final decision. I'm not sure the tattoo I'm looking to get is really Justin's style. I'm looking to get a semi-realistic to realistic (read: not too cutesy or cartoony) owl in a bright color like blue or orange (think red phase eastern screech owl), which I realize may not be up everyone's alley (not only because it's an owl, which I guess is pretty overdone at this point, but also because it would seem some artists are averse to mixing realism and color). I'm worried that I'd make an appointment with Justin and wait till September (since the consultation doesn't happen until only a few weeks prior to the initial tattoo date) just to be told that he doesn't do that kind of tattoo and I'll have to take my business elsewhere. Is that a legit concern? Or do you think Justin is versatile enough that he'd be cool with that?

Great choice!! I hardly see anyone really take peoples advice lately and go with the cheaper option. Trust me you will not regret it later on if you decide to get more work. Also try not to over analyze it too much.

If you are looking for realism then Justin or Matt Bagwell are the best choices. Both of them are on instagram.

As far as color realism there are not many artist in NYC that can do that well but depends what exactly you are looking for. Something like Nikko Hurtado?

FWI they would tell you upfront if Justin couldn't or didn't do that style . In any case check out xskinny on instagram also.

Weatherholtz is a great tattooer and he can do just about anything. You won't be sorry! And to top it all off, he's a super nice dude with a really positive attitude. As far as the, "How did you guys know these places are good shops?" it just comes from looking at thousands of tattoos, getting thousands of tattoos (collectively) and being exposed to situations where you can see tattoos in person. Just keep researching, keep looking and learning, and go visit shops and get tattooed. And disregard Yelp entirely.

After a while there will be a moment when you say something like, "Wow, those lines are so clean, and I love those little tips of purple he snuck into those leaves." And you'll probably think, "Huh. Where'd I learn to look for THOSE things?"

I'll just echo everything everyone said. Justin is a great choice for that, and every time I've met him there he's been the nicest dude imaginable. After finishing up my arm and having a baby, I think my tattoo budget will be pretty slim, but I'd love to get tattooed by him someday.

I can't personally speak for the LI shop, but the shop guy at the NYC location is super helpful and would able to address your concerns up front. Just be honest and upfront with what you want and your expectations, then see how they line up with availability and interest of the artists. You won't be disappointed.