New old guy

IowaMercMan

Hi all. Joining the site after lurking for a bit.

I am learning and researching for my first tattoo. I have some ideas and know what I like....also very aware that I know little. I am highly aware how easy it is to get a bad or mediocre tattoo. So I'm here to learn! I want to make a thoughtful and meaningful choice for my first tatto and artist. Not trying to over think it and I am realistic with my expectations (I am selective but not impossible to deal with). I am willing and able to pay for good work and also willing to travel for it (I live in a fairly rural area, but within 3-4 hours of Chicago or Minneapolis.)

I have wanted a tattoo and admired the good ones for many years. Two things have held me back from getting started: I detest bad, amateurish tattoos (and see a lot of them!). This site is helping a lot to resolve that fear. And I have been working in a very straightlaced, tight@$$ company, career and position. Plus my wife was dead set and rabidly against it. Well, F that.

Not starting out with grand plans for a sleeve or suit. I just want to get a nice first tattoo and go from there.

I like old school and Japanese styles the best.

Last thing is, I am 50 years old. My skin is in decent shape, I suppose. Interested in feedback on challenges that old skin might represent. Hey if I blew it by waiting too long, I know I can get straight talk here.

Looking forward to learning from all the knowledgeable people here.

Welcome and have fun. I will be interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts on your 50 year old skin but my uneducated thought/hope is that it won't be a problem.

My wife and I had a really nice experience at Great Lakes Tattoo and Chicago is always a good time. There is no doubt you can get a great tattoo at Aloha Monkey in Minnesota. I also love Leviticus Tattoo in Minneapolis which has multiple quality artists and a huge indoor Koi pond which is pretty cool.

Go to wherever you believe you will have the most fun and get the tattoo you want. Have a great experience and then take advantage of all the wonderful food and drink options near these shops- hopefully you can at least get your wife on board for that part.

Welcome .... Pup!

Got my first at 61, 2nd and 3rd at 62. No problems. Age might make us a bit more discerning, and perhaps a bit less concerned about our bodies. I'll avoid anything on my legs and feet just because they became so varicose that it would hurt the art. My chest, shoulders, and arms have taken the ink beautifully - and I don't have to worry what they will look like 50 years from now! Luckily, the big multinational I work for has no problems with me having them, 'cause I'd hate to get fired with 3 years until retirement! The wife isn't over-joyed with them, but hasn't complained and seems to becoming attached to them slowly (tracing the one on my chest as we lay in bed last night was quite the turn-on). I personally have no firm plans for any more, but....

• 3 weeks later...

I really like Sam Yamini and Andy Canino's Japanese tattoos, they work at dedication tattoo on Broadway. As always I have to recommend checking out lifetime tattoo on Colfax, coolest shop. But... If I were to get a big Japanese tattoo in Colorado I would strongly consider Joel Long in Boulder, or of course Ishmael Johnson up in fort collins