The Last Tattooed Women of Kobane

I stumbled across this article this morning, about a photojournalist documenting a dying tattoo tradition in Syria. The photos are beautiful and I love learning about traditional tattoo practices in different cultures (I had no idea that there was a Kurdish tattoo culture!). I thought some of you nerds might find it interesting too!

The Last Tattooed Women of Kobane | PROOF

In another case, a woman clearly enjoyed hearing her husband recall how at first glance, he fell in love with his future wife. He found her and her tattoos to be beautiful. Fifty years later, as they share a cramped tent in a refugee camp, he still does.

Aww, this got me right in the heart. So sweet. Great read, @Pugilist.

This was really interesting! I didn't know facial tattoos were a tradition in Syria. But I am familiar with the facial tattoos of North Africa and they look very similar. So I figured there had to be a connection. I found this article about how North African facial tattooing might have originated in Iraq. It's a really interesting read. It's amazing that two regions separated by about 3000 miles share a tradition that was probably spread by gypsy nomads.

Algeria: Tattoos Provide L(ink) to Iraq*|*Yasmin Bendaas

• 3 weeks later...