Cartoonish? New skool?

xcom

So I see how allot of people here does not like "new skool" style.. The cartoonish type tattoo...

Is that something that's frowned upon in general by the tattoo community?

What is the difference between the "new skool" and the old skool?

Sorry for my n00bnes and all help is appreciated.

Regards,

-

I think people on here just appreciate good tattoos that will stand the test of time, basically tattoos that look like tattoos

Rikhall,

Thanks for your reply. But I am still confused on what is the difference... :confused:

How does one tell "this is not going to last"?

I am trying to learn. I am going all out on a piece I am working on and saw somebody comment that my artist is new skool to the point of cartoonish....Wish worried me a bit

honestly, I was a big fan of new school from way back. I was really drawn to Jesse Smith because I feel like he has a graffiti / Banksy/ Political theme behind it. Look up his Dumb Politician, Mentally Malnourished (my favorite), Corporate Consumption, etc. etc. I would absolutely let Smith do something like this on me, but the purple and pink caricature mermaid giraffe with big eyes shooting flames feel like they have an age limit/ expiration date on them.

I do not mean this in a derogatory way, I feel that as I have matured (left my 20's behind) I am less and less drawn to that style as a whole.

- - - Updated - - -

honestly, I was a big fan of new school from way back. I was really drawn to Jesse Smith because I feel like he has a graffiti / Banksy/ Political theme behind it. Look up his Dumb Politician, Mentally Malnourished (my favorite), Corporate Consumption, etc. etc. I would absolutely let Smith do something like this on me, but the purple and pink caricature mermaid giraffe with big eyes shooting flames feel like they have an age limit/ expiration date on them.

I do not mean this in a derogatory way, I feel that as I have matured (left my 20's behind) I am less and less drawn to that style as a whole.

I feel like they have an age limit/ expiration date on them.

I do not mean this in a derogatory way, I feel that as I have matured (left my 20's behind) I am less and less drawn to that style as a whole.I feel that as I have matured (left my 20's behind) I am less and less drawn to that style as a whole.

Images in tattoos don't always represent something, but I think how they're executed represents that period of the person's life (to some extent). So while I agree some styles age differently and may be more appealing to certain age groups, I wouldn't necessarily say that gives them an expiration date. If anything, I think these differences contribute to the overall timelessness of tattoos.

I have a mix opinion about this subject....

Yes a tattoo can have no meaning, In the other hand It can also mean something.... When I look at tattoos in a person I can somewhat read the type of person they are by the types/styles of tattoo's on their body....

I am one that is not too much in to the traditional tattoo's.... I like them but mostly not on me... Even when I got my first tattoo's way back when they where all tribal's though I am now covering up most of them :)

I like new skool but I do not like "cartoonish" types of tattoos.... I think this style describes who I am pretty well... I like colors and I like them to stand out.

I am collecting a new piece from a new artist on the 5th :)

Images in tattoos don't always represent something, but I think how they're executed represents that period of the person's life (to some extent). So while I agree some styles age differently and may be more appealing to certain age groups, I wouldn't necessarily say that gives them an expiration date. If anything, I think these differences contribute to the overall timelessness of tattoos.

I feel like certain tattoos and images speak very clearly to a decade/ time period/ or age. And while it may have nostalgia for me or others doesn't make it timeless.

Just how I feel, but who knows chrome tattoos may come back in style hard