Artists in High Demand

Kimmie

Recently, I've come across several artists who are in such high demand that they only accept new clients on a case by case basis. I know that giving artistic freedom, saying how long you've sat for, and mentioning artists you've gotten work from can all be beneficial. Have you guys discovered any other ways to make yourself more attractive as a potential client? Is there anything you make sure to include or avoid? Artists, is there anything that you look for?

PATIENCE.

Who do you think is going to get that appointment first?

The dude/dudette who is clear and articulate about what they want as the tattoo, has done their research and has an interesting idea, listens to the tattooers comments about how to approach the piece and follows the instructions, keeps brief and polite correspondence and *waits patiently*?

OR

The tatt-bro who emails and calls every week, being pushy and acting entitled to the tattoo. Actually, Tatt-bro doesn't even know what he wants, he just wants a big bad ass tattoo.

Good things come to those who wait :)

• 3 weeks later...
Emails and direct messages are a wasted. There are way too many tire kickers and time wasters on the web. I have found that after the web contact failed. I have found that going to their shop is the best way. That above all shows that you are serious. Most want to do consults before even scheduling an appt.

Good advice. Sometimes the person at the entrance screens people for the artist. What you want might not interest the artist, or they might have a long wait list and not take any new appointments for a while.

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2015 at 9:26 AM, Tornado6 said:

I continue to not fully get this. If you want total artistic control, don't art on human skin. There are lots of inanimate media. There aren't any tattoos I want that badly.

Ugh, I finally had this experience. I liked his work, so I asked about a project. He said yeah yeah I do my own thing, send a deposit via PayPal.

Nope. I can't give up a full arm to somebody who can't listen to my ideas as well. Or at least give me an inkling of his ideas before I send money.

Ugh, I finally had this experience. I liked his work, so I asked about a project. He said yeah yeah I do my own thing, send a deposit via PayPal.
Nope. I can't give up a full arm to somebody who can't listen to my ideas as well. Or at least give me an inkling of his ideas before I send money.

Is it possible he wants a deposit before discussing the design? If he's that busy I'm sure he doesn't want to spend a lot of time bullshitting/brainstorming tattoo ideas unless he's sure you're gonna book with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few local artists that have a waiting list that is 3 months or longer. These are the best of the best, at least what I like in a tattoo. Some shops have the front desk person, which you have to get past to even talk with the artist you like.

Show that you're serious and willing to be flexible. Every shop is run differently. Most require a deposit on artwork which is a commitment. Once you do book, find out if you can move up your date if someone cancels. Shops don't like down time.

14 hours ago, Colored Guy 2 said:

There are a few local artists that have a waiting list that is 3 months or longer. These are the best of the best, at least what I like in a tattoo. Some shops have the front desk person, which you have to get past to even talk with the artist you like.

Show that you're serious and willing to be flexible. Every shop is run differently. Most require a deposit on artwork which is a commitment. Once you do book, find out if you can move up your date if someone cancels. Shops don't like down time.

I was  on a 12 month waiting list after giving a deposit one time.

I gave the artist the basics of what I wanted,but I didn't know what the artwork looked like until I got to the shop a year later the day of the tattoo.

Edited by Dan

On 11/28/2016 at 8:53 AM, DJDeepFried said:

Is it possible he wants a deposit before discussing the design? If he's that busy I'm sure he doesn't want to spend a lot of time bullshitting/brainstorming tattoo ideas unless he's sure you're gonna book with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, but he's not that busy, since he's filling spots before the end of the year.

I was being  kind with my "blah blah" above. He was very uninterested in what I had to say, and he made it very clear.  I can't say he was very personable at the convention either. I'd rather get tattooed by a nice dude ?