Interpretation of Spider Webs on Foreheads - Upcoming Tat/Pic inside as reference

I'm actually getting this tattoo done this friday ( 2/6 ) and I am somewhat going back & forth on the spider web on the forehead. I looked it up and most says gang affilation or jail time while other things say drug addiction. The picture is of an artists interpration of Jesus in the Victorian Era. ( the sacred heart, the way his hand is ). Anyways I am extremely stoked about this piece but I just don't get the spider web part which can easily be omitted ( look wise I do like it ) but in all honesty I'd feel funny if someone asked me to explain a part of my tat and didn't have a solid explanation albeit the work is for me and not them. Anyways as I'm new on the scene ( this will be my 5th tat & got my 1st just last june ) and I figured I could get an answer here. Thanks for reading this & sharing your thoughts.

image.jpg

Thanks for chiming in. Graeme, I agree about the traditional Jesus and do have a plan for that down the road. misterJ it does remind me of Poe as well. A tell tale heart could easily be taken as the sacred heart. Opinions aside do either of you or anyone else have an idea of the original question re: the spider web? Thanks!

I agree that looks more like Poe than Jesus, in regards to your spider web concerns. Here in the UK, it means passage of time. The teardrop on face means they've killed someone. Though some people get a teardrop on face because they like the look of it. I wouldn't really worry about it. Don't think too much about it, it's a lovely design. Enjoy it x

I agree that looks more like Poe than Jesus, in regards to your spider web concerns. Here in the UK, it means passage of time. The teardrop on face means they've killed someone. Though some people get a teardrop on face because they like the look of it. I wouldn't really worry about it. Don't think too much about it, it's a lovely design. Enjoy it x

Thanks, the artist is from the UK so this really made sense and what I was looking for. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

well think of it this way...

if one day you do become a drug addicted gangster

you'll have already gotten the ink to cover that

edit: all kidding aside - i think its a cool piece - but man - you're the one wearing it

If 1 day I become a drug addicted gangster then you jinxed me!! haha jk thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

From what i know the spiderweb signifies that you have done/ are doing time. As for it being on jesus it would go along with that, because he did do time...on the cross. So in that regard it would work.

again makes sense. Thanks!

I would nix the tear drop and spiderweb...IMO it makes the design look goofy and will date the tattoo...non-sensical with theme of Victorian-JC...my opinion though. I echo @Graeme's sentiments about a strong traditional looking JC design...but it's your body, so if you like the design, you like the blue spiderweb, go for it. It can mean whatever you want and that meaning can change over time. It's your tattoo, so you own the meaning :)

Ice cream cone...the only design that gets a pass for tattoo on the face.

I received the tattoo so I figured I share a pic. Will re-post when it heals. Got it done on Friday night. This was taken at the shop. I was bigger then I expected but very glad with the size. Omitted the rays around the head and had an idea about a halo but I decided to leave off & revisit later if I change my mind. Thanks to all who shared thoughts/opinions etc whether you liked the idea or didn't. ( or whether you like the tat or not lol )

newtat.jpg

• 1 month later...