Hello. Thinking about getting first tattoo.

CaptainSparrow

Hey everyone.

I've been thinking about a tattoo for awhile and I think 2015 will finally be the year I get one. The tattoo I'm very much interested in would be a Firefighter tattoo. Something along the lines of a Skull with a fire helmet on the upper part of my right arm by the shoulder. The reason I'd like to have the tattoo is because I used to be a firefighter at a rescue squad; so I would like something to always remember it by.

The thing is I don't know anything about tattoos or diddily squat about any of it or how much it would cost so I'm gonna be browsing the forum and learning as much as I can. I do know that a reputable tattoo artist will be the hardest thing to come by. Hopefully I can find a thread on reputable tattoo artists by state (I am located close to Greenville, SC). I have some ideas on what I want for the tattoo, but not exactly sure how to bring it all together to something I'd like. I want something that looks amazing... from a great artist.

I'll attach some pictures I found on google images, they're all wildly different but it goes to show where my frame of thought is right now. I was thinking a flaming skull wearing a fire helmet with a maltese cross surrounding it. I'll figure this out eventually! lol

Anyway, thanks for having me. I'll try not to be a huge n00b. =P

Thanks for the recommendations Joe! Honor and glory tattoo is actually pretty close by so I may check them out once I get a better idea on what I want done. I agree on making the skull bigger. I'm even thinking about making it with black ink only (at least for the most part) I don't want it to be flashy.. I'll have to talk with the artist about that I suppose.

Ducky the main style I'm looking for is a Skull with a fire helmet. Maybe even a maltese cross behind it as in the third picture, but that's still a toss up.

El twe I don't understand what you mean by that. lol

The subject matter for your tattoo is awesome! Skulls and fire make for great tattoos, but I would suggest skipping the google image searches for now, and instead concentrate on finding the right man or woman for the job. When you find a tattooer whose work you like, get in touch, present your idea, try to have an open mind and be a little flexible if they have any advice or input on your design, then let him or her do their thing. That's usually a good recipe for an awesome tattoo.

If you like the look of bold, traditional tattoos, this looks like a nice shop with a solid team of tattooers: HERO TATTOO - Home

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Congratulations on pursuing your first tattoo! Very exciting! :D

I agree with @Iwar. Put all of your current energy into looking at tattooers and finding someone with a good, solid style that you like. Maybe as you are looking at their stuff pay special attention to how they do skulls and if their approach appeals to you.

Most newbies (actually A LOT of people) over think the design. I promise you that you can not think of a cooler tattoo design than someone who has devoted their life's work to doing it and doing it well/right.

Once you find someone you dig, you already have the perfect thing to tell them without having to pull up a bunch of google images.

The tattoo I'm very much interested in would be a Firefighter tattoo. Something along the lines of a Skull with a fire helmet on the upper part of my right arm by the shoulder. The reason I'd like to have the tattoo is because I used to be a firefighter at a rescue squad; so I would like something to always remember it by....I was thinking a flaming skull wearing a fire helmet with a maltese cross surrounding it.

BOOM! I think that is just perfect! That is also the benefit of choosing an artist that already represents a style that you like and skulls you think are cool.

The very best tattoos/favorite tattoos of mine have all come about this way...a great tattooer, the elements and location I want (with just a little bit of the why) and their expertise in pulling together a final design rendered in their style (which is why I came to see them in the first place).

Best of luck and keep us posted!