Plan to attend convention - what can I expect there? (Baltimore)

PinkUnicorn

So far I only have one modest-size tattoo.

I have a general idea for my second, based on an ancient family-related crow design, but

feel it needs some creative input to give it something more.

There's a tattoo convention coming up in April in one of

my home towns of Baltimore. If I go to that would there

be a realistic chance of chatting with various tattoo artists (local + visiting)

about my idea, seeing if they have some input, and maybe even getting it

done there?

Or would it not really be possible to be so "promiscuous" with the artists

there unless I was fairly definite on getting it done by one of them?

Thanks.

I've only been to two conventions so far, but both of them had a fair number of artists who were available for walk ups. Personally, however, I would still recommend doing some research before going. You might fall in love with an artist's work online and be able to secure an appointment instead of leaving it up to chance.

Even if you don't make an appointment ahead of time, you'll know which booths you want to prioritize visiting as opposed to walking in blind and trying to see them all. There's a lot going on at conventions, so it can get overwhelming and rushed for time.

This convention is run by Villain Arts. Check out their website for the artist attending list and look for a quality artist in the style you prefer. I like the convention atmosphere but it's not for everyone. I got tattooed in Baltimore at the 2010 convention and got stuck there in a blizzard for two days. Artists were giving tattoos away because 60 percent of the appointments were canceled due to the weather. There are good possibilities that you could get a walk up tattoo from a good artist, however the most sought after artists usually book up in advance. Also just because an artist is there doesn't mean they are good at their trade.

I've been to one convention - in Knoxville, so not that big. I found 95% of the artists were very personable and willing to converse if they weren't busy working. Booth people (non-artists) were knowledgeable and outgoing. I found the whole area full of people enjoying their passion. I went on a Friday night, so people were fresh and in good spirits. Don't think I'd ever go on Sunday or late Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

Have fun with it - my first was Baltimore, where I wandered around looking at portfolios and talking to artists. If they aren't working, people will talk with you about ideas. That's where I found my guy - I'd been looking for someone and just talking with someone in person helped me feel like he could do the job and was interested in it. i didn't get tattooed that day, but I could have.

There is the off chance that I will go to this convention. I will be in the area on Sunday with perhaps nothing to do.