Japanese style octopus tattoo

2bacanvas

Last week I started on my second sleeve. I wanted a octopus mixed with anemones. It still needs colouring. I'm pretty happy with it but wouldn't mind some more tentacles, even one over its mouth. Some people say it kinda looks like an alien. Let me know what you think guys. post-51117-146168876856_thumb.jpg

I think it looks grrreat ! Really nice sculpted lines and nice finger waves, nice background.

The 'unseen' tentacles would be hiding behind the waves and rocks. I think it would look unnatural if you have all 8 arms clearly visible. You could have one added reaching up behind into the arm ditch...but honestly it looks awesome as is, less is more, don't overthink. Going to look awesome when you colour in. With the background water/waves/rocks black the octopus will pop with some colour. Will really come alive when you get the suction cups filled :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I get allot of mixed reviews on this tattoo. Some like it and some criticize it. Il post some pics when it's coloured in. 21 February.

Do you not like your tattoo? Is there something you found wrong with it that you were hoping we would mention and validate your feelings? It's a fine tattoo. It'll look great with color.

There are a few friends and some other tattooed people who mentioned the mouth of the octopus looks funny. And some say it looks more like an alien head cause the body is missing . I think it will really stand out its a octopus ones the colour is in. I like the look of the octopus as it is different from the portrait like tattoos I've seen and it's also japanese style. Maybe I would have done the tentacles a bit different but I like the tattoo. I know I shouldn't care what others think but I'm only human and sometimes influenced by some of the negative comments by others.

Re: the mouth, I know little about Japanese art but it seems like octopuses often have odd and fantastic mouths in ukiyo-e prints, and the mouth of your octopus is well within that norm... Results for 'octopus' - Ukiyo-e Search Seems like maybe some of the people making negative comments just aren't familiar with Japanese depictions of octopuses. I hope you like it more when the color's put in but I think it's cool.

Re: the mouth, I know little about Japanese art but it seems like octopuses often have odd and fantastic mouths in ukiyo-e prints, and the mouth of your octopus is well within that norm... Results for 'octopus' - Ukiyo-e Search Seems like maybe some of the people making negative comments just aren't familiar with Japanese depictions of octopuses. I hope you like it more when the color's put in but I think it's cool.

Thanks for this - I can understand why @2bacanvas is wondering about how the mouth looks when comparing it to a realistic octopus, but this print sums it up quite nicely.

With color I think it will look much more obvious. I hope the suckers really stand out!

00031v.jpg

Thanks for the link. Many prints show the mouth. There is one that really looks like mine but it's got a naked diver chick in it so I won't post it. Lol

Have we given up on the Latest Tattoo Lowdown thread? Because I like a thread where everybody posts their new tattoos instead of these individual threads that will be forgotten about within days.

Sorry man. Didn't know there was a thread like that. Il keep it in mind for my next posts.