Japanese style octopus tattoo

2bacanvas

Yes the tentacle configuration bothers me allot as well. The tentacles should be a tattooists dream. So many options. And I'm not fond of the huge mouth. It wasn't so pronounced on the drawing. Problem is I liked the initial drawing but during tattooing he did a bunch of freehand stuff which I don't appreciate. I'm having a appointment with another artist in if there is nothing to do about it il have part of the octopus lasered of. Sad cause it wasn't cheap.

Ah, there it is...the opinion that validates yours.

If you don't like it (and it seems like its pretty clear WHAT you don't like about it) why ask around about opinions?

I don't mean this to be harsh, but maybe this style of tattoo isn't for you? It's been my experience with larger work that there will be differences between the original drawing and the final tattoo application. They are, after all, two very different things.

If you go in being dead-set on every detail and line I think it's a pretty sure bet your expectations will be different than the outcome. I think the impact and overall effect are much more important, but that's me. Not to say you shouldn't feel like you can (and should) get what you want, but with something that large and involved it's unlikely that any drawing will be a perfect transfer into the tattoo.

As mentioned above, extend it up! With more coverage, the over-all impact will become the focal point, not some minuscule details that only you (the wearer) will notice because you have the opportunity to obsess about it.

Just some guy on the internet's $0.02

I won't go to another artist as I do respect this artist. Maybe we need to sit down and have a chat about some of my issues. I do understand what you guys are saying. Maybe I have to let it heal and see what it looks like healed. Maybe I'm going thru a bit of a shock. I will talk to my artist to see if we can extend it a bit. The reason why I was asking opinions is because many guys on here are very experienced on all kinds of tattoos and tattoo styles. I'm just a guy with not much background knowledge in tattoos. So again I apologize if I offended anyone.

Yea, one of the things you need to learn (as new to tattoos, I assume?) is that there will always, Always, be something wrong with a tattoo. Whether that something is created in your own head or is something visible, you'll find something wrong with all of your tattoos. I can point to all the flaws in mine: where a line fell out, where the color didn't heal like I thought it would, where color faded after healing, where the line has spread a bit, should have gone a different color, should have gone black & grey, etc.

Learn to live with it - they all come out like that, with some manner of imperfection. Nobody will scrutinize your tattoo like you will, they'll see some finger waves and an octopus - and it is a nice tattoo. Just get more.

Yea, one of the things you need to learn (as new to tattoos, I assume?) is that there will always, Always, be something wrong with a tattoo. Whether that something is created in your own head or is something visible, you'll find something wrong with all of your tattoos. I can point to all the flaws in mine: where a line fell out, where the color didn't heal like I thought it would, where color faded after healing, where the line has spread a bit, should have gone a different color, should have gone black & grey, etc.

Learn to live with it - they all come out like that, with some manner of imperfection. Nobody will scrutinize your tattoo like you will, they'll see some finger waves and an octopus - and it is a nice tattoo. Just get more.

dont forget bad placement!

good advice above

to the OP

dude - your tatt is cool

even if it wasnt - you should still rock it like you stole it

even if it wasnt - you should still rock it like you stole it

I endorse this sentiment 100%. The issue here has very little to do with the actual tattoo and almost everything to do with self-confidence. @2bacanvas if I have come across as a dick on this thread it is because I am a mean and hateful bastard, but you have mentioned that "people say it kinda looks like an alien", that you "get allot of mixed reviews on this tattoo. Some like it and some criticize it." If you get hung up on what other people think about your tattoos, you are ALWAYS going to be unhappy with them. Fuck what other people think because 1) it's on you and it's permanent (you're never going to laser off a little bit of it and have the guy rework it so let's just drop that notion); 2) most people are stupid and uncreative and have no idea when it comes to art and don't especially care either, so if you ask the average non-tattooed or lightly tattooed person what they think of tattoos they're probably going to prefer the bird silhouettes that are contorted into their children's initials and look like a pile of shit over a beautiful Japanese tattoo that has no overt meaning. So basically nobody with any sense should give half a shit about their opinions. And that includes the people here. If you're not going to be confident in the tattoos you get you probably shouldn't be getting tattooed anyway. Tattoos aren't for everybody, and that includes a lot of people who have them.