Hey Guys, What would you do in this situation?

atissue

New member here, but wanted an opinion on what you guys would do in this situation. So i gave a downpayment of $400 to a shop for a sleeve. Owner said i have to wait 6 months for my appointment, no problem. I waited the 6 months. A month before my appointment i dropped into the shop to if my artist started a sketch yet, and the artist told me he hasn't started. 3 days before my appointment the owner of the shop calls me and tells me my artist left the country and is having problems getting back. So he pushed my appointment another 2 weeks back. Within a week the owner calls me back again, and says my artist still isn't back yet and would like to push my appointment back another month.. Would you guys wait it out? or just find a new shop?

Thanks for your feed back!

This seems like great advice. If the situation is really that one of their artists is struggling to get back into the country they are probably stressed about it too. Talk to them and show compassion for their situation while also standing up for your rights/needs. Maybe you can work out a mutually agreed upon resolution. Something like: if the artist isn't back and able to schedule an appointment by (reasonable date in the future) you will get a refund and go to another shop or, perhaps, another artist at the same shop if that is an option you are open to.

Sounds fishy to me...How long has the shop been in business...And do you know a lot of people who've got work from there.I would get my money back before you call the shop,and their not in business anymore.
I think for large pieces there needs to be a reliable, predictable and trustworthy relationship between the artist and collector. That being said, communication is also important, if you were the one always initiating conversation and little effort from the artist to meet deadlines, them yes, I would be concerned. Keep in mind than that artists that are in high demand not only have to continue their craft, but have lots of timewasters and divas as customers, thus sometimes in an effort to make people happy they over promise. This is typical in many industries. It really comes down to what your gut tells you. My artist has been on several Spike TV shows and is in high demand. The 3 times he has seen me, he has ran late for appointments and/or rescheduled, but has communicated that. I have been very understanding and flexible because I know he is pulled in many different directions. So in summary, communication is key.

• 3 weeks later...

$400 deposit is a lot of money for no work being shown. But honestly unless you got a receipt saying what was agreed upon with that 400 you're in limbo. If you have a receipt with an agreed upon time for completion of the sketch and dated appointment then you have leverage for your money back and the ability to give that money to a better organized artist. But if you never got any agreement on paper then your easiest resolution would be wait for him to get back into town. Best advice anyone could give would be get an agreement in writing before you drop any amount of money for a deposit, and dont do business with someone who forfeits on their agreed schedule for that amount of time. Regardless of if you get the full amount of your deposit back I personally would choose an artist that takes the situation more seriously, (he did let you find out through the shop, instead of a personal call)