Considering mixing black out with Japanese

shinobi

Hi, I've got an arm that is just an utter mess.

I could really use some direction in getting back on track.

A couple years ago I started lasering a bad forearm sleeve outline

and it's finally ready for cover-up. I'm considering covering it with a new Koi forearm sleeve

but this time from a more reputable artist.

On the same arm (rear tricep) I have another piece that I'm just not happy with

and I'm considering just blacking out my bicep. It's color and I'm just not committed to

lasering for another two to three years.

Question - Are there any examples of a blackout/Japanese arm out there?

I'd love to see what it looks like.

I'm even considering adding some negative

blackwork pieces to the black so if there are any examples of blackwork with Japanese I'd

be interested in seeing them as well.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the response SStu. I've seen quite a few sleeves on the interwebs where someone will have their forearm blacked out with the rest of the sleeve above it showing. I'd actually be very surprised if nobody on this forum has something like that.

Hi, I've got an arm that is just an utter mess.

I could really use some direction in getting back on track.

A couple years ago I started lasering a bad forearm sleeve outline

and it's finally ready for cover-up. I'm considering covering it with a new Koi forearm sleeve

but this time from a more reputable artist.

On the same arm (rear tricep) I have another piece that I'm just not happy with

and I'm considering just blacking out my bicep. It's color and I'm just not committed to

lasering for another two to three years.

Question - Are there any examples of a blackout/Japanese arm out there?

I'd love to see what it looks like.

I'm even considering adding some negative

blackwork pieces to the black so if there are any examples of blackwork with Japanese I'd

be interested in seeing them as well.

Thanks in advance.

If the black is faded, you would be suprized what a good artist can do over it. Is the blackout because you dont think it can be covered? Anyway, I'm not sure your location, but in Dallas there is an artist named Mark Thompson, that IMHO is one of the best at Japanese

I meant mixing Japanese and and black work on one arm. Of course one traditional arm and one black work one would work

That's another route I was thinking of going - One arm trad and the other jacked up arm partial blackout and blackwork, etc.

Been looking a lot at Nathan Mould's work for that other arm lately.

Thanks for the response SStu. I've seen quite a few sleeves on the interwebs where someone will have their forearm blacked out with the rest of the sleeve above it showing. I'd actually be very surprised if nobody on this forum has something like that.

Certainly, but most of the ones I've seen involved more modern styles outside of the black area. Can't say I've seen anyone mix blackout with Japanese.

I feel like I'm not getting something here. You have a tattoo on your tricep you don't like so you're considering blacking out your bicep?

Yes, that's correct. Just blacking out the tattoo would look odd IMO. It's either that or 2 years of laser. Overkill you think?

If you want some good advice you will need to post some photos. There are plenty of people walking around with a mix of Japanese, Traditional, and Blackwork. I feel like I see more when I am looking at photos from Europe, and London more specifically. The guys at Into You in London seem to have clients with a lot of this mixed type of work. I'm with @Graeme that blacking out your arm sounds drastic with just a tricep tattoo that is bugging you, but I can't say for sure until I can see what it all looks like.

japanese tattoos have a lot of elements that are pretty darn close to "blackout". Wind bars, rocks, black scaled koi, etc. you might have more options than you think.

Definitely talk to a reputable and qualified artist about all this, but...

I think the blast-over look could be pretty cool with a traditional Japanese theme. Something with a lot of black to obscure the old tattoo without completely erasing it, and then have a cohesive sleeve around/beyond it.

And photos of the area in question would certainly help.