You Can't Spell - And It Matters

blujax01

I don't understand artists who make egregious errors. You'd look up an anatomy reference for an animal you're not 100% on, so why not spend the less-than-a-minute it takes to be sure everything is spelled right? Clients should be checking too, but that's another issue altogether.

I don't understand people who make sweeping generalizations?? Sometimes we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the shop and little things slip your attention. Misspelling a tattoo isn't a justifiable error, however we are human and we make mistakes and what with most tattooers having decade-long careers, the probability that something like this will happen is high. This thread feels very bitchy and ranty overall. Everyone needs to accept responsibility on both sides.

I don't understand people who make sweeping generalizations?? Sometimes we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the shop and little things slip your attention. Misspelling a tattoo isn't a justifiable error, however we are human and we make mistakes and what with most tattooers having decade-long careers, the probability that something like this will happen is high. This thread feels very bitchy and ranty overall. Everyone needs to accept responsibility on both sides.

Emphasis mine.

This is exactly why there is a process problem. Not blaming anyone - stuff happens from both the service provider end and the consumer end - not just in tattooing. Distraction, differing expectations, differences in comprehension levels, etc. This is why things like check lists get created, signatures required, etc., to catch dopey little things before they become big things. Look at the process for making sure all the sponges are removed after a surgery - why? Because everyone's mind is on something else.

Look at the form you have to sign for a surgical procedure outlining the risks - that form is used to make sure they remember to tell you the risks, and that you are forced to think about them. Ok, most people just sign away, but that form was created as a check-point (and also a huge CYA for the medical community) and part of the risk management process.

Ugh, yeah, this isn't suppose to be a bitch-fest, but if clients have to sign the form to get tattooed, why not make a form for tattoos that include spelling? Perhaps overkill, but that would go a long way to preventing distraction errors made by both providers and consumers. This might sound like I am blaming tattoo artists - I am not. It's just that tattoo artists are in the position to introduce the process and use it for consumers who may arrive clueless to what the expectations are for them, and as a checkpoint and CYA for themselves.

$0.02.

@SeeSea, my forms have always included spelling.

Whenever I've done important testing, identifiers (names, ID number, etc) have always had to be bubbled in. I wonder if consciously putting every letter, number, punctuation, space, etc. like that would help. The client and artist could even both do it and compare notes, then discuss if there's discrepancies.

I am going in next week to have my latest tattoo "corrected". I sure wish that I had DEMANDED that the artist send me a sketch before the original appointment. I had sent a photo to give a good idea of what I wanted. When I arrived, he showed me the stencil, but I was already caught in my tattoo-euphoria, and didn't check it well. He made several serious errors in design (which I hope can be fixed without laser), and several more in execution. I'm giving him the chance to correct it. I've seen great work that he has done. So, from now on I will demand an emailed sketch.

I am so happy that my only lettering was not only carefully gone over by myself and my artist (a different one, who did my first two tattoos), but also the font and placement. She has always emailed sketches, and been very good about back-and-forth on them. I'll use her from now on. Come to think of it, her forms included spell-check, also.

@pidjones i'm not sure how well being DEMANDING in the tattoo shop will go over. Actually I do know, it won't get a very positive response. Being caught up in your own tattoo-euphoria and not checking the stencil thoroughly enough, well, you get to shoulder that responsibility. My unsolicited advice is to relax and discuss it in a calm and reasonable manner and you will be more likely to find a solution with the tattooer. There is no such thing as a perfect tattoo, it is very common that we get fixated on the new tattoo and can see every imperfection. However we're hoping your tattooer can make things right for you. What is the tattoo that you are referring to?

I've only had a sketch emailed to me once in the last 12 years. It hit my inbox 2 days beforehand. It looked great and got the just of what bud was going to tattoo, but it was just that. A sketch. And the end-product goes way beyond what the sketch could convey. Most tattooers I know don't sketch it up until the night before (keep the drawing fresh on the mind) and only make the stencil when you show up and are ready to rock n roll.

I've got some cranes on my arm. The crane had 2 legs on the sketch. 2 legs on the stencil. But only 1 leg at the end of the line session. I freaked a bit. My tattooer just said relax, the missing leg is just behind some clouds. Things fit flow and look a different way when they finally go in the skin. And I love this tattoo even more for that mild imperfection.

/offtopic...back to text tattoos.

Here's some more unsolicited advice for everyone. A picture is worth a thousand words. But if you really need words to get your meaning across...keep it simple and choose your words wisely. You can say A LOT with only a few words...and it will reduce the probability of a spelling or grammatical error ;)

- - - Updated - - -

edit/ for spelling and grammar haha

Edited by bongsau
spelling and grammar ...LOL

I do take it as my own fault for letting the euphoria overcome me. I try to be a good customer. The customer still has rights that he pays for with his deposit. I feel that seeing a sketch in advance is part of that (the other artist I've been to seems to think it obvious for a custom piece). Otherwise, please refund my deposit and I can go to another artist. I am fairly sure that he would have sent a sketch had I requested it. My fault for not pressing that. I'm sure that if I had seen the sketch a week prior, I would have pointed out corrections in the design. Many of the execution mistakes can be easily corrected, I'm sure.

I do take it as my own fault for letting the euphoria overcome me. I try to be a good customer. The customer still has rights that he pays for with his deposit. I feel that seeing a sketch in advance is part of that (the other artist I've been to seems to think it obvious for a custom piece). Otherwise, please refund my deposit and I can go to another artist. I am fairly sure that he would have sent a sketch had I requested it. My fault for not pressing that. I'm sure that if I had seen the sketch a week prior, I would have pointed out corrections in the design. Many of the execution mistakes can be easily corrected, I'm sure.

So not only did you approve the drawing, but it was on your forearm and took, what, a couple of hours or so on a body part you can easily see, and you didn't voice your concerns about the tattoo until after it was done? That's not the tattooer's fault. Have you contacted the artist about this at all, or are you just talking shit on the internet?

This reminds me of the time I ordered some chicken from a takeout place down the street. I called ahead with specific directions about how it should be seasoned (no sauce) and cooked (fried). When I got there to pick it up I was so hungry that I ignored the fact that it was covered in BBQ sauce and grilled. It tasted really good and I ate it all as soon as I got home but it wasn't what I specified so I returned a few days later to demand a refund.

This reminds me of the time I ordered some chicken from a takeout place down the street. I called ahead with specific directions about how it should be seasoned (no sauce) and cooked (fried). When I got there to pick it up I was so hungry that I ignored the fact that it was covered in BBQ sauce and grilled. It tasted really good and I ate it all as soon as I got home but it wasn't what I specified so I returned a few days later to demand a refund.

Did you post what reads like a bad Yelp review on a takeout chicken forum afterward? Because that's what I would have done.

I just can't understand the viewpoints of some of the posts that blame the client. We professional tattooists are counted on in every respect to act PROFESSIONAL. Therefore, spending a little time and care double and triple checking the spelling of the work that you are responsible for is in my opinion, part of your job. Although we ultimately cannot be held responsible for dates and peoples names incorrectly given to us by the client, proper spelling is part of our work put out in world, which represents us. If you cannot understand this perhaps you shouldn't be tattooing.