DEVILS

hfs40000

Whenever I think of devil/demon tattoos, the first person that comes to mind is Derek Noble. Don't think it gets much better when it comes to the demonic stuff.

And like a couple people have already said, as badass as they look, I don't think I could properly rock something like that. But they do make for some badass tattoos.

10955376_1778173862408127_1953900420_n.jpg

10948753_1532051913711287_612003679_n.jpg

10732036_685716688182303_386597907_n.jpg

02dcbd9a9a6d11e286a922000a1fb703_7.jpg

7a38c1129a6911e2965422000a9f18cc_7.jpg

10853075_583439908468402_309917725_n.jpg

Erryone talking about not being able to rock a proper devil/demon tattoo is missing out.

Alls you gotta do is fork over your everlasting-soul to the dark lord! Simple!

On a serious note, I find this really interesting. I'd say some of the depictions of Kali I've seen are waaay heavier than most devils tats (as only one example) but there's far less response of "I couldn't wear that". What is it about the great satan hisself that conjures such hesitation?

- - - Updated - - -

And also, Herb Auerbach rules for devils:

https://instagram.com/p/veW3SZvJbe/?modal=true

https://instagram.com/p/y5UEJAvJRb/?modal=true

https://instagram.com/p/wZh-EGvJZn/?modal=true

I wouldn't get a Kali tattoo, either lol. And I feel the same people who get Kali would probably not have a big issue getting the devil also. Most people raised in the western world just don't make the same associations to an eastern goddess as they would to old familiar Satan.

Personally, I like the imagery, but I'm just not willing to put stuff of that type of energy on my body. Hope that makes sense. I could do a hot stuff devil though, which might not be a bad idea for the next one...

@9Years On a superficial level, these kinds demons/devils just aren't my thing. I have an aversion to tattoos of male images (the misandry!), and since most of these depictions translate as male to me, I just don't like them. I appreciate the quality of the tattoo, but it's just not my taste. With that said, I love depictions of demonic, gnarly ladies (Medusa, witches, etc) and would totally consider getting one.

On the Kali thing, I wouldn't get a tattoo of a religious symbol, especially one I have a very superficial understanding of. I'm definitely into the image of this force of female fury, power and destruction, but I personally find it difficult to extricate that image from its religious connotations.

As a side note, I have an interest (a light hobby, really) in how certain imagery is recurring in the art of cultures that barely or never interact. You can clearly see the similarities between these medieval paintings of Satan and traditional depictions of Kali.

these are my little devils, first one is by Ben Fraser and the dirty hot stuff by Mando Rascon.

love both of these

- - - Updated - - -

i'm pretty sure it's from the "könig der tätowierer" christian warlich

Thank you. I couldn't find any pictures of the flash or anything but i'll take your word for it.

- - - Updated - - -

And here is mine from Saturday.

21cy3d4.jpg

By Craig Boxcar Chazen

@9Years

On the Kali thing, I wouldn't get a tattoo of a religious symbol, especially one I have a very superficial understanding of. I'm definitely into the image of this force of female fury, power and destruction, but I personally find it difficult to extricate that image from its religious connotations.

Sorry to get off topic, but I agree with this entirely - this is one of my current favorite tattoos even though I'm only staring at it on a dinky computer screen. But understanding Kali through I guess a feminist lens would feel like a superficial justification on my part for wearing an image with that much religious weight. I very much want something as smack-you-in-the-face amazing as this on my back some day, though, and am currently trawling through images of badass women that maybe aren't quite so freighted.

Thanks for sharing the link to those Satan images; they're fantastic.

@polliwog Smack-you-in-the-face amazing, indeed. That is undoubtedly quite a striking tattoo. I'm also in the search of a potent back piece, so I know what you mean.

Your bit about looking at Kali only through a feminist lens is so spot-on. I think it's very tempting, as Western women whose cultural female iconographies are dominated by the demure Christian variety, to cling to Kali as purely a symbol of female force. It's empowering, and I can see how folks are drawn to that.

Tattoos are entirely personal, though, and I think people should be free to do as they will. I hope this discussion doesn't come across as a condemnation of some kind.

So what about those devil tattoos, huh?

So, sorry to readers who came for the devils. But! Re: your point about Christian female iconography - I did ask a tattooer about the allure of Tibetan Buddhist and Hindu art, which led to a pretty funny discussion about how we grew up as crucifers in the Episcopal church.

So devils: Theo Mindell is an obvious choice but I so want a devilish girl-head from him.