First Timer

DavidR

Hi All,

Pushing 50 and never been inked. I've wanted tattoos more than half of my life but there's always been a reason not to but I'm a big boy now and it's about time I started making my own bad decisions.

I had an epiphany recently and found myself asking "Dude, what's the worst that can happen?" so I've found a local artist whose work I like and I have a five hour slot booked a week from now.

I've had sleepless nights worrying about what I'm going to have done - it's not that I can't think of anything, it's because I can't decide on only one thing - but one thing I do know: she'll come up with something far more impressive than I if I only let her have her creative freedom. So I'm gonna give her the broadest of briefs and let the chips fall where they may.

My mom and I are going to get our first tattoos in a week. My mom is also 50, but she's not really worried about the pain (we're both beginning with 4-5 hour sessions) while I think I might be so nervous I might vomit beforehand. haha. Let us know how it goes and what you and your artist decide! Good luck!

Who will be doing your work?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Charlotte Chadeau at La Bobine Tattoo Club in Aix-en-Provence will be doing my tattoo. She's done stuff in a variety of styles that appeal to me so there's clearly something about her art that I like. I wanted to choose an artist local to me because I'm viewing this as a long-term deal. I'll want to get more pieces in the future and have existing pieces maintained and extended so having an artist I can get to easily was an important part of the equation.

You can check her work out here.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Charlotte Chadeau at La Bobine Tattoo Club in Aix-en-Provence will be doing my tattoo. She's done stuff in a variety of styles that appeal to me so there's clearly something about her art that I like. I wanted to choose an artist local to me because I'm viewing this as a long-term deal. I'll want to get more pieces in the future and have existing pieces maintained and extended so having an artist I can get to easily was an important part of the equation.

You can check her work out here.

Her work is great, can't wait to see what you get. Are you starting a sleeve or something?

Her work is great, can't wait to see what you get. Are you starting a sleeve or something?

That's one of my last remaining stumbling blocks. I like the idea of a sleeve but I also like the idea of a collection of individual tattoos (that Smith Street look). The choice of my first tattoo obviously has a lot of bearing on which way I go.

I could always get something that could be incorporated into a sleeve (and she's done some awesome sleeves) but I'm not yet sufficiently invested in a single theme to commit an entire arm to it. I'm hoping I resolve that quandary at some point over the next six days :D

So I feel like a fraud but... I cancelled my appointment.

I ended up drowning in doubt. Doubts about style, design, my chosen artist. By the time I'd finished tying myself up in knots, I doubted whether I even wanted a tattoo at all. So not the best frame of mind in which to make a lifetime decision. I was pretty bummed out about it for a couple of days but I know I made the right decision and I'm gonna take some time to get my head straight before making another appointment.

I think the best place to start doing that is right here. I'm gonna soak up some culture and wisdom. I'm also going to attend a couple of conventions in May.

• 1 month later...

I also had alot of reservations about the sleeve I have always wanted. I just turned 43 (plain skin girl) and said to hell with everyone else. I trusted in my artists skills to create from my inspration and had my fisrt sit yesterday. We/I had a great time and I am so happy with the results so far. This morning, I have ZERO regrets! Im in LOVE with my new arm. Take your time, let the artist guide you and trust the advice of the knowledgable people here on LST. Good Luck!

Nina