Rescheduling (Dilema)

xcom

I'm not sure that it's even worth posting anything on the subject of rescheduling at this point, but... With all of my sessions up until this point, I've booked them far enough out so that if something came up with work (ie boss changing vacation dates - happened A LOT), I was able to reschedule with plenty of time (ie within 2 weeks of booking my sessions, so at least 8 weeks out) for the artist to fill that spot. I've had work done with folks who never had problems filling spots, and I've always wanted to be respectful of their time and our relationship.

If I were the tattoo artist, and someone essentially double booked (or booked back to back, then decided it wasn't going to work) on me then decided a week out that they needed to reschedule a 6 hour session, you'd bet I'd be pissed.

Sometimes it's the way life shakes out, but you do have to remember that this is a relationship that you are engaging in, and you want the person who is giving you the tattoo to be into what they are doing. It's hard to be into what you're doing when your client is a last minute rescheduler - professional or not. I've had to cancel with only 24 hours notice once, and that was because I had a triple whammy illness and the shop refused to let me walk in the doors (rightfully so, I was REALLY sick and probably would have wound up with a horribly infected tattoo and gotten the whole shop sick).

@SeeSea - those initial consultations scare the bejesus out of me. I remember my first one so vividly, I forgot all of my visual references at home, then stuttered and made absolutely no sense. It's a miracle that my tattoo artist decided to work with me at all.

If I were the tattoo artist, and someone essentially double booked (or booked back to back, then decided it wasn't going to work) on me then decided a week out that they needed to reschedule a 6 hour session, you'd bet I'd be pissed.

l.

You are making it sound like it was intentional and that was not that case. Also take note that this are two artist that we are talking about... I am not booking the same artist twice.

It was all a miss calculation of time on my part and I am taking responsibility. I was honest to the artist about it.

I've had to cancel with only 24 hours notice once, and that was because I had a triple whammy illness and the shop refused to let me walk in the doors (rightfully so, I was REALLY sick and probably would have wound up with a horribly infected tattoo and gotten the whole shop sick).

Oh gosh I still feel bummed for you thinking about this one! (((hugs)))

Sounds like you've got it all sorted with your artist. That's what matters. You'll be spending quite a bit of time together, so I'm sure it'll be forgotten in no time.

I understand what you are saying about time commitments and responsibility outside of your getting tattooed. I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption that the majority of people on this forum have demanding work schedules, travel times, and juggling to do regarding fitting in tattoo appointments. Open communication works wonders and occasionally things come up. As for driving almost 2hrs for a 15min consult. I'd say most of us have been in similar shoes. It sucks, but that's when you just got to make it work around both artist and client schedule.

Just in the future be mindful of when you are booking your appointments. Be open to say no when a suggested day doesn't work for you.

When I booked out the sessions for my full back, I was probably the most annoying client ever for the receptionist. I had a years worth of work commitments, planned trips, etc all blacked out of the calendar in front of me when we started scheduling. A few (nonconsecutive) months were completely off the table. I'm not the kind of person that can be on a canceled last minute call list. But, I'm sure a tattooer appreciates a simple no to a date. In the future have your agenda with you before booking.

And best of luck with your new work. Please post it up.