Rescheduling (Dilema)

xcom

Here is a bit of a dilemma I went through....

I had to reschedule my Feb 26th appt for march.

The artist was not happy and wants me to pay in advance... I talked to him and he was ok with me sending another deposit.

Did I do wrong by rescheduling 7 days in advance?

I meant no harm... I just cant do my back piece and run do my arm the next day.... I didn't meant for it to be so close to each other... I am not a sucker for pain.

I'm confused.... but 2 days in a row is do able. I recommend going for it. It will feel like a great accomplishment at the end of day 2.

Brian,

So basically I booked work back to back with two different artist... I just didnt realize it till I started looking at the calendar. :)

Thanks for the recommendation.... I might just do it...

Yeah, I bet the tattoo artist is probably not stoked, cause now they have an empty day in their schedule next week. Most tattooers this wouldn't be a huge deal, they will fill up their opening pretty quickly if they have a steady stream of ongoing clients and walkins. I think tattoo shops get a lot of tire kicking - not saying that about you, though. Don't be a repeat offender. Book your appointments and commit. However, better to give a week notice to resched then no show.

Why are you starting a new tattoo on your arm when you've got your back going?

- - - Updated - - -

Like, pay full price for the session in advance? Or deposit?

Yeah, I bet the tattoo artist is probably not stoked, cause now they have an empty day in their schedule next week. Most tattooers this wouldn't be a huge deal, they will fill up their opening pretty quickly if they have a steady stream of ongoing clients and walkins. I think tattoo shops get a lot of tire kicking - not saying that about you, though. Don't be a repeat offender. Book your appointments and commit. However, better to give a week notice to resched then no show.

Why are you starting a new tattoo on your arm when you've got your back going?

- - - Updated - - -

Like, pay full price for the session in advance? Or deposit?

He wanted me to pay the full session in advance.... I talked him in to accepting an extra deposit instead. I just cant shell out 1K without getting no work done. So now I am 200 Dollars in as a deposit which is not bad but quite a few dollars if you ask me :)

I thought I was going to finish my back piece in one seating but it actually turn out to be allot bigger piece than expected, now I am half my back in :)

The artist told me come back for the second session in two weeks and I agreed... I looked at my calendar today and I just saw I had schedule my arm work done right the next day... Than the problem started evolving in to a bigger issue... Cant reschedule my back because I already knew that the artist doing my back piece travels to conferences and guest posts and he was going to FL for the Ink Life Tour in FL and than heading to another tour from there and guest post on the way so it was going to be a wile before I saw him again....

Given that the artist doing my arm has not started I thought it would be easier to reschedule him but turned out to cost me some money :)

I am not a repeat offender and I don't intend too (at least what is under my control)

Unless you really know the shop, (and they know you) they may be wary of not being able to fill that spot of time. Loss of revenue for the artist as well as the shop. And it sure hurts your creds as a client... hence a substantial deposit request.

If you can do both appointments, that would be cool and you get a lot done quicker. I'm bouncing back and forth between both arms right now with appointments deep into March. And I know how much it hurts.

Unless you really know the shop, (and they know you) they may be wary of not being able to fill that spot of time. Loss of revenue for the artist as well as the shop. And it sure hurts your creds as a client... hence a substantial deposit request.

If you can do both appointments, that would be cool and you get a lot done quicker. I'm bouncing back and forth between both arms right now with appointments deep into March. And I know how much it hurts.

I am going to try and pull it off.

Thanks. :)

Here is a bit of a dilemma I went through....

I had to reschedule my Feb 26th appt for march.

The artist was not happy and wants me to pay in advance... I talked to him and he was ok with me sending another deposit.

Did I do wrong by rescheduling 7 days in advance?

I meant no harm... I just cant do my back piece and run do my arm the next day.... I didn't meant for it to be so close to each other... I am not a sucker for pain.

I'm going against the popular vote and, without knowing the size of the work you are doing or the length of the sessions, there is no way I would schedule back-to-back like that. But my back sessions averaged 6 hours and late at night and I feel trashed the next day, so my experience might not be relevant.

Regarding the deposit, did you agree to a cancellation policy with your artist when you put down your first deposit? You should have, and if not, I feel he has no business asking for entire payment up front (!!!). Also, if you gave 1 week notice, I think a another deposit is also out of line. Now if you called to reschedule a second time, then I think he has a right to ask for something more.

So, you had better get a cancellation policy set between you two (and the other one). It should include terms when you need to cancel/ reschedule AND terms for when he cancels. I have a 3-day cancellation or I have to pay a second deposit IF HE CAN'T FILL THE SPOT, and vice versa - if he cancels at the last minute I get that amount of credit. (Actually, it may be that I would have had to pay his minimum - 3 hours, but I never had to do that so I don't recall. - but that's still way less than a grand.)

I'm going against the popular vote and, without knowing the size of the work you are doing or the length of the sessions, there is no way I would schedule back-to-back like that. But my back sessions averaged 6 hours and late at night and I feel trashed the next day, so my experience might not be relevant.

Regarding the deposit, did you agree to a cancellation policy with your artist when you put down your first deposit? You should have, and if not, I feel he has no business asking for entire payment up front (!!!). Also, if you gave 1 week notice, I think a another deposit is also out of line. Now if you called to reschedule a second time, then I think he has a right to ask for something more.

So, you had better get a cancellation policy set between you two (and the other one). It should include terms when you need to cancel/ reschedule AND terms for when he cancels. I have a 3-day cancellation or I have to pay a second deposit IF HE CAN'T FILL THE SPOT, and vice versa - if he cancels at the last minute I get that amount of credit. (Actually, it may be that I would have had to pay his minimum - 3 hours, but I never had to do that so I don't recall. - but that's still way less than a grand.)

@SeeSea,

+1

There was no policy information exchanged. I will get this straight next time.

My back will go for 6hrs (2nd session) and my arm will go for 5hrs (1st session)... Estimated by both artist... (Give or take buffer)

After another talk with my artist doing my back I actually decided to reschedule my arm... My neck is going to get worked on this coming up back session and I know that I am going to be super uncomfortable when I sleep... Getting my arm done will just make things more difficult... So I exchanged txt with the artist doing my arm work and came to an agreement and sent him a second deposit.... He was cool with the situation from what I can tell...

I agree with you 100% I shouldn't have to send him a second deposit... But I don't want to be an ass hole ether and come across as some say here "a bad customer"

I'm not saying any of this to be a dick, but you've posted elsewhere on this forum about the difficulty you have with keeping appointments, so I am guessing that your artist is afraid that you're going to flake out and they're going to get stuck without work for the day. Yes, of course things come up and sometimes we need to cancel or reschedule appointments, and that happens to both artists and clients, but don't get a reputation as somebody who habitually misses or cancels appointments because tattooing is a very small world and word gets around.

I'm not saying any of this to be a dick, but you've posted elsewhere on this forum about the difficulty you have with keeping appointments, so I am guessing that your artist is afraid that you're going to flake out and they're going to get stuck without work for the day. Yes, of course things come up and sometimes we need to cancel or reschedule appointments, and that happens to both artists and clients, but don't get a reputation as somebody who habitually misses or cancels appointments because tattooing is a very small world and word gets around.

I understand your point. And yes due to work, If I don't schedule the time with work I will have this problem... Shit now days you even have to make an appointment to talk to an artist for 15 Min about the work you need done. For some of us with dependents in life this becomes a bit difficult.Specially when the drive is one hour and forty five minutes to get there.... But I do my part and do what I have to do to get quality work...

I tell you this though I am not going to take a day off from work to drive 1hr and 45min to talk to an artist for 15 min... I dont have that luxury... so I have to play it by ear... Thus why I have had those issues. But do understand that I have never done a no call no show... I keep communicating... and I am sure the artist looses nothing for those 15min... Most of the time they are doing work while talking to you which has been my experience...

Now if I schedule the time with the artist and the day falls under my work day, I take the day off from work.... This way I have no problems... Which I have done.... Not ethical but hey you do what you got's to do :p

Flake out... I beg to differ.... I gave a 100 dollars deposit you bet I am going to be there. I am 200 in now so trust me ill be there and I am doing everything possible to keep the artist happy.

I am a bit shock really.... Getting tattooed has become a life style that you have to adjust too.... You are no longer a customer, You are a possible fitting candidate for an artist to accept you.

Do something wrong and you get branded in the "community".

At least this is what I am starting to understand.

I understand your point. And yes due to work, If I don't schedule the time with work I will have this problem... Shit now days you even have to make an appointment to talk to an artist for 15 Min about the work you need done. For some of us with dependents in life this becomes a bit difficult.Specially when the drive is one hour and forty five minutes to get there.... But I do my part and do what I have to do to get quality work...

I tell you this though I am not going to take a day off from work to drive 1hr and 45min to talk to an artist for 15 min... I dont have that luxury... so I have to play it by ear... Thus why I have had those issues. But do understand that I have never done a no call no show... I keep communicating... and I am sure the artist looses nothing for those 15min... Most of the time they are doing work while talking to you which has been my experience...

Now if I schedule the time with the artist and the day falls under my work day, I take the day off from work.... This way I have no problems... Which I have done.... Not ethical but hey you do what you got's to do :p

Flake out... I beg to differ.... I gave a 100 dollars deposit you bet I am going to be there. I am 200 in now so trust me ill be there and I am doing everything possible to keep the artist happy.

I am a bit shock really.... Getting tattooed has become a life style that you have to adjust too.... You are no longer a customer, You are a possible fitting candidate for an artist to accept you.

That is a bit of a dramatic take on @Graeme post. All he is saying is that (just like in any other facet of life) you want to keep your reputation strong, and be respectful of other peoples time. There is nothing wrong with changing appointment with proper notice. But if you make a habit of it then you should expect the tattooers to be annoyed. For every sleeve or back piece you see finished on the internet there are 20 that were not. I think the real problem here is that you are getting a sleeve and a back piece done at the same time. Either one of them is an incredible time and money commitment, and you are doing both at the same time.

@Avery Taylor,

Thanks for the information. Indeed that is the problem. :) I am trying to make it right...

I am not trying to be dramatic and I apologize if I came across that way... Just expressing my take on it.

No harm intended.

Thanks again.

No harm man. You seem like a nice guy who is trying to do the right thing. You have committed yourself to a huge endeavour and you are trying to make good on it. I hope you get it sorted out, and get all of the work done. In the end it will be worth all of the hassle.

For every sleeve or back piece you see finished on the internet there are 20 that were not.

THIS ^

To quote some solid life advice I received many years ago from K.D. Lang's 101yo Grandma (true story) ..."you had better finish whatever you start Eric...or else!" Real talk from a really bad ass really old woman, and because of it I never actually experienced what the "or else" is. ;)

Yes, if you are doing a sleeve and a backpiece at the same time, it IS a lifestyle that you have to adjust to, if you are keeping regular appointments to finish in a reasonable period of time. I made many unexpected changes to my lifestyle, including dropping all running races (and most training) for a year. That hurt.

You are a customer in the beginning, but once you start, you are in a relationship. My guy said to me during the first session, that we would be spending an awful lot of time together and we were really going to get to know one another. You are always the client, but you have to give up a lot of autonomy to the artist. He/she runs the show, makes decisions on what gets worked on, etc. You have to just show up and let that happen. My guy explains that for large pieces he turns people away if he doesn't feel he will "click" with them. I think that's a good thing if the artist knows it could affect his work dealing with (insert annoying stereotype here) for 30-100 hours. Sometimes that 15 minutes in person is mainly to sniff butts and decide if you can be friends for the duration.

You already addressed this in one of your other posts, and I'm glad. This community provides a reality-check that some people don't want to hear, and it applies to a lot more than just the tattooing industry. Some people are receptive to it and others get their feathers all ruffled and panties in a twist and go stomping off in a huff of drama. (Although sometimes that's fun to watch...)