Favorite post-heal moisturizer

sighthound

If you have a buildup of dry flaky skin definitely try an AHA lotion like Dermadoctor's KP Duty (not on broken skin though). Paula Begoun makes them too. I like LacHydrin, which is cheaper and easy to find at a drugstore, but the pH is apparently too high for the lactic acid to be as effective as it could be.

Trader Joe's vitamin E oil is cheap and cheerful.

As I've mentioned elsewhere I first wanted a tattoo because I hated my troublesome skin. It's since turned into something a lot more positive, though. But it feels like I've tried All The Lotions...

As for lotioning healed tattoos, it just seems to make them a little brighter if you're not looking at them through a layer of dry skin.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried redemption for my last session... just to help out the cause... and I was amazed by the results... In 7 days total time I was healed.

Except one of my squares that look like it took a beating by the shirt so it needs retouching...

Lubriderm worked a lot better when I was on the west coast.

For my first tattoo ever I used Mineral oil and it's my best healed one. It's a little tough finding unscented but I put a super thin layer and that shit lasts for a very long time.

Plus it makes the already healed tattoos look shiny and new :)

I have bought this lube/moisturizer called "Bepanthen", in Latvia and Denmark, works great ,always! I usually use it in the morning and before sleep, after a week tats are almost healed. 1286412_5.jpg Of course it depends on a persons skin and ect.

Speaking about healing and everything related on it, what do you think about drinking beer while tatt is quite fresh (0-5 days)?

My best healed tattoo was when I left the bandage on for a full 12 hours and then let it dry and cleaned it regularly. After that I used Aquaphor for like 2 weeks. Its a large tattoo and I swear it barley even flaked. I think the healing has more to do with the application of the tattoo than the ointments used after. Keeping it clean is the main part of the aftercare.

So before I put this on, is aveeno HAND cream okay? It doesn't have any lanolin, is unscented, but I just want to nake sure.

You will be just fine. Just pay attention to the ingredients. IMO most aveno products are safe to use.

Just to drag this back on track, the OP asked about moisturizers to use AFTER the tattoo was healed. Not during the healing process, but for everyday use after. There are several discussions about products and techniques for the actual healing itself in other threads.

• 1 month later...
So, what does everyone like to use as just a daily, or semi-daily, skin moisturizer? I know that it's recommended to stay away from the scented, or alcohol based stuff during the healing process. But do you guys/gals use something else after it has healed?

I just bought some new stuff (lubriderm advanced therapy) to try out. Not sure if any other brands are recommended.

good old fashioned Lubriderm fragrance-free,IMO is the best,

a freind of mine likes cocoa butter,but I don't like that for daily long term use because it stays a little greasy,it's good for during the healing process though IMO.

Emu Oil is what I use daily and it's BY FAR the best moisturizer I've found for my tatts. Soaks in super quick and it makes my tatts look vibrant aswell!

most oils are hydrophobic and serve as better barriers than moisturizers. The give the illusion of being moisturized, but it's typically just resting on top of your skins. Water based products are best for true moisturizing but don't look as shiny. I have found that a good water based lotion allowed to penetrate followed by an oil based lotion 15 minutes later works best for me.

most oils are hydrophobic and serve as better barriers than moisturizers. The give the illusion of being moisturized, but it's typically just resting on top of your skins. Water based products are best for true moisturizing but don't look as shiny. I have found that a good water based lotion allowed to penetrate followed by an oil based lotion 15 minutes later works best for me.

Moisturizers increase water in the first few layers of the skin, but that can result in too much water and in turn can be drying. Certain oils like Coconut oil has molecules that are small enough to easily penetrate skin and/or hair.

I like the idea of combining moisturizer with oil though but am wary of certain moisturizers because it seems too much water inside the skin could also lead to a tattoo aging faster.