Favorite post-heal moisturizer

sighthound

So, what does everyone like to use as just a daily, or semi-daily, skin moisturizer? I know that it's recommended to stay away from the scented, or alcohol based stuff during the healing process. But do you guys/gals use something else after it has healed?

I just bought some new stuff (lubriderm advanced therapy) to try out. Not sure if any other brands are recommended.

In the winter when it's dry, I find that Lubriderm dries too quickly. I use:

Shea Moisture - Raw Shae, Chamomile & Argan oil. It's long lasting, smells good for man or woman, don't need much. Pretty much all natural and organic

Deionized Water, Raw Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Oil*, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter*, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter*, Olus Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Nut Oil, Centhera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Borage Officinalis Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Rosa Rubiginosa (Rosehip) Seed Oil, , Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Boswellia Serrata (Frankincense) Oil, Chamomile Extract, Myrrh Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract *Certified Organic Ingredient.

I use Gold Bond Ultimate Healing with Aloe. Has been great to stop my legs from itching at night during winter months, and all year as a general moisturizer. My trouble usually is oily skin, but there are places on me that can use this. I've used it on my tattoos (once well healed - at least a month), and they feel and look fine.

This stuff in the advanced care variety (no aloe): Borage Therapy Dry Skin Care Smells a little funky, like rooibos tea, but the smell disappears. It makes a good itchy-tattoo soother too.

I like to use an alpha hydroxy lotion in the winter but it's a really stupid idea to use it the day before you get tattooed - it seems to linger in the skin and makes it sting horribly. Don't make my mistakes.

I like Sympathy for the Skin by Lush. It's on the pricey side, but it's light enough to not feel greasy and it absorbs really well. On the pricey side, but it does a great job, in my opinion. I tried Aveeno, Cetaphil, St. Ives, Eucerin, Curel, but everything just felt like it just sat on my skin instead of moisturizing it. I also tried Dream Cream and Charity Pot from Lush, but both those were too thick for my liking. Also, most of these turned out to be incompatible with my skin/comedogenic and would make my upper arms/shoulder areas break out.

Oh, you are completely IN fashion with the tattoos you are rocking!

I think the original question was more about moisturizers after the tattoo has healed.

Oh, my bad! Guilty of just skimming through the thread before posting :rolleyes: I even read the thread title a little too quick, haha.

I have never used any specific post heal moisturizer. I don't mind that they look kinda "settled" and a little lived in.

I don't use any moisturizer on mine either ... mostly because I can't reach most of it! :D But dry skin gets itchy so I'm always rubbing it on my hands and arms. Vanity, too. No one likes a girl's hands to be all chapped and cracked.

Although, perhaps I lied. My face moisturizer has UV protection in it - SPF 30. Helps with the sun exposure on my face, and I do take any left over and rub it over my shoulders for a little UV protection for parts of the tattoo that stick out of my shirt.

So maybe that's a consideration - using moisturizer with UV protection to keep those colors bright.

hah, guilty of being super lazy too. It's nice to see some more organic alternatives, kinda like in sunscreen they put all kinds of nasty stuff in them.

Anyways, my skin can get pretty dry and itchy in the winter so I'll count that as a benefit haha. And, uh, softer and smoother overall skin, I suppose. It can be nice to see some of original color and luster come back to them when they are moisturized. But I also like the settled and worn in look, too. It's all good to me!

I am usually not putting it on my healed tattoo specifically, but I always do my legs and shoulders after a shower. That's pretty much going to hit my tattoos. I'll be the same way with sunscreen in the summer.

I use the plain Aveeno and Aquaphor for a healing. I used a little coconut oil at the end of the latest one when I ran out of unscented lotion. I didn't sprout trees or anything.

My skin drys allot during the winter and it hurts and itches like crazy....

I usually keep my tattoos moisturize due to excessive dry skin...

I have been using aveno but it really has a heavy feeling on your skin... It's also causing my pores to clog up... It's also leaving a heavy coat of dry lotion...

I am hoping that Udderly Smooth does the job... :)