Can this really be happening??

silentspring

Hi

I'm from New Zealand... I'm 36 & had my first tattoo at 18. When I was 34 I got stupid dumb breast cancer and in December 14 I got a tattoo to symbolize the journey blah blah.

Anyway, the red areas took longer to heal than the rest, and then in late January I noticed a bump in one section, like a bit of a raised itchy area. I scratched it and the top came off and left what appeared to be a raised red area with a deep pin hole in the middle.

I went to the Dr, she said hmmm, that looks like squamous cell carcinoma! I'm like wtf? So long story short they biopsy it a few days later... The results come back as a keratoacanthoma, unable to exclude squamous cell carcinoma!

That was two weeks ago. Tomorrow I'm missing my friend's wedding so I can have surgery, wide local excision, to remove the lesion.

I guess I came here to see if anyone has ever come across this kind of thing before, and to get ideas for a cover up as it's gonna be a bit ugly.

I love the red and I'm super gutted I won't be getting any more!

Look forward to seeing how this plays out!

The photo attached shows the progression just in three weeks

Best of luck. Cancer worries me as it runs on both sides of my family. My Mother's father died of lung cancer that spread to his brain and lymph nodes. My Father's mother had breast cancer and survived a double masectomy. I have a lot of odd shaped and colored moles, which I have had checked. I plan on getting close to full coverage on my body and always wondered if tattoos would hide any problematic moles and make me miss them until it was too late. Again good luck in your fight.

@silentspring - wishing you a speedy recovery. Your tattoo does indeed look pretty impressive given the circumstances! I doubt any of us can advise what to do about it, but I will say that there is a local old timer who has a faded old chest eagle that has a huge scar from his pacemaker right in the middle of it. It looks tough as shit. So see how it all heals and then decide if you want to rework it or not!

And crossing my fingers for a clean report from pathology.

Thank you all for your kind replies. I will keep you posted about the pathology.

I emailed the artist today and asked for the details of the ink ingredients so I can possibly identify a toxin. I'm wondering if he will bother replying since I've emailed the shop about this a few times and I get responses from the counter girl which are vague and unhelpful. Today she replied and said she had forwarded my email to him, which made me wonder if he has even seen the earlier ones...

I won't be going back there that's for sure!

Thank you all for your kind replies. I will keep you posted about the pathology.

I emailed the artist today and asked for the details of the ink ingredients so I can possibly identify a toxin. I'm wondering if he will bother replying since I've emailed the shop about this a few times and I get responses from the counter girl which are vague and unhelpful. Today she replied and said she had forwarded my email to him, which made me wonder if he has even seen the earlier ones...

I won't be going back there that's for sure!

I could help if you know the brand of the ink used? Keep us posted!

I found this photo I took of the ink, can you identify it?

Yes. That's Fantasia Ink.

Fantasia Tattoo Inks

Looking up ingredients now.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is some info.

http://info.painfulpleasures.com/help-center/tattoo-information/top-brands-golden-age-tattoo-inks#Fantasia%20Tattoo%20Inks

Will find more on actual ingredients later...

Though be ware that it seems that most company's tend to keep the ingredients list close to their chest...

You can find "generic" info around forums from ink chemist and company owners.

Worst case scenario, I have a friends at Rice University who can help me figure this out.....

I will just need to get my hands in one of their bottles...

Ill keep you posted,

@xcom Fantasia is a fine pigment to use. I've even it used on myself. You can stop the witch hunt, and honestly, it isn't very appropriate for you to be talking about this on the board. I can pretty much guarantee it has nothing to do with the pigment.

@CultExciter, I am sure it is, I never said otherwise.

I am just trying to help.

In the other hand makes me wonder what or why is not appropriate about what I posted.

I have not said anything that you cant find already on the internet.

It's all black magic.... Ill just back out before I get burned.

Because it perpetuates misinformation and incorrect perceptions. If you don't understand why that is inappropriate then you are in the wrong place.

I understand your above statement. What I did not understand is your vagueness.

My hands are up and I am complying with your orders. :D

I understand your above statement. What I did not understand is your vagueness.

My hands are up and I am complying with your orders. :D

Thank you for your attempt at helping me xcom. I'm sorry that you have been accused of starting a witch hunt, when actually if the witches were honest about their ingredients this wouldn't need to be happening.

I don't know how anyone can think they can guarantee anything about a cancerous reaction (cells tested in an actual lab) on my skin which is mimicked to a lesser degree on ALL OF THE RED AREAS.

Cultexciter I admit I'm fairly unlucky but you've got no right to try to shut this conversation down.

I ask what is in the ink for my own health and that of my fellow humans.

X swear words x

- - - Updated - - -

Because it perpetuates misinformation and incorrect perceptions. If you don't understand why that is inappropriate then you are in the wrong place.

What misinformation is being perpetuated here precisely? A product I can find no information on has caused an allergic reaction which has turned cancerous (contact dermatitis can do this if the allergen is not removed).

It's very hard to see what is inappropriate about trying to identify the allergen.

Keep your propaganda out of my thread please

This particular brand of ink is linked to cancer. Mine. There is no misinformation here

Technically everything you have personally consumed or been near is now linked to cancer. It is an extremely unfortunate situation and I'm sorry you are going through it. Also it is a lovely tattoo and the scar will only add to it's beauty.