New, very new

rufio

Hi all,

My name is Rik. Im from the Netherlands. Been thinking of getting a tattoo quite a time now and know what i want as a design. Now the right artist :D

(This would be my first tattoo)

Hi all, thank you for the warm welcome.

Amsterdam is really close for me but im willing to travel across the world for the right tattoo artist. Im looking for a artist that can combine Linescaping with colour (waterpaint).

If you guys know any I apreciate it alot. Ive seen Chaim Machlev and i love his lines but unfortnately he doesnt work with color alot.

@rufio , the Canadian Colouring Book, at your service haha

- - - Updated - - -

@rufio i searched Jay Freestyle tattoos.

Not my thing at all. I think they may look exciting framed on the wall (or your PC desktop wallpaper zing!) but do nothing for me in terms of intensity and impact within tattooing as a medium. My opinion is that this tattoo style does not convey the power, the WHOA factor. I can't tell what it is from a distance, nevermind I can't really tell what's going on looking closely. It's confusing and complicated, trying too hard to be different. I think that tattoos in that style will lose their definition over time.

Airbrush-look tattoos...might look cool on the side of your boogie van but I think looks silly on the human body. But that's just me, not a fan.

Why get an abstract looking dragon or phoenix when you can just get a straight up bold dragon/phoenix/owl/whatever? A lot to be said about simplicity.

If you are interested in something more abstract as a tattoo, stick with black geometric design work and check out tattooers like Thomas Hooper, Gerhard Wiesbeck Tomas Tomas, Jondix, etc. There are a lot of tattooers around the world that may not be as well known as the above but can execute this style. It has that powerful primitive vibe, almost like a more intricate modern tribal tattoo.

(my bolding)

I quite agree.

Meant to link to these earlier this evening but the husband intervened with wine, so adding @bongsau 's quote here too.

c92630808b0911e2a9dd22000a9e29a7_7.jpg

10514018_897007560315634_1473665637_n.jpg

Dave is an excellent tattooer, very, very versatile (@davedecrom) works in Rotterdam and possibly also Amsterdam.

- - - Updated - - -

a panther of his too, for the LST regulars :) <wine>

11007779_1541340296116438_401127487_n.jpg

@rufio I would suggest turning off your computer and looking at real tattoos instead. You said you're willing to travel, so I'd recommend going to a good convention and looking at tattoos there. Paris is this weekend, so it's probably too late for you to hop on a train and go to that one, but London is coming up in the fall, I believe in September or October. These are both world-class conventions and if you go you'll be able to see some of the best tattooing in the world in person. I know that when I started getting tattooed, seeing tattoos in person was really critical in helping me to understand what works about tattoos, what gives them, like @bongsau said, the WHOA factor. There were things that I thought were really impressive in pictures on the internet that were far less so when I saw them in person, never mind how they'll look with some years on them. There were other tattoos that I wasn't crazy about when I saw pictures of them, and I'm thinking of Chad Koeplinger's tattoos here specifically, but when I saw them in person they were so strong and bold and powerful and vibrant, and I immediately understood what I'd been missing in just seeing the pictures. The point is that tattoo isn't something you can meaningfully understand without leaving your desk chair. Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.